Nawaz, Iftikhar return to Pakistan side for SL ODIs
Published: 10:46 PM, 21 September 2019
Pakistan chief selector and head coach Misbah-ul-Haq has handed all-rounder Mohammad Nawaz and batsman Iftikhar Ahmed ODI returns for the upcoming home series against Sri Lanka.
Nawaz had first catapulted into the national team reckoning with a number of standout performances in the first season of the Pakistan Super League.
The 25-year-old, however, struggled with the bat and didn’t do much with the ball either. This led to him being dropped from the ODI team after the Asia Cup last September.
Iftikhar, on the other hand, is making a return to the side after a longer period of time, having made the last of his two ODI appearances in 2015.
The 29-year-old did well in the domestic List A competition in April this year, scoring two hundreds and a fifty in three successive matches.
Paikstan’s squad for the three-ODI series does, however, include a few notable absentees.
Shaheen Afridi, Hasan Ali and Mohammad Hasnain – all of whom featured during the ICC World Cup in England this year – have been left out od the squad.
Mohammad Hafeez, who had a subpar tournament despite playing regularly, has also missed out whereas Shoaib Malik had retired and will only feature in T20Is going forward.
Afridi has been left out due to being diagnosed with dengue whereas Hasan is recovering from a back condition as well as a loss of form which saw him sit out the latter half of the World Cup.
The three-match ODI series begins in Karachi on September 27 and will be followed by three T20Is in Lahore.
Pakistan ODI squad: Sarfaraz Ahmed (c), Babar Azam, Abid Ali, Asif Ali, Fakhar Zaman, Haris Sohail, Mohammad Hasnain, Iftikhar Ahmed, Imad Wasim, Imam-ul-Haq, Mohammad Amir, Mohammad Nawaz, Mohammad Rizwan, Shadab Khan, Usman Khan Shinwari, Wahab Riaz.
- ‘Abominable’ won’t be screened in Malaysia over S. China Sea map
- India, Pakistan exchange fire in Kashmir, killing 9
- Brexit will happen on Oct. 31
- Bangladesh Army Volleyball competition concludes
- Chile paralyzed after three die in protest violence
- Young Elephants of Laos humiliate Mohun Bagan
- Laxman, Smith picks Tamim, Shakib in their dream XI
- 1,34,625 HA land under T-Aman cultivation in Netrokona
- People aren’t responding to Oikya Front’s call: Hasan
- President reaches Singapore en route to Japan
- 1st scientific congress on NCDs kicks off in city
- DU ‘A’ unit admission test result postponed
- Jubo League chairman Omar Faruq fired
- Saifuddin to miss T20 series in India
- PM receives Russian translated books on Bangabandhu-Sheikh Hasina
- Pearl over 8 thousand-yrs old found in UAE
- Four to die for murder in Faridpur
- DIG Bajlur of JD arrested for possessing illegal money
- Rohit`s 212 put India on top
- Bhola Clash: BGB’s quick deploy by helicopter
- 4 killed in cops-mob clash following facebook post
- Khulna beat Rajshahi in NCL 2nd round
- BCB to issue T-Ten NOC through talks
- Auto-driver killed after being hit by pickup
- Investigations are being made about many others: Quader
- Samad succeeds in farming vegetables in fisheries farms
- 13.05% pass DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test
- 9 addl judges appointed to HC
- Weather may remain mainly dry
- Son hacked mother to death
- All News »
- Father killed child Tuhin, claim police
- Child Tuhin murder: 2 relatives give statement
- Bangla TV to air Bangladesh-India match
- Brutality upon child Tuhin
- Now father allegedly kills child in Faridpur
- 3 women killed as truck hits human hauler
- Sabila Nur gets married this month
- Now PUBG bans in Bangladesh
- Jubo League age decision at Ganabhaban: Quader
- Brutal murder of child: Case filed against 10
- PM urges UGC not to go beyond rules
- Typhoon Hagibis: Death toll rises to 68 in Japan
- Abrar murder chargesheet soon: HM
- Sunny, Al Amin recalled for India T20 series
- 35 pilgrims killed as bus crashes in Saudia Arabia
- Padma Bridge work progress 84 pc
- New labor laws in Qatar benefiting migrant workers
- Gold bars worth Tk 6.5cr recovered in Shah Amanat
- Japan keen to expand existing bilateral ties: Envoy
- 3 including Indian national win Nobel Prize in Economics
- Moushumi assaulted at BFDC
- Sourav Ganguly set to be president of BCCI
- Bangladesh becomes role model in disaster management: PM
- DU ‘Ka’, ‘Cha’ unit admission test results tomorrow
- 2 pedestrians die after being hit by bus
- Typhoon Hagibis: 11 killed in Japan
- PM for quick disposal of Abrar murder case
- Siddik has relations with multiple girls, alleges wife Mim
- BUET students’ call off protests
- T20 World Cup Qualifier begins today