Nation observes historic March 7
Published: 09:57 AM, 7 March 2019
The nation is observing the historic March 7 on Thursday in a befitting manner commemorating the landmark speech by Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman which was touted as indirect declaration of the country’s independence in 1971.
President M Abdul Hamid and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, in separate messages on the eve of the day, paid rich tributes to the greatest Bangalee of all times Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
They recalled that Bangabandhu in his historic March 7 speech at a mammoth rally in the then ‘Race Course Maidan’, now Suhrawardy Udyan, in the city directed the freedom-loving Bangalees for waging a decisive struggle against the Pakistani occupation forces.
President Abdul Hamid and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina urged the countrymen to work together to make Bangladesh a middle income country by 2021 and a developed nation by 2041 to build a Sonar Bangla as dreamt by Bangabandhu.
“Ebarer sangram amader muktir sangram, ebarer sangram swadhinatar sangram [The struggle this time is a struggle for emancipation, the struggle this time is a struggle for independence]”, Bangabandhu had declared in a thunderous voice at the rally.
“Turn every house into a fortress, resist the enemy with everything you have … Having mastered the lesson of sacrifice, we shall give more blood. God willing [Inshallah], we shall free the people of this land,” Bangabandhu also said in his speech.
The speech inspired the Bengalees to prepare for a war of independence.
The Liberation War began 18 days later, when the Pakistan Army launched “Operation Searchlight” against unarmed Bangalee civilians, intellectuals, students, politicians, and armed personnel.
On October 30 in 2017, the UNESCO recognised the historic speech as part of the world’s documentary heritage.
It has been included in the Memory of the World International Register, a list of world’s important documentary heritage maintained by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO).
To mark the day, different socio-cultural and political organizations, student and professional bodies have chalked out elaborate programmes including laying wreaths at the portrait of Bangabandhu and holding discussions and rallies.
The ruling Awami League has also drawn up different programmes to observe the day.
The party will hoist national and party flags atop the Bangabandhu Bhaban and party offices and place wreaths at Bangabandhu’s portrait on the Bangabandhu Bhaban premises at Dhanmondi in the morning today.
A discussion will be arranged at the Bangabandhu International Conference Centre (BICC) auditorium at 3:00 pm today.
Awami League President and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina will chair the discussion while party leaders and distinguished personalities will address it.
Department of Films and Publications will screen a documentary film on the 7th March speech followed by a discussion at 10 am today on the premises of the department.
Information Minister Dr. Hasan Mahmud will attend it as the chief guest. Awami League and associated bodies will also organize rallies highlighting the significance of the day in all wards, unions, pourasabhas, upazilas and districts as the Bangabandhu’s March 7 speech would be played with loudspeaker.
The Bangladesh Betar and Bangladesh Television, as well as private television channels and radio stations, will air special programmes while national dailies will bring out special supplements marking the auspicious occasion.
- Ben Ali: The autocrat’s anomie lit-up Arab Spring
- Singer Aaron Carter raped by older sister
- Nusrat-Mimi dance for Durga Puja theme song
- Google to invest 3 bin euros in Europe
- Bangladesh pays hotel fare for Zim team
- Modi highly ambitious over India-US ties amid UNGA visit
- Polio outbreak in Philippines
- 24 Rohingyas detained in Ctg
- Operations will be conducted in Chattogram too: Minister
- BIMOX 2nd edition expo-2019 begins
- ICMAB holds talks on sustainability, global reporting initiatives
- Masakadza wins Zimbabwe in outing match
- 9 m babies born in unrest part of world last yr
- RAB surrounds 3 more clubs in city
- GK Shamim is none of Jubo League: Omar Farooq
- U-23 India series: Bangladesh lost to host by 34 runs
- PM leaves for NY to join UNGA
- Arjun Kapoor trolls Alia Bhatt
- Kalabagan Krira Chakra president Shafiqul detains
- Zim’s captain to farewell intl cricket
- Salman leaps with joy as Katrina sets IIFA 2019 stage on fire
- Why Srabanti suddenly in Dhaka?
- SBMC under teacher crisis
- Zimbabwe inept to pay hotel rent!
- World’s ‘smallest’ mosque located in Bangladesh!
- RAB surrounds Kalabagan Krira Chakra
- Afghanistan wins toss, opts to bat
- Supreme Court to rule next week on UK parliament suspension
- DU ‘Kha’ unit admission test tomorrow
- Elephant panic on Bakshiganj border
- All News »
- Mahi’s 33 and Tisha’s 22
- PM to receive two more int’l awards
- Codex Gigas: The Devil’s Bible
- RAB’s drive: Jubo League leader GK Shamim detains
- 142 held over police raid in capital`s Young Men’s club casino
- Fire breaks out at Shwapno Super Shop in Banani
- RAB sealed `Golden Dhaka Bangladesh` casino
- Thimmamma Marrimanu: A 550 yr old giant banyan tree
- Juba League leader Khaled arrested
- White House: A monstrous residence
- Self-made billionaire Jack Ma, who was rejected from 30 jobs
- Ancient Babylon: A city and a civilization
- Saudi reduces Hajj-Umrah visa fee
- Shovon-Rabbani axed, Nahian-Lekhak made BCL’s acting president, GS
- Ex-Miss World Manushi Chhillar to crown Miss World Bangladesh
- Movile Cave: Mysterious dark-ranch of 5.5 m yrs old insects
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test today
- ‘BNP’s many leaders are hired’
- Pygmy: The forest lovers
- 4 Pak troops killed in Afghan border
- Afif leads Tigers to winning start in Tri-series T20
- Taliban seizes more land after failed peace talks
- Young Tigers thrash India, target 107
- PM to receive ‘Dr Kalam Smriti Int’l Excellence Awards ‘19’
- Amitabh was victim to marry Jaya!
- Robert Mugabe: Liberator to brutal tyrant
- DU admission test begins
- Mysterious dragon of Boga Lake
- Salman Shah’s weeklong birthday celebration
- ‘Chapati Tuhin’ killed in Narayanganj gunfight