Nearly 2,000 coronavirus deaths in US for 2nd day in a row
Published: 11:46 AM, 9 April 2020
The United States reported nearly 2,000 coronavirus deaths for the second day in a row, according to a tally by Johns Hopkins University as of Wednesday night.
Over a 24-hour period, 1,973 more people have died form COVID-19 in the country (slightly higher than the previous day’s toll of 1,939), bringing the total number of US fatalities to 14,695. The US death toll now exceeds that of Spain, which has suffered 14,555 deaths but has not surpassed Italy, whose toll stands at 17,669.
In New York, the epicentre of the US outbreak, the state’s governor noted the new single-day high for virus deaths at 779, but offered an optimistic view for the weeks to come.
“We are flattening the curve,” Andrew Cuomo told reporters, as he cited a decreasing hospitalization rate due to stay-at-home orders.
That optimism was shared by US President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence, who both said the data seemed to indicate a turn for the better.
“We are hopefully heading towards a final stretch, the light at the end of the tunnel,” Trump told reporters.
Pence chimed in: “We’re beginning to see glimmers of hope.”
As of Thursday morning, more than 88,000 people worldwide have died in the virus crisis, which has sent the global economy spiralling and forced billions of people to remain at home as much as possible.
As the economic downturn starts to bite, health experts stressed that any premature loosening of restrictions could accelerate the spread of a contagion that has already infiltrated nearly every country.
In France, one of the hardest-hit nations in Europe with more than 10,000 deaths, President Emmanuel Macron will address the nation next week to explain the path forward.
The confinement order issued on March 17 “will be extended” beyond the current deadline of April 15, an official close to Macron told AFP.
Italy and Spain are still recording hundreds of deaths a day, and the situation is also deteriorating in Britain, which saw a record 938 fatalities Wednesday as Prime Minister Boris Johnson spent the third day in intensive care.
In the Chinese city of Wuhan, where the novel coronavirus first emerged in December, there was cause for celebration as a ban on outbound travel was lifted.
- Libya killings: Case filed against 38 people
- Biden accuses Trump of trafficking in ‘resentment and fear’
- DU goes for online classes
- 2 girls commit suicide after failing in SSC exam
- Fierce protests in US: 3 protesters killed, 5 policemen shot
- 30 more test COVID-19 positive in Faridpur
- 3 of a family killed in Sirajganj road crash
- 9 including two nurses contract COVID-19 in Shariatpur
- Another policeman dies from coronavirus
- 1,256 more freedom fighters listed
- Illegal structures on govt canal
- SP greet 10 policemen after overcoming COVID-19 in Cumilla
- Bangladesh reports 1st Rohingya death in COVID-19 infection
- 3 incl lawyer, policeman die in Ctg
- PCR lab set up in Sheikh Fazilatunnessa hospital
- 90s popular musician Biplob now a taxi driver
- Abdul Halim named BSEC commissioner
- Fire at United Hospital: HC seeks report by Jun 14
- House owner fined as Aedes larvae found in building under-const
- 10 more UP chairmen-members suspended
- ACC director Basir’s bail plea rejected
- Imran pleas for lockdown-relax
- 1.5 crore families get govt relief
- DMP replaces three asst police commissioners
- Brutal murder story of Junko, who raped about 500 times in 44 day
- Laborer killed by overturning crane in Cumilla
- Hygiene not followed at bus terminals
- Abrar murder: Jion’s bail plea rejected
- Trade thru Bhomra land port resumes
- Gazipur reports 93 new infected cases
- All News »
- Noble made his wife Salsabil a model in music video
- Noble got married for 3rd time seven months ago!
- 4 cops charged for killing a black man in US
- 23 die, highest infection recorded in last 24 hrs
- Over 2000 infected in 24 hours, 15 dead
- 22 die, 1541 infected in last 24 hours
- Three killed as microbus falls into Munshiganj ditch
- Anandabazar editor Anirban Chattopadhyay resigns
- Record deaths, infections in 24 hours
- Karate coach Humayun Kabir Jewel dies
- Electronic mask developed to prevent coronavirus!
- Brazil’s COVID-19 deaths surge past Spain
- 1166 new infected in 24 hrs, 21 die
- Fire at United Hospital: 5 COVID-19 patients die
- Offices resume from May 31
- SSC-equivalent results published, pass 82.87 pc
- India backs hydroxychloroquine for coronavirus treatment
- Over 2000 infected in 24hrs, 22 dead
- Former national footballer Salauddin passes away
- Xi Jinping asks Chinese military to prepare for battle
- A thrilling operation by Police: 6 youths rescued from Sundarbans
- Record new cases in 24 hours, 37 dead
- 26 Bangladeshis shot dead in Libya
- Slain 26 Bangladeshis to be buried in Libya
- 1764 infected in 24 hours, 28 dead
- Happy birthday ‘Legendary Actor’ Humayun Faridi
- Music director Wajid Khan dies
- Mahathir expelled from party
- Hong Kong `no longer autonomous`: Pompeo
- Coronavirus case in country crosses 40,000