New Zealand police hold 'grave fears' for British tourist
Published: 12:33 PM, 7 December 2018 Updated: 12:33 PM, 7 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The father of a 22-year-old British tourist who has been missing in New Zealand for six days made a tearful plea for help in the case on Friday, but police say they now hold "grave fears" for her safety.
Grace Millane was last seen on Saturday evening in central Auckland. She had been staying at a backpacker hostel and left some of her belongings there. Her birthday was on Sunday but she didn't contact her family.
Detective Inspector Scott Beard said police have now confirmed that Millane entered the CityLife hotel with a male companion at about 9:40 p.m. on Saturday evening. Beard said the man is a person of interest in the case, and they are conducting a scene examination at a unit in the hotel.
David Millane spoke to media on Friday after arriving in New Zealand.
"Grace is a lovely, outgoing, fun-loving, family-oriented daughter," he said. "Grace has never been out of contact for this amount of time. She's usually in daily contact with either her mother, myself, her two brothers, or members of the family on social media."
Millane said his daughter was on a yearlong trip abroad that began in Peru.
"She arrived here on the 20th of November, and has been bombarding us with numerous photographs and messages of her adventures," Millane said. "We are all extremely upset, and it's very difficult at this time to fully describe the range of emotions we are going through."
Millane urged anybody who had seen or spoken to his daughter over the past week to contact police.
Beard said they have yet to find any evidence of foul play, and that the man they've spoken with was not in police custody. He said they were waiting for the British banks to update them on when Grace Millane's credit cards were last used.
Beard said police have more than 20 staff working on the case and have been reviewing hours of surveillance camera footage from around the city, which has proved crucial in tracking Millane's movements.
"It has now been six days since Grace was last seen," Beard said. "At this point, we hold grave fears for her safety."
- Woman commits suicide after poisoning 2 children
- Motorcyclist killed in Manikganj road crash
- Papua New Guinea PM Peter O`Neill resigns
- Two killed as covered van hits pickup
- England, Australia to play WC Warm Up today
- Boro paddy procurement drive begins in Narail
- Shakib on the brink of another milestone
- Mozammel to join Modi’s oath ceremony
- Iraq sentences 3 Frenchmen to death
- PM to leave home for 12-day tour Tuesday
- Miraz vows to cover up Tigers’ lack of leg-spinner
- Don`t want to see BRTC bankrupt: Quader
- Mahathir expected to visit Bangladesh at ‘year-end’
- Bangladesh-Japan to sign $2.5 bl ODA
- Habitual coffee drinkers really do wake up and smell coffee
- Study predicts shift to smaller animals over next century
- Exotic matter uncovered in the sun`s atmosphere
- PBI proves ex-Sonagazi OC `fault` in DSA
- Modi to take oath on Thursday
- IGP calls for increasing security ahead of Eid
- Bangladesh`s warm-up abandoned due to rain
- JS body urge to complete “Swadhinata Stambha” soon
- Eid Jamaat at 8:30 am
- 6 hours’ road reduced to 1.5 hour
- Hasan urges BNP not to do ‘ill politics’ over Khaleda’s health
- EC, Local Govt Division get new secretaries
- Cannes 2019: All the winners and losers of this year`s festival
- 72nd Cannes film festival winners at a glance
- Magnitude 8 earthquake strikes Peru
- Historical Conquest of Mecca
- All News »
- Contributions of General Aziz Ahmed as ex Director General of BGB (Part I)
- Boro paddy procurement drive begins in Narail
- Ronaldo coming to Dhaka in Mujib Year
- JS body discusses security of women, children
- Adventurous operation BEKPA-2 (Episode-1) under Captain Touquir
- Taylor, Williamson lead NZ to beat India
- Aruk Munshi: living reflect of Bangabandhu
- Ukraine`s new president Zelensky calls snap elections
- `Final should not decide my future`
- HC seeks reports of lab test on 93 more food items
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- The Army Chief of Bangladesh urges to increase interoperability of land forces
- AIUB pupil’s body recovered from GF`s house
- PM inaugurates Panchagarh Express
- Polls to suspended 5 UZs on June 18
- Rumin Farhana gets BNP’s reserve seat nomination
- OC withdrawn over schoolgirl Barsha’s suicide after rape
- 6 women among 11 killed in ‘massacre’ at bar
- 29 fake question leakers held in Satkhira
- 15 Bangladeshi survivors return home
- Panchagarh Express starts journey today
- On Mars, sands shift to a different drum
- Contributions of General Aziz Ahmed as ex Director General of BGB (Part II)
- Highest power generation recorded
- When Jail-guard are ‘drug dealers’!
- Archer named in England World Cup squad
- Poet Helal Hafiz hospitalized
- Mango bean to control diabetes
- Quader for salary, bonus before 25th Ramadan
- 4 of a family killed in gas cylinder blast