New Zealand police hold 'grave fears' for British tourist
Published: 12:33 PM, 7 December 2018 Updated: 12:33 PM, 7 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The father of a 22-year-old British tourist who has been missing in New Zealand for six days made a tearful plea for help in the case on Friday, but police say they now hold "grave fears" for her safety.
Grace Millane was last seen on Saturday evening in central Auckland. She had been staying at a backpacker hostel and left some of her belongings there. Her birthday was on Sunday but she didn't contact her family.
Detective Inspector Scott Beard said police have now confirmed that Millane entered the CityLife hotel with a male companion at about 9:40 p.m. on Saturday evening. Beard said the man is a person of interest in the case, and they are conducting a scene examination at a unit in the hotel.
David Millane spoke to media on Friday after arriving in New Zealand.
"Grace is a lovely, outgoing, fun-loving, family-oriented daughter," he said. "Grace has never been out of contact for this amount of time. She's usually in daily contact with either her mother, myself, her two brothers, or members of the family on social media."
Millane said his daughter was on a yearlong trip abroad that began in Peru.
"She arrived here on the 20th of November, and has been bombarding us with numerous photographs and messages of her adventures," Millane said. "We are all extremely upset, and it's very difficult at this time to fully describe the range of emotions we are going through."
Millane urged anybody who had seen or spoken to his daughter over the past week to contact police.
Beard said they have yet to find any evidence of foul play, and that the man they've spoken with was not in police custody. He said they were waiting for the British banks to update them on when Grace Millane's credit cards were last used.
Beard said police have more than 20 staff working on the case and have been reviewing hours of surveillance camera footage from around the city, which has proved crucial in tracking Millane's movements.
"It has now been six days since Grace was last seen," Beard said. "At this point, we hold grave fears for her safety."
- Assam toxic liquor death toll mounts to 84
- Mola in ponds improves others` nutritional quality
- Transplantation of boro paddy seedling gets momentum
- NASA greenlights SpaceX crew capsule test to ISS
- Two killed in Pekua clash
- We are on a rise as a team: Hetmyer
- UN Secy General condoles deaths in Chawkbazar fire
- Sadman, Riyad, Miraz strikes fifty in warm-up
- 7 drug traders among 30 held in Dinajpur
- Village doctor shot dead in Teknaf
- Dry weather with partly cloudy sky likely
- ‘Chemical godowns not removed despite drives is regretful’
- 1,482 bottles of Phensidyl recovered in Jashore
- Father, son among 4 killed in road crashes
- Sudan President declares year-long state of emergency
- PM at burn unit of DMCH
- 50 die after drinking poisonous liquor in India
- 5 decades of Bangabandhu title
- PM to visit Chawkbazar fire victims at DMCH today
- La Liga: Barcelona to face Sevilla tonight
- 1 killed as tree fall in capital, 7 injured
- Saudi Arabia strikes $10bn China deal
- Students’ council formed in 8,684 schools
- Fire broke in Cumilla Moon Hospital
- Evidence of ‘chemical’ connection to Churihatta fire found
- Wazed Mia works for humanity: Speaker
- Ultra-processed foods links cancer risk
- 10 shops gutted in Melandaha
- None would be able to destroy Bengali culture: PM
- Kartoa land more fertile for tea: Experts
- All News »
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Another spell of gas suspension in Capital Tuesday
- 16 burnt, 50 injured in Churihatta fire
- JnU BCL committee dissolved
- BCL factional clash hurt 45 in JnU
- Daily Bangladesh mourns death in Chawkbazar fire
- 1 killed as tree fall in capital, 7 injured
- Drug trader hurt in Chatmohor gunfight
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Gas supply shutdown in Dhaka including Savar
- Nation set to pay homage to language martyrs
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- Japan probe Hayabusa2 makes asteroid landing
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Death toll in Nigeria attack doubles to 130
- Samsung to launch US retail stores in smartphone push
- Prominent poet Al Mahmud dies
- Last tributes to poet Al Mahmud at Bangla Academy
- 1st phase of nomination withdrawal ends today
- General Osmani’s 35th death anniversary today
- Sadhan urges officials to brighten up govt image
- Zulfikar Ali will survive if he got your help
- SERG Zahurul Haque’s death anniversary observed
- No pardon for drug traders: IGP
- India shouldn`t play Pakistan in World Cup: Harbhajan
- Maduro blasts US for ‘stealing’
- BNP chalks out 2-day programme to mark Feb 21
- Shop gutted in Sylhet fire