Newly-elected MPs take oath
Published: 11:16 AM, 3 January 2019 Updated: 02:14 PM, 3 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The newly-elected lawmakers to the parliament were sworn in on Thursday. The oath-taking ceremony was held at 11:10 am.
Speaker Dr Shirin Sharmin Chaudhury conducted the oath at the 'Oath Room' in the parliament building. The outgoing Speaker first took oath herself as an MP and then administered the oath to other AL MPs at the Oath Room of the Jatiya Sangsad Bhaban.
Earlier on Wednesday, the election commission (EC) has published the Gazette containing the names and addresses of candidates of 298 constituencies. On the same day, the Gazette had been sent to JS Secretariat.
The polling was held between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm peacefully amid a festivity in 299 seats out of total 300 on Sunday last as voting in Gaibandha-3 constituency was suspended due to death of a candidate earlier.
However, the results of Brahmanbaria-2 constituency was postponed as voting in three centers of the constituency was suspended.
According to the results of the poll, Awami League bagged 259 seats, HM Ershad-led Jatiya Party secured 20 seats while BNP got just five seats.
Workers Party bagged three seats while Jatiya Samajtantrik Dal two seats, Bikalpa Dhara Bangladesh two seats and Tariqat Federation one seat.
Gonoforum bagged two seats while Manju-led Jatiya Party (JP) one seat and independent candidates got three seats.
- Williamson ton, Grandhomme power New Zealand in thriller
- Ex-hockey captain Ibrahim Saber passes away
- Bangladeshis stuck off Tunisia disembark
- Naogaon youth admits to raping girl after killing her mother
- 3 twin sisters of Mymensingh rescued
- UN expert blames Saudi for Khasuggi Killing
- 4 charged with murder over downing of MH17
- Bangladesh made fastest growth in Asia-Pacific region
- Use your phone as a robot to avoid boring work !
- Dhaka Abahani thrash Manang Marshyangdhi 5-0
- Monkeys face climate change extinction threat
- Dubai’s Quranic Park landscape to express story of Islam!
- PCB to review cricket side, support personnel`s performance
- Upbeat Tigers take on Australia tomorrow
- SC upholds HC order on minimum age for FF
- UNO to get Pajero worth Tk 90 lakh
- Bangladesh sets global model in cutting poverty says PM in JS
- World No Tobacco Day tomorrow
- New Zealand restrict South Africa to 241
- Colorful pictures emblazon schools environment
- Govt will identify 30 lakh martyrs: PM
- Hilsa’s abundance in Padma-Meghna
- Quader asks to form new committees before national council
- 108th birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal tomorrow
- India opener Dhawan out of World Cup
- Govt to introduce health insurance for all: PM
- Jubo League leader stabbed dead in Madaripur
- Dr Nurun Nahar made IU law dept chairperson
- Navy Chief returns home
- Selima,Tuku in BNP’s standing committee
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs
- Mila’s assistant threw acid at Sanjari’s private parts!
- Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- 8 children injured as ceiling of hospital caves in
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- England wins beating Windies
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- 2 students killed in Pabna road crash
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Bangladesh informs UN about Myanmar’s non-cooperation
- Facing measles outbreaks, NY bans religious vaccination exemption
- Most-detailed-ever; black hole mystery disclosure
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- Cop sues wife on charge of torture for dowry