‘Nani’ providing health care on cycle at 92
Published: 05:25 PM, 17 June 2019 Updated: 05:26 PM, 17 June 2019
Zahiron Beowa; Photo: Daily Bangladesh
The women of Bangladesh are not lagging behind anymore. They have been keeping pace with the world with hard work, talent, and expertise. They are already at the top of success with audacious and challenging activities.
This continuation is not only in the city but also in the upazilas and remote villages, in various activities and human services. We have heard stories of many women succeeding in their own bravery and fighting. But today we will tell a different story.
Everyone in the village known her as ‘Nani’ (grandmother). She is Zahiron Beowa. Though she is now 92 year of age, her heart’s enthusiasm, courage, the skill of work, and expertise have not diminished. Even local MP is unknown to some villagers, but Nani Zahiron Beowa is a well-known name to all of the villagers.
Zahiron Beowa, 92, wife of late Sayed Ali of Taluk Dulali village, located on the outskirts of Bhelabari UP of Aditmari upazila of Lalmonirhat district. Four years before the Great Liberation War, the woman broke down due to her husband’s death and started a struggling life with three boys and one daughter. She again broke down with the death of his her eldest son, Danesh Ali, 68. This fighter woman is still active and hardworking and lived with her younger son Torab Ali’s family.
The country has got independence, but she always had the thought of distress to run the family. By ignoring the society, in 1968, Zahiron received six months training in health care and family planning under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and then joined Kaliganj Health Complex in the contractual monthly wage.
She uses bicycles to provide health care to the villagers. After 10 years of working, she went to retirement with the monthly salary of Tk 500. But could not sit at home.
Zahiron Beowa told Daily Bangladesh, “I only provide medical care for common diseases such as fever, headaches, vomiting, physical weaknesses. I do not any fee for medical treatment, but I sell medicines at market price. It earns around Tk 150 per day.”
“There are more than 2000 families in 30 villages of Aditmari upazila. Every day, I go to 70 homes of at least seven villages and inquiries their health,” she also said claiming that she has not been infected in the last 50 years.
The villagers of Aditmari said that they see Zahiron Beowa has been going to the villages to villages on cycle for the last 45 to 50 years and providing health care to poor patients. And she never took fees from us. Even medicines are given free of charge, they said.
They said that he is the grandmother of all the villagers. Everyone calls him as Nani (grandmother). Many people also adored her as ‘Buri Nani’. Everyone in our village knows Zahiron Beowa in one name, even some people do not know about the local MP.
They also said that many people have advised to the grandmother - ‘Nani, you have become old, leave bicycling now, leave home and go home, take rest, who knows what happens on the road’. But we heard that grandmother doesn’t care those, she only says, “It has become my habit.”
Bhelabari UP chairman Muhammad Ali told Daily Bangladesh, “Zahiron Beowa keeps herself happy and always keeps villagers happy with smiling joy. So, she is popular among the people of the village. She is everyone’s grandmother, ‘the grandmother of Bengal’. We call her ‘Bengali Grandmother’ and she becomes very happy to hear that.”
We may have read in the book about Begum Rokeya, Mother Teresa, Florence Nightingale - but Zahiron Beowa is nothing less than those who are hiding behind such hinds. Some of them spread the light of the scope through their work, some of them are the enlightened servants like grandmother Nani.
- Rain or thundershowers likely
- Rooney Mara and Joaquin Phoenix get engaged
- Man accused in 18 cases killed in Bakshiganj gunfight
- DU gates locked for 2nd day
- Priya Saha to be interrogated after her return: Quader
- Father stabbed dead allegedly by son
- Taxicab, which falls into Turag, not traced even after 11 hrs
- Renu lynched in Badda, 3 held
- Today’s sports on TV
- Lightning strikes kill 32 in Uttar Pradesh
- Housewife`s body recovered from Chikli River
- Reckless Green Line takes woman`s life
- Bangladesh wins 3 bronze in International Biology Olympiad
- AL will compete in Ershad’s seat
- DU students to stage demo tomorrow
- Govt appoints 70 DAGs
- Ferries not to carry truck during Eid
- Two bodies recovered in Pabna
- Muri Paddy makes farmer happy
- Hajj 2019: Multi-Storey tents in Mina for first time ever!
- Aush-Amon flooded in Moulvibazar
- Emotional Patrick Stewart unveils new Star Trek
- DIG Mizan shown arrested in bribery case
- Artificial milk production: Cost TK 6, Sell TK 61!
- HC fixed further time for Greenline
- Abduction, blackmale then ransom
- Rooppur pillow issue: HC waits for ministry’s action
- Verdict against 5 Gaibandha Razakars any day
- Rajshahi Kings sign JP Duminy
- Death convict surrendered
- All News »
- Priya’s allegation is not correct: US Ambassador
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- Priya falsify to Trump about Bangladesh
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- Woman lynched over child-lifting rumour: 500 sued
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- How to get HSC result
- Accused stabbed dead by another in front of judge in court
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- Put Myanmar for Rohingya return; FM urges US
- Minni sent to jail
- Sohel Rana speechless on Ershad’s death
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday
- Ershad’s namaz-e-janaza held in Rangpur
- Country’s 7th mobile assembling plant to be launched with FDI
- Ershad’s body in Rangpur
- Man accused in 14 cases killed in gunfight
- Google shuts down AdSense on Android, iOS for web
- Minni on 5-day remand
- PM opens 7 housing uplift schemes