New pillow-scam found in Habiganj SHMCH!
Published: 06:45 PM, 25 November 2019 Updated: 07:17 PM, 25 November 2019
Photo: Daily Bangladesh
After pillow-scam of Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant, another grand theft was found at Habiganj Sheikh Hasina Medical College. The half allocation of the tenders worth Tk 15 crore has already been grabbed in collaboration with authorities.
In the inquiry, it is known that a tender was called in 2018 to buy books, periodicals and other equipment for academic activities. Then in a press release signed by Prof Dr Abu Sufiyan – it was informed that a three-member market price-checking committee headed by Dr Md Shaheen Bhuiyan, lecturer of the Physiology Department, was formed.
Seven companies participated in the tender. But without the signature of the committee — ‘Nirjhora Enterprise’ of Dhaka’s Shyamoli and Pumon Trade Corporation of Motijhil’s Grant Commission building — was given the duty of delivering the goods.
The total allocation of the project was Tk 15.50 crore. Tk 1,61,97,748 crore was deposited in the public treasury of the VAT and Income Tax sector. And the expenditure on procurement was shown Tk 13,87,81,109 crore.
But in reality, the value of the goods is not more than Tk 5 crore, says a source involved in the tender process. “The rest of the money has been divided.”
According to sources, 67 Lenovo laptops (Model 110 Core i5 8th Generation) were priced at Tk 99,49,500 - the price of each Tk 1,48,500. However, the Flora, computer components seller organizations, are selling the same model laptops at only Tk 42,000. HP Color Printer (Model Jet Pro M452nw) of Tk 60,000 has been charged at Tk 2,48,900.
Besides, the cost of the conference table, executive chair and sound system for the seating of 50 people have been shown at Tk 61.29 lakh where it was spent Tk 1,22,400 per person. The chairs have ‘Yamin Furniture’ written on it, but the table has no stickers.
According to the findings, the furniture of the brand company such as Hatil, Regal is less than half the price. Not only that, the 15 bookshelves general quality are priced Tk 6.60 lakh, 5 steel almirahs priced Tk 2.85 lakh, 10 steel file cabinets priced Tk 4.22 lakh, 25 steel racks priced 13.97 lakh and 6475 books’ price showed Tk 4,49,08,664.
At the same time, the bill of 104 plastic models of various organs of the human body was showed Tk 1,14,86,313. The price of the book ‘Pediatric Surgery’ (set of 2 volumes) in the country market is Tk 33,000, but Nirjhora Enterprise has taken the price of Tk 70,550.
Meanwhile, another contractor named Punam Trade International in Motijheel’s Grants Commission building supplied 81 Carl Zeiss Primo Star Binocular Microscopes at a rate of Tk 3.25 lakh that costs Tk 2,63,325 – But it's market value is Tk 1,39,300. 31 Punam International ACs were taken the cost of Tk 61.38 lakh and Tk per fridges were supplied at Tk 85,000.
The cost of a digital weighing machine for laboratory use has been charged Tk 6.40 lakh - whose market value is Tk 40,000.
Besides, charts printed on paper containing pictures of various organs of the human body were found in the market from Tk 100 to Tk 500, but the college authorities bought each chart at a price of Tk 7,800. The cost of purchasing 450 such charts was Tk 35.10 lakh. Hitachi Company’s 79-inch interactive board ‘Starboard ’is available in the country for Tk 1.35 lakh — but the same company has shown Tk 15.35 lakh.
The two teachers, who were reluctant to disclose the name, said that some books that were bought would not be benefitted for MBBS class students. Because these books are useful for research. Through this, students will be deprived of proper education.
Following the government procurement policy, the market rate scrutiny committee has tendered the two firms of Dhaka as the lowest bidder. There has been no irregular corruption, said Dr Md Abu Sufian, principal of Sheikh Hasina Medical College. “I sacrificed many for setting up the dream institution of Habiganj. As a child of Habiganj, I want the organization to raise its head.”
- Coronavirus death toll jumps to 25 with 830 cases: govt
- Today’s Sports on TV
- Historic Mass Upsurge Day today
- 1 GB data for Tk 1
- Tigers to take on Pakistan today
- Fire at Parabat Express in B’baria
- Paturia-Daulatdia ferry services resume
- Historic Mass Upsurge Day on Friday
- Saudi Arabia again deports 217 Bangladeshis
- China locks down cities to curb virus outbreak
- DU to confer honorary doctorate on Bangabandhu
- Rapid Rating Chess tournament on Friday
- Bangladesh welcomes ICJ verdict
- Bangla Academy Sahitya Puroshkar 2019 announced
- PSTU expels 15 for ragging
- AL to pay homage to Bangabandhu at Tungipara
- Chinese New Year gala celebrated
- 19 killed in south Sudan tribal clashes
- No national channel to broadcast Bangladesh-Pakistan series
- FM hoping for millstone in remittance growth
- Bangladeshi Omar Ishrak named Intel Chairman
- New hope for distress Rohingyas
- Sheikh Russell Children Park to be opened on March 17
- Worker died falling from building
- ‘Action to be taken against corrupted officials’
- Tambadu: The man who stands beside distress Rohingya
- ‘Mushroom Soup’ for diabetes patients
- Burundi reach final beating Bangladesh 3-0
- Gambia satisfies over ICJ’s effort
- De facto’s arguments were wrong: ICJ
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Khulna faces Rajshahi in BPL final today
- ICJ orders Myanmar to protect Rohingya, to preserve evidence
- Coronavirus: Everything you need to know
- Two siblings among 3 electrocuted in Hazaribagh
- Gabtoli turmoil after throwing eggs
- China virus deaths rise to 17, heightening global alarm
- Lawmaker Abdul Mannan in ICU
- Top 5 batsmen in Bangabandhu BPL
- Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
- Bride’s mother elopes with groom’s father
- Ronaldo makes accidental kiss to Dybala
- Bangladesh meet Burundi in semifinal today
- 5 held with marijuana in Sirajganj
- DMP’s letter to EC to keep close trade fair for 2 days
- E-passport to be launched today
- ‘Law enforcers will work under EC directives’
- SSC-equivalent exam rescheduled
- Over 100 killed in Yemen missile, drone attack
- World court’s four orders against Myanmar
- E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
- Seven killed in Indonesia bridge collapse