NASA instrument to explore exoplanet clouds
on European spacecraft
Published: 04:32 PM, 10 November 2019
The U.S. space agency NASA is planning to attach an instrument to a European spacecraft that will explore the exoplanets' clouds for the first time.
NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory announced Friday that the instrument called Contribution to ARIEL Spectroscopy of Exoplanets, or CASE, will add scientific capabilities to the Atmospheric Remote-sensing Infrared Exoplanet Large-survey (ARIEL) mission.
The ARIEL spacecraft, developed by the European Space Agency, is expected to launch in 2028, according to NASA.
"The more information we have about exoplanets, the closer we get to understanding the origins of our solar system, and advancing our search for Earth-like planets elsewhere," said Thomas Zurbuchen, associate administrator for NASA's Science Mission Directorate.
Scientists have found so far more than 4,000 confirmed exoplanets in the Milky Way. ARIEL will be able to see the chemical fingerprints of an exoplanet's atmosphere in the light of its star.
Those fingerprints will allow scientists to study the compositions, temperatures, and chemical processes in the atmospheres of the planets ARIEL observes.
The CASE instrument, which is sensitive to light at near-infrared wavelengths and visible light, will specifically look at exoplanets' clouds and hazes and also each planet's albedo, the amount of light the planet reflects.
The spacecraft with CASE onboard will focus on hot exoplanets in our galaxy, including gas giants like Jupiter, smaller gaseous planets called mini-Neptunes and rocky worlds bigger than our planet called super-Earths.
Although those planets are too hot to host life, they will tell a lot about how planets and planetary systems form and evolve.
Also, the techniques used by ARIEL and CASE will be useful when scientists use future telescopes to look toward smaller, colder, rockier worlds with conditions that more closely resemble Earth's.
- 41 detained in anti-narcotic drive
- ICJ’s hearing on Rohingya genocide begins
- No Messi against Inter Milan
- Chattogram Challengers unveiled Jersey
- NZ to face day-night challenge against Australia
- ‘Joy Bangla’ should be national slogan: HC
- Riyad to miss first two BBPL matches
- CJ appoints 2 officers to stop irregularities
- Constant suffering in traffic
- Two DMP Inspectors transferred
- Dry weather with partly cloudy sky likely
- 500-yr-old eggs found unbroken in Chinese tomb
- 11 Australians missing in New Zealand eruption
- Verdict on Razakar Sattar Wednesday
- Apu Biswas with new surprises
- Ozil to fund surgeries of 1,000 children
- New Zealand volcano: Police launch criminal probe
- Champions League: Chelsea, Liverpool, Barca tonight
- Chile military plane disappears with 38 aboard
- New feature in WhatsApp call
- Bodies of three women recovered in one night
- Human Rights Day today
- Drug smuggler killed in Teknaf gunfight
- Hearing on Rohingya genocide case today
- Canada, Netherlands intend to assist Gambia in ICJ against Myanmar
- Amir aims to be highest wicket-taker in BBPL
- UN chief for protecting young HR defenders
- Human Rights Day tomorrow
- Rangpur Rangers expect Fizz to hit back form in BBPL
- South Asia opens forum to accelerate SDG
- All News »
- ‘Bangla’ recognized as 2nd official language in London
- Salman-Katrina arrive Dhaka
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- Three TV channels to broadcast BPL opening ceremony live
- VP Nur’s phone talks leaked
- Mithila’s name changed after wedding
- Bangladeshi student secures top position in Bar at law
- Salman-Katrina to inebriate BPL stage
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- ‘Hotath Bristi’ actress June Malia gets married
- Rumpa’s ‘boyfriend’ Saikat on 4-day remand
- Messi bags Ballon d’Or for record sixth time
- Trump calls Canada`s Trudeau `two-faced`
- Former England captain Bob Willis dies
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- Srijit-Mithila’s honeymoon picture goes viral
- Mithila-Srijit’s honeymoon to Switzerland
- 4 killed in Florida police shootout over armed robbery
- Romantic song featuring Siam-Pori Moni’s chemistry!
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- 3 of same family incl couple killed in Tangail road crash
- Biman ex-director and DGM detained
- Ali Dacoit killed in Islampur gunfight
- US House passed sanctions on China over Uighur issue
- Pele’s last Brazil jersey sells for 30,000 euros in Italy
- Storm over new black hole issue
- TikTok sued in US over alleged China data transfer
- E-passport within 3 days!
- `Miss Pakistan` killed in a car crash