New Zealand wins first ODI by 61 runs
Published: 06:07 PM, 6 January 2018 Updated: 07:12 PM, 6 January 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Kane Williamson scored a brilliant century and Tim Southee captured three wickets in a tremendous spell which guide New Zealand to victory over Pakistan in a rain-shortened One Day International on Saturday.
New Zealand gained the victory in the match by 61 runs under the Duckworth-Lewis system to take a 1-0 lead in the five-game series while ending Pakistan´s nine-match winning streak in ODIs.
With Williamson top scoring with 115 off 117 balls, New Zealand scored a total 315 for seven wickets on a wet and windy day at the Basin Reserve.
Pakistan was struggling at 161-6 in the 31st over when rain forced the players from the field before play was eventually called off. Opening batsman Fakhar Zaman finished unbeaten on 82 but received little support from his teammates.
Southee delivers a successive delivery in the first when he dismissed Azhar Ali and Babar Azam in a leg before wicket. He missed out a hat-trick but dismissed Shoaib Malik, caught behind for 13 after Mohammad Hafeez fell to a Trent Boult bouncer for one which left Pakistan in deep trouble at 37-4 long before the rain set in.
Pakistan had won the toss and chose to field first.
For more than 20 overs the umpires kept the bails off after they tired of repeatedly replacing them after they were blown away.
Kane Williamson battered eight fours and one six to reach his 10th ODI century after he was given a life on 26 when dropped by wicketkeeper Sarfraz Ahmed. With Henry Nicholls, they shared a 90-run partnership off 80 balls, the end for Williamson came in the 48th over when he steered a Rumman Raees delivery to the safe hands of Hasan Ali who was central in most of the key New Zealand wickets.
Hassan Ali took a total of three wickets; Colin Munroe (58) and Henry Nicholls (50) were both caught behind off Hasan who also bowled Ross Taylor for 12 to finish with three for 61. While Mohammad Amir, Rumman Raees, Faheem Ashraf, Fakhar Zaman took one each.
New Zealand captain Kane Williamson was declared Man of the Match for his brilliant century in windy conditions.
The second match in the series will be held in Nelson on Tuesday.
Earlier, Pakistani skipper Sarfraz Ahmed had expressed hope that his team will continue its winning streak in the five-match ODI series against New Zealand.
- China remains with Myanmar on Rohingya issue
- New journey of Ranu Pagli !
- Treatment and medicine at Tk 5 only!
- Noble to fly for US
- RAB rescues abducted man from remote area, 4 held
- UNHCR praises Bangladesh
- Debiganj UNO office assistant killed in road crash
- Indian Cricket Board getting richer
- Day temp likely to fall (1-2) °C
- China’s hypersonic DF-17: Threat for regional stability
- Bede couple dies of snakebite in Satkhira
- Esha Gupta injures in road accident
- Android 10: Changes look of mobile OS
- Bride’s family cracked groom’s head in wedding gate
- Boris Johnson puts his feet up in Macron`s palace
- Miley Cyrus slams rumors she cheated on Liam Hemsworth
- Strict security in capital around Janmashtami
- Eng meets Aus in 2nd day of Ashes 3rd Test
- Housewife dies of dengue in Satkhira
- Gunfight between two groups kills drug trader in Satkhira
- Daily ‘polypill’ reduces heart disease, stroke: study
- Janmashtami today
- India’s ex-finance minister on 5-day remand
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- Lightning kills 9 in 4 districts
- `Action against who discourage Rohingya `
- August 15 and 21 are in same knot
- First successful Air-raid in history
- Kashmir: Bone of contention between India-Pakistan
- Israel detains 16 Palestinians in West Bank raids
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Sabbir invites PM to his wedding
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- App launches to prevent dengue
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- DU increases registration time for 52nd convocation
- 21st August: 15 yrs of bloody chapter
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- Jyoti’s new film in Kolkata
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves
- Elnaaz Norouzi: Iranian actress storms over social media
- World Mosquito Day today
- A new milestone for Purnima
- Newlyweds die in road crash returning from honeymoon