Nightlong torture to DU’s 4 students in Abrar style
Published: 03:43 PM, 22 January 2020
Photo: Daily Bangladesh
Four students have been reportedly beating overnight by the others in the style of Abrar — a second-year student who was beaten to death in the BUET’s Sher-e-Bangla Hall on October 7 — at Shaheed Surgent Hall of Dhaka University (DU) on Tuesday night.
The complaints arose against the Chhatra League’s dispersed committee vice-president Anwar Hossain, joint general secretary Amir Hamza, hall parliament’s vice-president Saifullah Abbasi Ananta and many others.
It was learned that the BCL guestroom was operating at around 11:00 pm on Tuesday. Md Mukim Chowdhury, university’s second-year student of the Department of Tourism and Hospitality Management, was called to the guestroom on suspicion of ‘Shibir’.
There Chhatra League’s dispersed committee vice-president Anwar Hossain and joint general secretary Amir Hamza put mental pressure on him with the help of others.
Not accepting the allegation, he was beaten with a stick, stump, and rod. Later, Sanowar Hossain, a third-year student of the Department of Political Science, was brought to the guestroom after seeing the phone’s chat list. Chhatra League leaders beat him there too. Unable to endure the beating, they both lay on the floor and lay down.
Shortly thereafter, Minhaj Uddin, a second-year student of the Department of Islamic History and Culture, and Afsar Uddin of the Department of Arabic was brought to the guestroom. Chhatra League leaders continued to torture them till 2:00 pm.
Later, they were handed over to the Shahbag Police Station by a proctorial team. Police rushed them to Dhaka Medical College Hospital.
Chhatra League leaders claim that Shibir-related books were recovered from them. However, when the reporters asked for names or evidence — they could not give any.
Although they were called to the guestroom on suspicion of Shibir, the Chhatra League could not find any evidence of their involvement in the Shibir politics. When contacted the accused Anwar Hossain and Amir Hamza, their phones were found switched off.
No one tortured them. They have been handed over to the police with the help of the Hall administration and the proctorial team, said Professor AKM Golam Rabbai, proctor of Dhaka University. “If nothing found from them, they will be released.”
- Jibon crushed to death under Nilachal
- 6 killed as microbus carrying wedding party hits roadside tree
- Two held in Paltan with 10,000 Yaba
- 3 drug dealer held with 404 bottles Phensidyl
- Corona death toll may hit 40,000 in London
- BNP continues its unannounced war against court: Quader
- Coronavirus death toll rises to 21 in Italy
- Digital Banking Fair in Noakhali
- Azan in Mike consented in US city
- Finally US, Taliban to sign peace deal
- Puja Cherry’s crush married another Puja
- Mongolian president, foreign minister under quarantine
- Youths will create employment opportunities now
- Mugger pulled bag, woman dies falling from rickshaw
- 100 million people to get 100 services in Mujib Borsho
- ‘No sustainable development possible without quality education’
- Temperature likely to rise
- 20 bus travelers killed in collision with train
- Coronavirus death toll surges past 200 in Iran
- Tigress confirm World Cup exit in hat-trick loss
- February 29: A rare day of calendar
- Today’s sports on TV
- 3 killed as bus ditched in Cumilla
- Robber killed in Moulvibazar gunfight
- A Hindu bride weds in Muslim neighbourhood amid Delhi violence
- First British coronavirus death confirmed
- WHO declares `highest alert` over coronavirus outbreak
- Political uncertenity grows in Malaysia
- England secures comfortable victory over Pakistan
- Quader urges to accept electricity price-hike
- All News »
- 1.10 min video of Papiya leaked
- Salman Shah`s wishes fulfilled: Samira
- Papiya used 12 Russian beauties as bait for VIPs
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- Investigation underway on those involved with Papiya: HM
- Death toll climbs to 21 in Delhi clashes
- Two doctors die of coronavirus within 24hrs
- Coronavirus: 2363 died, nearly 78 thousand infected
- Tk 200 bank notes, gold and silver coins to be launched
- Newly-elected Dhaka mayors Taposh, Atiqul take oath
- Amal Clooney will fight for Rohingya
- Chinese President lauds Sheikh Hasina
- Fly to space at TK 6 cr only!
- Power price hike again by Tk 7.13 per unit
- Salman Shah commits suicide, not murdered: PBI
- Fire kills 3 incl child in capital’s Eskaton
- Motorcycle accident kills 2 women in Banani
- 112 more die of coronavirus
- Delhi violence: Death toll rises to 34
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- Saudi suspends entry for Umrah over coronavirus
- Metals more ‘harmful’ than nicotine found in Benson, Gold Leaf
- Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in UAE
- 120 terrorists killed in Niger military operation
- Chaos over mobile theft in Soumya’s wed
- Pilkhana carnage day today
- Take measures to control mosquitoes ahead of rainy season: PM
- Zimbabwe opt to bat in Dhaka Test
- 23 Feb golden day of Bengali nation