Alexa Nadal pulls out of Brisbane

Dhaka, Monday   26 August 2019

Akash

Nadal pulls out of Brisbane

 Sports Desk Daily-Bangladesh

 Published: 02:02 PM, 28 December 2017   Updated: 03:44 PM, 28 December 2017

Daily Bangladesh Desk

Daily Bangladesh Desk

Spanish tennis player Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from the Brisbane International with a knee injury, but said he still intends to play in next month`s Australian Open.

World No.1 Nadal, who hasn`t played since losing to David Goffin at the World Tour Finals in London, was scheduled to start his season in Brisbane this weekend, but said he would now not be coming.

Brisbane International tournament director Cameron Pearson said on Thursday that he got the message of Nadal’s withdrawn from the Brisbane earlier that day.

The joint ATP and WTA tournament start on Sunday at Par Rafter Arena. Nadal, who withdrewn from the ATP finals in London after defeated by David Goffin due to pain in his right knee.

Earlier on Thursday Nadal tweeted, "I am sorry to announce I won`t be coming to Brisbane this year. My intention was to play but I am still not ready after last year`s long season and the late start of my preparation."

But the Spaniard said he still planned to play in the year`s opening Grand Slam tournament, starting in Melbourne on January 15.

He tweeted, "I will be seeing my Aussie fans when I land on the 4th (of January) in Melbourne and start there my preparation for the Australian Open."

DailyBangladesh/Adnan/Nishi