Nigeria church attack kills 19, including 2 priests
Published: 02:06 PM, 25 April 2018
At least 19 people, including two priests, were killed Tuesday after gunmen opened fire at a church at Middle Belt of Benue province in Nigeria.
According to police sources, two priests and 17 worshippers were killed when armed men, believed to be cattle herders, stormed a Catholic church during early morning Mass on Tuesday in a remote village in Benue state.
State police spokesman Terver Akase said the attackers, thought to be Fulani herdsmen, set many homes on fire.
"The herdsmen burnt nearly 50 houses during the attack and sacked the entire community, " said Akase adding that "We expect arrests to be made because they (attackers) are becoming more brazen."
According to Akase, 10 residents were killed by armed men a few days before Tuesday`s attack.
Violent clashes between the Fulani herdsmen, who are mostly Muslims, and farmers, who are predominantly Christians, in the central state dates to 2013, according to local media reports.
Cattle herders have evicted farmers by initiating deadly attacks in Nigeria`s Middle Belt, media reports say.
At least 72 people were killed in January following weeks of clashes between nomadic herdsmen and farmers in the central part of the West African country.
- Five detained for spreading rumors over corona in Rangpur
- Boris Johnson`s pregnant girlfriend diagnosed with coronavirus
- Kathalbari-Shimulia ferry halted to prevent coronavirus
- Healthy newborn to coronavirus infected parents
- 34 more people tested for Coronavirus infection in Chattogram
- Coronavirus epidemic: Death toll surging to 65,000
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 63,000
- BGMEA urges owners to shut factories until Apr 11
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- Sehri and Iftar schedule revealed for upcoming Ramadan
- Coronavirus testing lab to be set-up in Cumilla
- 33 houses under lockdown in Shariatpur
- Madhukhali couple tested negative for coronavirus
- 2 Monipuri families under home quarantine
- Another woman in Gaibandha tests positive for coronavirus
- MP stands beside 800 families in Jamaganj
- Lightning kills 3 in Maheshkhali
- ‘Coronavirus test will be added to all medical college hospital’
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- 2 RMG workers killed in Mymensingh road crash
- 1 killed, 15 injured in Brahmanbaria clash
- 8 types of coronavirus spread around the world
- Three physicians among 23 quarantined in Chattogram
- Call for Shab-e-Barat prayers at home
- Former Barcelona defender Carlos infected with coronavirus
- U-17 Women`s World Cup postponed
- Maximum 5pc LC margin for baby food import
- Coronavirus death surpasses 60,000
- China remembers coronavirus victims
- All News »
- School holiday draws to Eid
- German minister commits suicide over ‘corona crisis worries’
- Corona death mounts to 33,976, infected over .72m
- Corona death toll crosses 40,000; infected over .8 million
- Lessons for secondary level students begins on Sangsad TV
- N Korea fires missiles amid coronavirus outbreak
- Padma Bridge’s last pillar work completed
- England plans to return field by early May
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 51
- Kurmitola Hospital to treat coronavirus patients only
- Army to go tough from today
- Thai King self-isolates with harem of 20 women!
- 4 held in Saudi for claiming corona is ‘punishment from Allah’
- Edu Minister for continue students’ studies at home
- Salman Khan`s nephew Abdullah dies at 38
- Comedian Ken Shimura died of coronavirus
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
- Infant, younger than a year dies of coronavirus
- No new coronavirus case detected in last 24 hrs: IEDCR
- Construction work of Akij’s corona hospital resumed
- Corona epidemic: Spain record 821 more deaths in a day
- Italy coronavirus death toll surpass 12,000
- Coronavirus case rises to 49 in country
- Corona death climbs to 30,879, cases over .66m
- Citywide quarantine in Moscow
- What Trudeau’s wife says after healing from coronavirus
- US coronavirus death toll surpasses 2,000
- Indian-origin South African HIV researcher dies from coronavirus