NZ PM received death threats
on social media
Published: 08:26 PM, 22 March 2019
New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has received death threats on social media, local media reports.
Police are investigating death threats sent to Jacinda Ardern on social media, according to a report published on the NZ Herald.
A Twitter post containing a photo of a gun and captioned "You are next" was sent to the Prime Minister.
The Herald understands that the post had been up for more than 48 hours before the sender's Twitter account was suspended before 4pm after it was reported by various people.
Another post tagged to Ardern and NZ Police and had the same photo with "next it's you".
The suspended account contained anti-Islamic content and white supremacist hate speech, the report says.
A police spokeswoman told the Herald: "Police are aware of a comment made on Twitter and are making enquiries."
The Prime Minister's office has been contacted for comment.
A Twitter spokesperson said Twitter rules prohibit violent threats.
"We took action shortly after we received the first report on this Tweet, and our teams continue to work proactively to remove violative and illegal content from the service in relation to the Christchurch attack.
"We also continue to cooperate with law enforcement to facilitate their investigations as required.
"We strongly encourage people on Twitter to report violative and illegal content so we can take action. Retweeting or sharing screenshots of this type of content only serves to spread it further and gives it more visibility to more people."
The posts were pointed out to Twitter itself after the social networking giant tweeted a message of support following the two Christchurch mosque attacks last Friday which left 50 people dead.
Twitter Public Policy's tweet - promoted by Twitter Australia - read: "Kia Kaha. We stand together with New Zealand."
The message came at 1.48pm, closely after the nationwide two-minute silence for the mosque victims.
Some said the tweet was an "empty gesture" because of racist and violent tweets being left on the website with no action from Twitter.
Social media platforms have been criticized after a livestream video showing Friday's attack was able to be uploaded and shared.
The day after the attack, Twitter said it was "monitoring and removing any content that depicts the tragedy, and will continue to do so in line with the Twitter Rules".
It also recommended people report Tweets that break any of the social media company's rules.
Facebook said in statement that the shooter's livestream was viewed fewer than 200 times and was not reported until 12 minutes after the 17-minute broadcast ended. The company said the video was viewed about 4000 times in total before being removed.
The company also said that their artificial intelligence was part of the problem.
"While (AI's) effectiveness continues to improve, it is never going to be perfect," Facebook said in a statement on Thursday night.
"People will continue to be part of the equation, whether it's the people on our team who review content, or people who use our services and report content to us."
Source: NZ Herald
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- `There is a chance to joint invest in Bangladesh`
- BNP’s anarchy will not be tolerated: Hasan
- Sachin picks Shakib in his World Cup XI
- Zimbabwe inflation rate soars to 175%
- Train crash kills 9 with new weds
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- HC recommends punishment against 50 including Masud
- Zuma denies being `king of corrupt people`
- Nusrat murder: HC orders probe against ADM Enamul
- Shakib included in CWC19 best XI
- Fired DIG Mizan questioning at prison gate
- Primary students dropout rate decreased
- Jaffer, Ramanayeke as Tigers batting, bowling coach in SL tour
- Will be apologising to Williamson `For the rest of my life`
- Eid-ul-Azha advanced train ticket from Jul 29
- Partial lunar eclipse Wednesday
- New wave of cybercrime in Pakistan
- Accused stabbed dead by another in front of judge in court
- Non-government employees, slum dwellers to get flat: PM
- Temperature may rise over country
- PM opens 7 housing uplift schemes
- South Korean PM Lee leaves Dhaka
- Shah Rukh Khan to produce horror series for Netflix
- Russia`s Real Reasons for Partnering with Iran
- Sohel Rana speechless on Ershad’s death
- Ershad’s 2nd namaz-e-janaza held
- Pickup van hits covered van in Gazipur, kills 3
- Over 1,000 Google Play Store apps hiding a nasty secret
- Queen salutes England after World Cup glory
- All News »
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- MP Firoz Rashid’s daughter-in-law Merina shot
- New Zealand knock India out of World Cup
- 24 killed in Papua New Guinea tribal massacres
- Saima rape, murder: Prime accused confesses to crime
- Happy Birthday Purnima
- NBR to launch mobile app to increase taxpayers
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- HM Ershad passes away
- ‘Cox’s Bazar losing ecological balance for Rohingyas’
- Merkel says `very well` despite third shaking spell
- NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
- China assures to work to resolve Rohingya crisis: PM
- Netherlands Queen Maxima due today
- Queen Maxima and banking for the grassroots!
- Rickshaw pullers block Dhaka streets protesting ban
- Six bodies found in Cox’s Bazar beach
- Ershad`s son Eric receives kidnap threat
- UN to pay Bangladesh Tk 500 cr due
- Rifat murder: Rifat Farazi in 7-day remand
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Dutch Queen Maxima arrives
- Rifat murder: Another one detained
- CU gets its first woman proctor
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Sexual assault on Nusrat: charges to be formed Jul 17
- Kader Siddiqui quits Oikyafront
- Don’t publish deceptive information about milk: HC
- Rail link with Rajshahi snapped