NASA astronauts Koch and Meir in all-women spacewalk
Published: 09:02 PM, 18 October 2019
Two Nasa astronauts are making the first-ever all-female spacewalk. Christina Koch and Jessica Meir left the International Space Station's Quest airlock on Friday to replace a failed power control unit -reports BBC.
They were expected to spend five and a half hours replacing the power regulator with a spare.
Ms. Koch had already carried out four spacewalks but it was the first for MS Meir, who became the 15th woman to walk in space, Nasa said.
Ms. Koch, an electrical engineer, and Ms. Meir, who has a doctorate in marine biology, stepped outside in their Nasa spacesuits at 11:38 GMT (07:38 EDT). They made their way to a location called the Port 6 truss structure to replace the battery charge-discharge unit (BCDU).
Once the task is complete, Ms. Koch and Ms. Meir will return to the airlock with the failed BCDU. The device will subsequently be loaded on to the next SpaceX Dragon resupply ship for inspection on Earth.
Nasa had announced in March that Ms. Koch would take part in the first all-female "extra-vehicular activity" (EVA) with colleague Anne McClain. But the spacewalk was called off because a medium-sized suit wasn't available in the near-term for McClain.
The first woman to spacewalk was the Russian Svetlana Savitskaya, who went outside the USSR's Salyut 7 space station for three hours, 35 minutes on 25 July 1984. She was accompanied by fellow cosmonaut Vladimir Dzhanibekov.
The first person in history to spacewalk was Soviet cosmonaut Alexei Leonov, who died earlier this month aged 85.
On Tuesday, Nasa unveiled a prototype for a new spacesuit that might be worn by the next astronauts on the Moon. It said the new Moon suit, known formally as the Exploration Extravehicular Mobility Unit (xEMU), is designed to give the wearer a customized fit whatever their shape or size.
- ‘Pink ball bizarre’
- ‘Strict action if tries to hike rice price’
- Day, night temp likely to fall over the country
- Girls prefer obese men: research
- 2 US troops killed in Afghanistan helicopter crash
- Drug dealer held in Joypurhat; 665 bottles Phensidyl seized
- Indefinite strike of goods transport underway
- 3 shops gutted in Tangail
- NZ-England meet again
- Kamal seeks Turkish support for Rohingya return
- Transport workers blocked Dhaka-Sylhet-Ctg highway
- Drug trader killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- Traders detained and fined for hiking salt prices
- Cop killed in Cumilla as truck hits police-vehicle
- Brazil-Argentina ‘Super Clasico’ tonight
- Kalmaegi to unleash in Philippine as new threat brews
- 2 Jubo League activists killed in Dinajpur truck crash
- PM returns home
- HM to hold meeting with covered van owners
- 20th death anniv of Begum Sufia Kamal today
- Miking for salt price hike rumors
- Rumors rising salt price though adequate reserve
- BFF announces squad for SA Games
- If extra price for salt; call 999
- Results of BRUR admission test published
- German industry sees deep slump in 2019
- Time extended for SSC form-fill-up
- Swedish prosecutor drops Assange rape investigation
- Salt market under control in 30 munites
- Luis Enrique returns as Spain boss
- All News »
- Humayun Ahmed’s first wife Gultekin married again
- 7 teams announced for Bangabandhu BPL
- Incredible! - ‘This picture is hand-painted!’
- Swechchhasebok League’s council today
- Eight allegations of genocide against Myanmar
- Building collapsed in Ctg gasline blast: 7 killed, 25 injured
- Case filed against Suu Kyi at Argentina court
- After ‘Bulbul’, now cyclone ‘Nakri’ forming in Bay
- Messi on target as Argentina beat Brazil
- 7 bogies of Rangpur Express derail; fire at 3
- Tigers opt to bat
- Graduation at 9!
- PM seeks larger UAE investment in Bangladesh
- Bangabandhu BPL players draft starts
- Bangladeshi scientist discover `Chives` alternative to onion
- Dhaka rope Mashrafe, Tamim
- Myanmar genocide case hearing next month: UN court
- PM blames Ziaur Rahman for Rohingya crisis
- 43 Students received ‘Quran’ as gift
- BPL Players’ draft: Who in which team
- Sand-laden vessel sinks in Meghna being hit by launch: 3 missing
- Bangladesh now a beggar-free country; says Quader
- Abrar murder: Chargesheet submitted against 25
- Swechchhasebok League gets new President, GS
- Writ seeking Tk 10 cr compensation for Abrar’s family
- Happy Birthday to legend of Bengali Literature
- Malaysia to hire Bangladeshi workers at low cost
- International Men’s Day today
- Fire burns Rangpur Express (Video)
- Abrar murder: Arrest warrant issued against 4