New hope for distress Rohingyas
Published: 10:10 PM, 23 January 2020 Updated: 10:10 PM, 23 January 2020
Photo: Daily Bangladesh
The International Court of Justice (ICJ) has issued four interim orders in the Rohingya genocide case against Myanmar that was filed by Gambia. The court unanimously issued the order. At the same time, orders have been given to prevent the Rohingya genocide.
The Rohingya people, who are taken shelter in Bangladesh after Rohingya oppression in Rakhine, have become optimistic after the verdict of ICJ at The Hague, Netherlands on Thursday.
The refugees, who fled Myanmar’s Rakhine state, have taken refuge in Ukhiya and Teknaf in the face of persecution, saying the “ICJ verdict will pave the way for their return to home”.
Md Bazlur Rahman, a refugee who had taken shelter in Rohingya camp, said “Myanmar army killed his brother. Two more brothers are still detained in Rakhine State. The atrocities we have suffered in Myanmar, I hope we will get the desired justice from today’s trial.”
“We are grateful to the Gambia for going against Myanmar,” said Noor Bashar, the Rohingya leader of the Teknaf Leda refugee camp, claiming “Denial of genocide in the ICJ hearing proves Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi a liar. Because the genocide on Rohingya was proven.”
In August 2017, the Myanmar army launched a raid in Rohingya areas centering the attack of separatist on several security posts in Rakhine. After August 25, 2017, Rohingyas took shelter in Bangladesh in the face of brutal torture of the Myanmar Army.
Gambia sued the UN’s Court International Court of Justice (ICJ) on November 11, 2019, calling the brutality a ‘genocide’. As a preliminary step in the case, the country urged the court to take urgent steps to protect the Rohingya and not intensify the conflict.
But Myanmar’s de facto leader Aung San Suu Kyi denied the genocide claiming that the UN court does not have jurisdiction to prosecute the matter. She urged judges to dismiss the genocide cases.
- Interest of postal saving will be revisited: Kamal
- Teacher takes salary without signing attendance sheet!
- Three robbers detained in Jamalpur
- Mysterious ship washes up Irish coast
- Diamond Princess passengers disembark after quarantine ends
- 6 girls injured after tree falls in Noakhali
- FIFA cancels planed meeting due to coronavirus
- Walton to export smartphones in US
- Padma Bridge rail route being connected with Trans-Asian network
- Match officials for Bangladesh-Zimbabwe series
- TCB preparing for Ramadan
- Tomato to get immaculate skin
- Mashrafe’s farewell after BAN vs ZIM series!
- Bangladesh to take on Pakistan tomorrow
- ‘Problems can be solved by forming joint working group’
- Mehazabien comes with new look
- SC bar association polls on March 11,12
- AL local government nomination board meets today
- Video of principal’s dance in Hindi songs goes viral
- UPDF man shot dead in Rangamati
- Karnataka singer Sushmita commits suicide over dowry harassment
- Mid-air plane collision in Australia kills 4
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!
- Padma Bridge’s 25th span to be installed on Language Day
- Four-tier security measures at Shaheed Minar
- Bus-auto rickshaw crash killed 2 in Bogura
- Temperature likely to rise over country
- One more dies from coronavirus in Hong Kong
- Two drivers killed in bus-truck collision
- Worker killed in Rupganj gas cylinder blast
- All News »
- Corona patient shot dead in North Korea
- ‘Kache Ashar Oshomapto Golpo’ to be aired on 13 channels
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Young Tigers to receive ‘Water Salute’ at airport
- China’s coronavirus death toll jumps to 1,113
- Soumya to get married this month
- Soumya with future wife
- Heroes return home today
- PM opens Sheikh Kamal IT Centre in Rajshahi
- Coronovirus deaths surge past 1,300
- Saudi to invest $30bn in Bangladesh
- Fire at DR Tower in Naya Paltan
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666
- Marriage at office on Valentine’s Day getting no leave
- Good news to honey farmers
- Srijit’s anger over Tahsan
- Coronavirus: Chinese hospitals discharge 4,740 recovered patients
- Boat capsize in Rangamati: 5 killed, 3 missing
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- Valentine, Pahela Falgun celebration same day
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- Sundarbans Day today
- 6,723 coronavirus patients discharged after recovery
- What Srijit told about Tahsan
- Samsung unveils new foldable phone Galaxy Z Flip
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Death toll in China surges past 1,500
- South Africa faces England in 1st T20 today
- Integrated admission test for all public universities from now
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation