NASA’s trip to Mars begins in California ‘clean room’
Published: 10:17 PM, 28 December 2019
NASA’s Mars 2020 rover will head off for the Red Planet next year. But like Voyager, Galileo, and Cassini before it, the mission’s epic journey began in a “clean room” in California.
One of two ultra-sterile labs used for spacecraft assembly at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, on the outskirts of Los Angeles, the eggshell-white room was briefly and exceptionally opened to journalists Friday.
“We need to keep the hardware as pristine and as safe as possible until we get to Mars,” said David Gruel, operations manager for Mars 2020.
The Mars rover will collect samples on the planet in the search for traces of microbial life potentially dating back billions of years.
Journalists had to go through a lengthy sterilization process before entering the room “so we actually are bringing samples back from Mars, and not bringing back hair from my body or some skin from somebody else’s body,” explained Gruel.
Automated shoe brushes and sticky mats remove particles from shoes before guests even reach the locker room.
To prevent contamination, visitors must then don a “bunny suit” — sleeves sealed with adhesive tape — along with face masks, latex gloves and even beard protectors for the more hirsute.
Finally, they pass beneath a pulsating “air shower” that blasts away the last unwanted particles.
The rover itself is regularly scrubbed with isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber mop, and the lab’s air is filtered 70 times per hour.
Journalists invited by NASA also had to remove foam covers from their microphones — a breeding ground for germs. Specially approved paper and pens were provided, in place of traditional writing implements which can shed dust and other particles.
Guests are also told to refrain from wearing any makeup or perfume.
Technicians working on crucial sampling equipment are often subject to even more stringent protocols.
“They can’t take a shower, bathe the day they work on the hardware,” Gruel told AFP. “They can’t put any hair products into their hair to style it, they can only wear one or two types of deodorant.”
It is all a far cry from the early days of space exploration.
Engineers would frequently light up cigarettes while building the Ranger rockets that paved the way for the Apollo moon missions.
Costly mistakes have led to more caution. A bid to sterilize the Ranger 3 mission in 1962 accidentally fired the rocket’s electronics, causing it to miss the Moon by more than 20,000 miles.
- Taiwan records its first coronavirus death as global toll passes
- Students must lead to build drug-free society: Menon
- Qatar keen to recruit skilled manpower from Bangladesh
- Central Zone sniffs victory with Shanto’s double century
- Singapore expatriate wife leaves home over coronavirus panic
- Meeting between Managing Directors of DSE, CSE
- ‘Basic Concept of Islamic Banking’ workshop held
- Bandits kill 30 in northwest Nigeria attack: police
- Coronavirus could damage global growth in 2020: IMF
- Interest rates reduced in Post Office saving schemes
- College-boy killed in Lalmonirhat road accident
- Russian solder proposes using 16 tanks
- 2 doctors killed in Tangail road crash
- Perfect weight according to height
- 2 motorcyclist killed in Sunamganj road crash
- How much salt needed to lose weight?
- Bkash agent killed in Jashore road crash
- Sharif joins housing and public works ministry
- Arvind Kejriwal takes oath
- 50,000 people suffer for lack of bridge
- Legal procedures to follow for Khaleda`s parole: Anisul
- Two killed in Tangail road accident
- Yasir hits career-best knock as North Zone takes lead
- Technical students to get more financial assistance: PM
- Accused in multiple cases in Sirajganj detained
- Husband with arms, wife having bullets detained
- Motorcyclist killed in Kushtia road crash
- Haven`t received Khaleda Zia`s parole appel: Kamal
- Six World Cup-winning U-19 players in BCB XI
- Bogura-1, Jashore-6 and CCC polls Mar 29
- All News »
- Massacre in Thailand: Killer army shot dead
- Promise Day today
- ‘Kache Ashar Oshomapto Golpo’ to be aired on 13 channels
- Bangladesh clinch maiden U-19 World Cup
- Soldier who killed 26 in Thailand shot dead
- 13 dead as trawler capsizes in Bay, 10 missing
- Corona patient shot dead in North Korea
- Young Tigers to receive ‘Water Salute’ at airport
- HC upholds death penalty for 5 militants
- Oscar 2020: Full list of winners
- China’s coronavirus death toll jumps to 1,113
- Couple make history with N.Ireland`s first same-sex marriage
- Bangladesh under pressure as Bishnoi strikes thrice
- Soumya to get married this month
- Young Tigers to face India
- Heroes return home today
- PM opens Sheikh Kamal IT Centre in Rajshahi
- China returnee student shifted to Kurmitola
- Yaravirus panic in Brazil amid Coronavirus
- Coronavirus: Death toll jumps to 900
- Teacher jailed for providing cheat sheets
- Soumya with future wife
- Young Tigers need 178-run to win WC
- Bangladesh-India XIs in U-19 final
- Saudi to invest $30bn in Bangladesh
- Avishek hunts India first
- Fire at DR Tower in Naya Paltan
- Mysterious disease left 15 dead in Nigerian
- 80 years of Tom & Jerry
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666