NZ tour of Pakistan called off over security threats...

Dhaka, Tuesday   19 October 2021

NZ tour of Pakistan called off over security threats

 Sports Desk daily-bangladesh.com

 Published: 03:53 PM, 17 September 2021   Updated: 04:00 PM, 17 September 2021

NZ tour of Pakistan called off over security threats

NZ tour of Pakistan called off over security threats

The New Zealand cricket team on Friday backed out of its Pakistan tour over "security concerns" hours before the first match was scheduled to start at the Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium.

In a statement, the Pakistan Cricket Board said that New Zealand Cricket (NZC) informed the board they had been alerted to "some security alert" and unilaterally decided to postpone the series.

"The cricket board and government made foolproof security arrangements for all visiting teams. We have assured NZC of the same," the PCB said.

The statement said that Prime Minister Imran Khan also personally spoke to Jacinda Ardern, the prime minister of New Zealand, and informed her that Pakistan had "one of the best intelligence systems in the world and that no security threat of any kind" existed for the visiting team.

"The security officials with the New Zealand team have been satisfied with security arrangements made by the government throughout their stay," the statement said, adding that the PCB was willing to continue the matches.

"Cricket lovers in Pakistan and around the world will be disappointed by this last minute withdrawal," the PCB said.

The New Zealand cricket team had arrived in Pakistan on September 11 for the first time in 18 years to play three ODIs and five Twenty20 Internationals.

The ODI series against New Zealand was supposed to be played at the Rawalpindi Stadium, with matches scheduled for Sept 17, 19, and 21, while the Gaddafi Stadium was slated to host five T20s from Sept 25 to Oct 3.

DailyBangladesh/SA