NZ rise to No-2 in Test rankings
Published: 05:31 PM, 25 February 2019 Updated: 05:31 PM, 25 February 2019
Sri Lanka's stunning 2-0 Test series win in South Africa might not have helped them move up in the ICC Test rankings - though they have earned four useful points - but it led to South Africa slipping to No. 3 and New Zealand, for the first time, going up to No. 2.
New Zealand could have risen to No.2 earlier, when they hosted Sri Lanka late last year, had they won 2-0. But centuries from Kusal Mendis and Angelo Mathews in a valiant rearguard pushed the first Test to a draw, and though New Zealand won the second Test by 423 runs, they remained in third place.
But Sri Lanka's subsequent 2-0 defeat of South Africa trimmed South Africa's points by five to 105, and pushed New Zealand - at 107 points - up to second place, only behind India, who are well ahead of the pack at 116 points.
"It's pretty cool. It's something that's a little weird, us not having played Test cricket for a little bit now, but it's a testament to the cricket that we have been playing over the last 12 months, a little bit longer," Henry Nicholls, who is up at No. 5 among Test batsmen, said of the rankings jump.
"It's been great having a lot of different guys come in and do well, and I think that's probably a by-product of the culture we've been trying to build, of enjoying each other's success and making sure everyone's really clear about their role and just trying to do the best that we can."
South Africa don't have another Test engagement scheduled till the tour of India in October, but New Zealand have a good chance of consolidating their position when they host Bangladesh - ranked No. 9 - for three Tests starting this week.
The inaugural ICC Test Championship, meanwhile, will kick off on July 15 this year, soon after the conclusion of the 50-over World Cup in England and Wales.
- PM for integrated development plans
- South Africa level T20 series over Australia
- Women’s Euro 2021 to kick off at Old Trafford
- Du Preez the hero as South Africa beat England
- Experience the world with Samsung Galaxy S20 series
- 6 of same family receive burn injury in Sirajganj
- Sheikh Hasina pushes country forward, others retreat
- Malaysia to form new government!
- Fake BGB member detained in Dinajpur
- Carter Center delegation calls on Chief Information Commissioner
- Qatar expat Bangladeshi`s body found in friend`s refrigerator!
- 3 held with yaba in DU residential building
- 4 detained with phensidyl in Sirajganj
- President asks Army to get ready for supreme sacrifice
- Youth held in anti-narcotic drive in Sylhet
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- 1 detained with weed in Cumilla
- Turkey and Pakistan close borders with Iran
- Officials have to reach farmers’ doors: Abdur Razzak
- South Zone in command as Farhad hits ton
- 23 Feb golden day of Bengali nation
- 2 CoU students join SAUFEST-2020
- 5 held in anti-narcotic drive in Rangpur
- DMP detained 54 in anti-narcotic drive
- Handsome salary for less educated!
- 2 killed as bus hits motorcycle in Capital
- Youth detained with yaba in Manikganj
- 1 killed in Gopalganj road crash
- Two rookies in ODI squad
- GP pays Tk 1,000 crore to BTRC
- All News »
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Korea to provide scanners to diagnose coronavirus to Bangladesh
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Good news to honey farmers
- Coronavirus: 10,844 discharged from hospital
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- Srijit’s anger over Tahsan
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- BUET avoids combined admission test
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 2000
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- CUET student Tahmid dies
- Mother with dead daughter in VR show
- Ivanka Trump wears hijab for mosque visit
- Coronavirus: Elderly and sick are most at risk
- PM hands over Ekushey Padak-2020
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!
- 14 children among 22 killed in Cameroon massacre
- Man City, Man United, Inter Milan to play today
- Israeli soldiers duped by Hamas
- 19 case accused killed in two groups’ gunfight
- Hundreds of thousands of mussels dead in New Zealand heatwave
- Technical students to get more financial assistance: PM
- Crowd erupted at Shaheed Minar