NY court charges Trump $2 mn
Published: 03:25 PM, 8 November 2019
A New York judge on Thursday ordered Donald Trump to pay $2 million for using his former charity to further his political and business interests, adding to the president’s legal woes.
Justice Saliann Scarpulla of the New York Supreme Court told him to pay the damages to a group of non-profit organizations to settle a civil lawsuit brought by state Attorney General Letitia James, a Democrat.
James filed the lawsuit against the Trump Foundation in June last year, accusing it of “persistently illegal conduct” that included improper coordination between the charity and his campaign team during his 2016 White House bid.
Trump agreed to shut down his personal charity in December but the suit moved ahead regardless as prosecutors sought millions of dollars in restitution and penalties.
“(The ruling) is a major victory in our efforts to protect charitable assets and hold accountable those who would abuse charities for personal gain,” James said in a statement.
The suit accused Trump of using foundation funds to settle lawsuits, promote his Trump-branded hotels, and for personal spending, including the purchase of a portrait of himself to display at one of his golf clubs.
It also said that in early 2016 while Trump was running for president, he organized what was billed as a Trump Foundation fundraiser but was actually a campaign event.
Trump accused James of “deliberately mischaracterizing this settlement for political purposes,” and said the resolution of the case was not damaged, but simply donations to the charities.
“Every penny of the $19 million raised by the Trump Foundation went to hundreds of great charitable causes with almost no expenses,” he said in a statement.
“It has been 4 years of politically motivated harassment. (…) All they found was incredibly effective philanthropy and some small technical violations, such as not keeping board minutes.”
The ruling was the third legal setback Trump suffered in his native New York this week.
On Monday, a US appeals court ruled that he must release eight years of tax returns which he promised during the campaign to make public after an audit, but has since refused to share.
The same day, US magazine columnist E. Jean Carroll, who accuses Trump of rape, sued the president for defamation after he accused her of making up the allegation.
- Miking for salt price hike rumors
- Rumors rising salt price though adequate reserve
- BFF announces squad for SA Games
- If extra price for salt; call 999
- Results of BRUR admission test published
- German industry sees deep slump in 2019
- Time extended for SSC form-fill-up
- Swedish prosecutor drops Assange rape investigation
- Salt market under control in 30 munites
- Luis Enrique returns as Spain boss
- BMP calls for arrest involved in Nilphamari incident
- UN `alarmed` dozens may be dead in Iran protests
- Pakistan considers debut for 16-year-old pacer
- Women making significant contributions to national economy: Palak
- Country has buffer stock of salt for next four months
- Young Tigers whitewash Sri Lanka
- 1 killed in Cox`s Bazar gas cylinder explosion
- Brazil beat South Korea 3-0
- Venezuela ride on Rondon’s hat-trick
- Moscow to help establish ’71 genocide museum
- Bourses end flat
- Egypt marks Suez Canal’s 150th anniversary
- Netanyahu celebrates US settlement decision in West Bank
- 3 salt traders fined in Dinajpur
- Tk 350 cr revenue on 6th day
- Man City`s revenue rises to £535 million
- Tk 2 lakhs fined over salt-onion price boosting
- One held over facebook post on salt price hike
- Quake 5.3 magnitude jolts India
- Jail for spreading rumors over salt
- All News »
- Humayun Ahmed’s first wife Gultekin married again
- 7 teams announced for Bangabandhu BPL
- Incredible! - ‘This picture is hand-painted!’
- Swechchhasebok League’s council today
- Eight allegations of genocide against Myanmar
- B’baria train collision: Death toll climbs to 16
- Fatal train collision in B’baria kills 15
- Building collapsed in Ctg gasline blast: 7 killed, 25 injured
- After ‘Bulbul’, now cyclone ‘Nakri’ forming in Bay
- Case filed against Suu Kyi at Argentina court
- 7 bogies of Rangpur Express derail; fire at 3
- Messi on target as Argentina beat Brazil
- Tigers opt to bat
- Graduation at 9!
- Firefighters who saved house, apologise for drinking milk
- Bangabandhu BPL players draft starts
- Dhaka rope Mashrafe, Tamim
- PM seeks larger UAE investment in Bangladesh
- Bangladeshi scientist discover `Chives` alternative to onion
- 3 including loco master, director of Turna suspended
- PM blames Ziaur Rahman for Rohingya crisis
- The voyage home: Japan’s Hayabusa-2 probe to head for Earth
- 43 Students received ‘Quran’ as gift
- BPL Players’ draft: Who in which team
- Malaysia to hire Bangladeshi workers at low cost
- Sand-laden vessel sinks in Meghna being hit by launch: 3 missing
- Fire burns Rangpur Express (Video)
- Abrar murder: Chargesheet submitted against 25
- Happy Birthday to legend of Bengali Literature
- Swechchhasebok League gets new President, GS