NASA’s Martian quake sensor InSight lands at slight angle
Published: 06:53 PM, 1 December 2018 Updated: 06:53 PM, 1 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
NASA’s unmanned Martian quake sensor, InSight, has landed at a slight angle on the Red Planet, and experts are hopeful the spacecraft will work as planned, the US space agency said Friday.
The $993 million lander arrived Monday at its target, a lava plain named Elysium Planitia, for a two-year mission aimed at better understanding how Earth’s neighboring planet formed.
“The vehicle sits slightly tilted (about 4 degrees) in a shallow dust- and sand-filled impact crater known as a ‘hollow,'” NASA said in a statement.
InSight was engineered to operate on a surface with an inclination up to 15 degrees.
Therefore, experts are hopeful that its two main instruments — a quake sensor and self-hammering mole to measure heat below the surface — will work as planned.
“We couldn’t be happier,” said InSight project manager Tom Hoffman of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
“There are no landing pads or runways on Mars, so coming down in an area that is basically a large sandbox without any large rocks should make instrument deployment easier and provide a great place for our mole to start burrowing.”
The first pictures from the lander show just a few rocks in the vicinity, more good news since touching down right near a rocky area would have made deployment of the solar arrays and instruments tricky.
Better images are expected in the coming days once InSight sheds the dust covers on its two cameras.
“We are looking forward to higher-definition pictures to confirm this preliminary assessment,” said Bruce Banerdt, principal investigator of InSight at NASA.
“If these few images — with resolution-reducing dust covers on — are accurate, it bodes well for both instrument deployment and the mole penetration of our subsurface heat-flow experiment.”
- 8 get life term for killing 3 cops
- Actor Saleh Ahmed at CCU
- Kim in Russia for Putin summit
- Tarique’s friend Mamun gets 7-year jail
- PM visits residence of late Hamida Khanam
- PM to visit Sheikh Selim’s residence
- Adulterated sweets, no one to see!
- Zayan’s body arrives in Dhaka
- Two Netrokona ‘Rajakars’ to die
- Earthquake rattles northeast India, Tibet
- Bitter squash in office’s flowerpots
- Rain likely in next 72 hours
- 18 detains in hunt over Sri Lanka bombings
- 2 dies after being pushed out from train
- Toll in Sri Lanka bombings rises to 359
- Verdict on 2 Netrokona ‘Rajakars’ today
- Six years of Rana Plaza Tragedy
- Emirates to face Kyrgyzstan today
- 54 feared dead in landslide at Myanmar jade mine
- Second session of 11th JS today
- Drug trader killed in Teknaf gunfight
- Zayan’s body to arrive Dhaka today
- India warned Sri Lanka 2 hours before Suicide Attacks
- Hijra, a creature of Allah: Noor
- Online reg required for St. Martin visit
- Biman to resume Dhaka-Delhi flight from May 13
- Kim, Putin to hold first talks in Russia
- PM returns home from Brunei
- Shakib returns for SRH, CSK to bowl
- BNP on extinction boycotting JS says Tofail
- All News »
- Nusrat murder: Last accused Kader arrested
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Probe team of police going to Sonagazi
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- 2 dead in road crash near Motsho Bhaban
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- Probe report against Nowshaba on May 28
- Journalist Zafar Wazed new PIB DG
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- PM returns home tomorrow
- Sudan`s Bashir moved to prison as protesters rally
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- New identity of Porimoni
- Shokh says ‘Goodbye’!
- Terrorist killed in Gazipur gunfight
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- Nusrat murder: Moni put on 5-day remand
- Adele separates from husband
- 4 killed in truck-auto rickshaw collision
- Nusrat murder: CID searching money grantor
- Case filed over Shahenur’s death