Navy veteran found in apartment ‘died three years ago’
Published: 11:37 AM, 24 November 2019 Updated: 12:43 PM, 24 November 2019
A US Navy veteran whose body was found inside his apartment in Dallas, Texas, is believed to have lain dead there for three years.
Ronald Wayne White's family said they had reported his absence to the authorities on numerous occasions.
His body was discovered during an investigation of apartment units whose tenants had not been using water in the DeSoto area complex.
Staff who broke down the bolted front door found him on the kitchen floor.
Ronald Wayne, who would have been 51 in 2016, had worked as a defence contractor since leaving the US Navy. He lived alone after he and his wife divorced, and frequently travelled outside the US on business.
His mother, Doris Stevens, who lives in Long Island in New York, said her son had regularly contacted her - but his calls ceased three years ago.
She said she had reported her son missing to several different police departments, but had been told that because he was an adult and travelled extensively for work, a missing person investigation could not be opened.
"My biggest question is, how in the world could my son have been dead in that apartment and nobody knows anything?" she told Dallas TV station WFAA.
"All them days, holidays, I just suffered. Because nobody wanted to help find him."
Ronald Wayne's third-floor modern apartment was located at the very north-west corner of the apartment complex, was well-insulated, and had all its windows closed and locked - possibly explaining how his body lay undiscovered for so long.
Pete Schulte, a detective with the DeSoto Police Department, said Ronald Wayne's month-to-month lease on the apartment had been paid from an account into which his Navy retirement fund was regularly paid.
He said a neighbour had complained about two years ago of liquid leaking through the ceiling of her apartment, but the complex's maintenance team closed the file when the leaking stopped.
"What I can tell you is it is very clear when officers entered that he had been there for a while," Detective Schulte said. "The way he was found, the way the apartment was arranged and so forth, there was zero indication of foul play."
More tests to determine the cause of death were due to be completed before the body was released to the family for a funeral.
Diabetes medication dating back to 2016 was found in the apartment, while Ronald Wayne's dust-covered pick-up truck was discovered in the DeSoto Town Center parking garage.
- Youth held with foreign pistol
- Is Aishwarya ‘pregnant’ again?
- 7° Celsius, country’s lowest temperature in Kurigram
- 3 killed as bus hits tree in Habiganj
- AL Central Working Committee visits Tungipara today
- Twitter adds emoji reactions to Direct Message
- Mirpur slum fire doused after 2 hrs
- Coronavirus affected Indian nurse identified in Saudi
- Coronavirus death toll jumps to 25 with 830 cases: govt
- Today’s Sports on TV
- Historic Mass Upsurge Day today
- 1 GB data for Tk 1
- Tigers to take on Pakistan today
- Fire at Parabat Express in B’baria
- Paturia-Daulatdia ferry services resume
- Historic Mass Upsurge Day on Friday
- Saudi Arabia again deports 217 Bangladeshis
- China locks down cities to curb virus outbreak
- DU to confer honorary doctorate on Bangabandhu
- Rapid Rating Chess tournament on Friday
- Bangladesh welcomes ICJ verdict
- Bangla Academy Sahitya Puroshkar 2019 announced
- PSTU expels 15 for ragging
- AL to pay homage to Bangabandhu at Tungipara
- Chinese New Year gala celebrated
- 19 killed in south Sudan tribal clashes
- No national channel to broadcast Bangladesh-Pakistan series
- FM hoping for millstone in remittance growth
- Bangladeshi Omar Ishrak named Intel Chairman
- New hope for distress Rohingyas
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- ICJ orders Myanmar to protect Rohingya, to preserve evidence
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Khulna faces Rajshahi in BPL final today
- Coronavirus: Everything you need to know
- Two siblings among 3 electrocuted in Hazaribagh
- China virus deaths rise to 17, heightening global alarm
- Gabtoli turmoil after throwing eggs
- Lawmaker Abdul Mannan in ICU
- Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
- Top 5 batsmen in Bangabandhu BPL
- Bride’s mother elopes with groom’s father
- Ronaldo makes accidental kiss to Dybala
- Bangladesh meet Burundi in semifinal today
- 5 held with marijuana in Sirajganj
- DMP’s letter to EC to keep close trade fair for 2 days
- World court’s four orders against Myanmar
- E-passport to be launched today
- ‘Law enforcers will work under EC directives’
- Over 100 killed in Yemen missile, drone attack
- SSC-equivalent exam rescheduled
- E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
- Seven killed in Indonesia bridge collapse