NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
Published: 11:08 PM, 11 July 2019 Updated: 11:09 PM, 11 July 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
England will fight New Zealand in the World Cup final for the most coveted cricket trophy.
The hosts secured their final berth by defeating defending champion Australia by eight wickets at Edgbaston on Thursday.
None of the finalists won a World Cup before. This time, cricket will get a new champion.
England swept into their first World Cup final for 27 years as the hosts crushed Australia by eight wickets on Thursday to book a clash with New Zealand in Sunday's title match.
Eoin Morgan's side ended Australia's bid to retain the World Cup in ruthless fashion at Edgbaston, dismissing their old rivals for 223 and then powering to victory in 32.1 overs thanks to Jason Roy's blistering 85.
England will head to Lord's bidding to win the 50-over World Cup for the first time, with 2015 runners-up New Zealand, who they thrashed by 119 runs in the group stage, standing between Morgan's men and the trophy.
England, who were in the semi-finals for the first time since 1992, have lost all three of their World Cup finals.
The final will take the place at Lord’s on July 14.
Australia posted a moderate total of 223 runs while batting first after winning the toss. England chased the target in 32.1 overs with eight wickets in hand.
- Issues that will be discussed during Jayashankar’s visit
- Gibraltar rejects US request
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- Marium, a lovely animal dies after eating plastic
- New Indonesian capital to be in Jungle?
- How to cook meat faster
- Tourists unhappy over Teknaf`s odor-pollution
- Fatima: The Wonder Lady!
- Rail links with Khulna snapped
- Maududist modern era devil: Agriculture Minister
- ‘Blood Bank of Kaliganj’ saved thousand lives
- ‘Mayaboti’ release date scheduled
- Dressing room rift misinterpreted in media: Mahmudullah
- Humayun for all-side interest on rawhide issue
- Tannery owners to buy rawhide form tomorrow
- JKS for transport workers’ fixed work hrs rein road accident
- How long should Kashmiris wait for peace?
- JnU’s Olympiad winner dies
- Day laborer Dalip Singh became ‘Great Khali’
- Shirin Sharmin to join South Asian Speakers’ Summit
- 1 day after buying bike, youth killed in accident
- Happy birthday Mia Bhai
- Serious health risk in handling taka: research reveals
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- Cumilla road crash: 6 of a family among deceased
- Jumps from boat get a divorce!
- DMP files 4,780 cases over traffic violations
- Tk 120 cr allotted for flood recovery
- Writ seeking HC order to find out culprits in rawhide fall
- All News »
- Truck driver rescues girl from rape on moving bus
- National Mourning Day Thursday
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Priyanka anxious over Nick’s diabetes!
- Immortal sayings of Bangabandhu
- Jacqueline stuns in yellow during birthday trip in Sri Lanka
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Kona disclosed her marriage 3 months later!
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- 60pc animal waste of Capital disposed
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- Nayan`s last SMS to Minni
- Removal of animal wastes almost completed: DSCC Mayor
- No foreign prog broadcast without permission
- Keep environment clean to prevent dengue: President
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- 63 Bangladeshi Hajj pilgrims died in Saudi Arabia
- Pak-India war! 8 soldiers killed on LoC
- 2 gang rape accused killed in gunfight
- Last Hajj ritual heralds Eid Al-Azha
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- Flood victims to get 24,000 houses
- `Our prayer for abolition of evil power`
- BCB seek clarity from Mashrafe Mortaza about ODI future
- 8 births recorded during Hajj 2019
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Kashmir outposts divided over status change
- 2 dead, 3 missing after boat sinks in Jamuna