National Flag hoisted officially Dec 8, ‘71
Published: 10:49 AM, 8 December 2019 Updated: 03:16 PM, 8 December 2019
On 8th December 1971, different areas including Moulvibazar, Barisal, Jhalokathi, Chandpur, Pirojpur were freed. The victory of the free people came out in joy. On the other hand, the then Prime Minister of the Provisional Government Tajuddin Ahmed, in a Radio speech, appealed to the democratic forces of the world to follow the example of India and Bhutan in recognizing independent-sovereign Bangladesh.
On this day, Pakistani forces were completely blocked across the country. On this occasion, the Allied officers took three measures and ordered the entire Pakistani army to surrender. General Jagjit Singh Arora was advised to move quickly to Dhaka with three columns, and a brigade was ordered to proceed to Mymensingh from Halua Ghat.
The Indian Army chief asked the Pakistani army to surrender and immediately assured that they will be treated respectfully after the surrender in accordance with the Geneva Convention's customs. This call from General Manekshaw was repeatedly broadcast in different languages from Akashvani radio. The intensity of the war increased in different parts of Bangladesh. Almost all of General Jagjit Singh's forces from the eastern border were rapidly approaching.
During the war that night, 28 freedom fighters were martyred. The Pakistani military was forced to surrender in the late-night while some of the desperate forces left the base of the airport and returned to Baruah and the cantonment in the late night. And some Pak troops surrendered at the airport bases.
On the other hand, the Prime Minister of the Provisional Government, Tajuddin Ahmed, appealed to the world's democratic forces to follow the example of India and Bhutan in recognizing independent sovereign Bangladesh in a Radio speech.
The people of Cumilla sprinkled the flower petals of the freedom fighters and were cheered for the liberation. In the afternoon, the flag of Independent Bangladesh was officially hoisted in the presence of a crowd of brave freedom fighters at Cumilla Town Hall. Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury, chairman of the then Eastern Administrative Council, hoisted the party flag and Cumila’s first DC Advocate Ahmed Ali hoisted the national flag.
On the other hand, Aftab Uddin Khan, freedom fighter commander of Mirpur police station in Kushtia, hoisted the national flag Bangladesh through the gun-salute.
- Rajshahi lift BPL crown
- Countrymen living in peace: IGP
- Putin to attend Libya peace conference
- Mushfiqur refuses to tour Pakistan for T20Is
- Private car driver killed in Narsingdi road mishap
- Reunion of Psychology dept begins in RU
- Rajshahi post 170 in BPL final against Khulna
- Anwar succeeds in Squash farming
- 6 held in Naogaon anti-narcotics drive
- ‘He just want to avoid his duty’
- Young Tigers` World Cup mission starts tomorrow
- Doyel’s ‘Toshok’ Int’l Film Festival
- Businessman killed in Rajshahi road crash
- 3 detained in Akhaura with yaba tablet
- Khulna obt to bowl in BPL final
- Huawei launches 5G smartphone in Kuwait
- Youth crushed under train at Pubail
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Cricket Australia CEO to be in BPL final
- Turkey begins to deploy troops in Libya
- Iran strikes were ‘slap on face’ for US: Khamenei in Zummah
- 1 killed in Mirsharai road crash
- Fan waits 5 nights for Pooja Hegde!
- Garlic and Aloe Vera can cure dandruff forever
- Spicy chicken cauliflower roast
- Another one dies from mystery virus in China
- Tamim likely to miss Pakistan tour
- Popy wants to marry as Shakib searching for bride
- Police constable dies falling from roof of police control room
- Two killed after being hit by bus in Uttara
- All News »
- Ticket price of BPL final increased
- Youth killed in road crash after returning home 24 yrs later
- Austrilia begins camel culling, 1500 shot on 1st day
- Historic Bangabandhu’s Homecoming Day today
- British diplomat arrested in Iran
- 60 civilians killed in US attack in Afghanistan
- ‘Unintentionally’ shot down Ukrainian jetliner: Iran
- Obscure’s Prince dies
- British lawmakers finally approve historic Brexit deal
- PM mourns death of Oman Sultan
- PM joins Bishwa Ijtema Akheri Munajat
- 1st phase of Biswa Ijtema begins with ‘Aam Bayan’
- PM pays homage to Bangabandhu on Homecoming Day
- Magnitude 5.9 jolts quake-stunned Puerto Rico again
- Gunman kills 3 in Thailand mall robbery
- PM opens Bangabandhu’s birth centenary countdown
- ‘All coaching centers to remain shut from Jan 25’
- 63 ‘terrorists’, 25 others killed in Niger army base attack
- Asia’s most costly cricket stadium to be built in Bangladesh!
- 32% work of Bangabandhu Novo Theatre in Rajshahi completed
- Snow, rain, flash floods leave 43 dead in Pakistan, Afghanistan
- PM to open the countdown of Mujib Year
- Country shivers as 4th cold wave of season begins
- 28 institutes named after Bangabandhu and family members
- Reaction of Canadian PM after Iran admitting mistake
- Apu Biswas to rock two shows in India
- Flight operations at HSIA still halted today
- Symbolic return of Bangabandhu after 48 years
- Nationwide Vitamin A campaign tomorrow
- Russell hero as Rajshahi through final