Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
Published: 11:11 PM, 20 March 2019 Updated: 11:11 PM, 20 March 2019
The government is chalking out the country’s biggest-ever nationwide program to celebrate the birth centenary of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Wednesday said the birth centenary will be celebrated even at the grassroots level from March 17, 2020 to March 26, 2021 to spread the authentic history of Bangabandhu and the Liberation War.
“We’ll also take measures for the celebrations of the birth centenary even at the grassroots level so that people can know the authentic history and the Liberation War spirit can be infused into them,” she said.
The Prime Minister was addressing a joint meeting of the National Committee for Celebration of the Birth Centenary of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and the National Implementation Committee for Celebration of the Birth Centenary of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
The maiden meeting of the two committees was held at Prime Minister’s Office in the city with Sheikh Hasina, who also is the head of the National Committee for Celebration of Bangabandhu's Birth Centenary, in the chair.
At the meeting, the committee received proposals from members of the two committees to work out elaborate programs to celebrate 'Mujib Barsho' (Mujib Year) from March 17, 2020 to March 26, 2021 marking the birth centenary.
In her introductory speech, the Prime Minister said it is the national duty to properly celebrate the birth centenary of the Father of the Nation as he had huge dedication to the wellbeing of people.
“He passed valuable time of his life in jail,” said Hasina, also the eldest daughter of Bangabandhu.
She said the Father of the Nation took a nation to the armed war from the non-cooperation movement motivating people gradually, which is a rare example in world history.
Bangabandhu had given the country’s people political independence and also taken measures for their economic emancipation, but got only three and a half years to implement those.
He did huge work in every sector in such a short time, she added.
Hasina said had the dark night of August 15 not come in the life of the Bengali nation, Bangladesh would have been turned into a developed country many years ago.
She said there were efforts to erase the contributions of Bangabandhu to the Language Movement completely alongside wiping out his contributions to the Liberation War. But no one could wipe out the truth as it gets revealed finally, Hasina added.
In her concluding speech, the Prime Minister said measures will be taken to celebrate the birth centenary throughout the country.
Alongside the government programs, different institutions can take separate programs to celebrate Mujib Borsho, she said.
Hasina hinted that some other important persons will be incorporated in the two committees.
Speaker Dr Shirin Sharmin Chaudhury, Chief Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain, Chairman of the Law Commission Justice ABM Khairul Haque, former finance minister AMA Muhith, National Professor Anisuzzaman, National Professor Mohammad Rafiqul Islam were on the dias.
Former principal secretary Dr Kamal Abdul Naser Chowdhury, who is the member secretary of the National Committee for Celebration of the Birth Centenary of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman moderated the meeting.
On February 14, the government formed the 102-member National Committee for the Celebration of the Birth Centenary of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
The government also constituted the 61-member National Implementation Committee for Celebration of the Birth Centenary of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman. National Professor Mohammad Rafiqul Islam and PM’s former principal secretary Dr Kamal Abdul Naser Chowdhury were made the chairman and the chief coordinator of the committee respectively.
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- ‘Amar Pita Sheikh Mujib’ festival to be inaugurated tomorrow
- Mueller report: Subpoena issued for unredacted version
- Mirsarai Economic Zone to witness factory operation in July
- Sonagazi AL leader Ruhul held over Nusrat murder
- Team management backs Soumya to regain form in WC
- Three JU students hurt in road crash on campus
- We achieved countrymen`s faith: PM
- Taskin shines after missing out WC selection
- Hasina calls for strengthening Awami League at grassroots
- Two children drown in Noakhali
- Man killed in Jamalpur road crash
- Abahani keep them in the hunt of DPL title
- AL secretariat meeting on Saturday
- 6,746 vacant posts in ministries: Farhad
- Amir misses out on Pakistan`s World Cup squad
- PML-N blamed Imran over Minister`s step down
- Man committed suicide anguished by wife
- Namaz-e-janaza of director Mizan completed in FDC
- India polls `19: Mukesh Ambani Backs Congress
- Dad saved toddler from dingo attack in Australia
- PM receives treatment at Tk 10
- UK Journo shot dead in Derry riot
- 13 killed as church roof collapses in South Africa
- Nusrat murder: CID searching money grantor
- America’s 1st female astronaut candidate dies
- Secondary admission rate low yet: UNFPA
- Cox’s Bazar forests in extinction threat
- Dry weather with partly cloudy sky likely
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- All News »
- Nusrat murder: Last accused Kader arrested
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- Messi rested for United as Barca draws 0-0 at Huesca
- `First` 3D print of heart with human tissue, vessels unveiled
- Nusrat murder: another accused held in Bhaluka
- Probe team of police going to Sonagazi
- PBI found sensational information over Nusrat killing
- Water transport workers’ strike detaches Bhola
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Google takes on ‘Africa’s challenges’ in Ghana
- PBI searching 12 people involved in Nusrat murder
- Nusrat murder: 2 including Moksud arrested
- Three robbers lynched in Feni
- Tofail asks DUCSU leaders to work for all students
- Nation set to celebrate Pahela Baishakh tomorrow
- 3 to die for killing RU prof Shafiul
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- 8 killed as bus falls into Joypurhat ditch
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- Nusrat murder: ‘Shampa’ Poppy arrested
- Sudan`s Bashir moved to prison as protesters rally
- Jute mill workers go on 96-hour strike
- Messi coming to Dhaka
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- Miscreants kill Bogura BNP leader
- Journalist Zafar Wazed new PIB DG
- Mild quake jolts Ctg, Bandarban
- Pahela Baishakh being celebrated
- Swecchasebok League leader found dead in Savar
- PM gives job to Nusrat’s brother