NASA’s Martian quake sensor InSight lands at slight angle
Published: 06:53 PM, 1 December 2018 Updated: 06:53 PM, 1 December 2018
NASA’s unmanned Martian quake sensor, InSight, has landed at a slight angle on the Red Planet, and experts are hopeful the spacecraft will work as planned, the US space agency said Friday.
The $993 million lander arrived Monday at its target, a lava plain named Elysium Planitia, for a two-year mission aimed at better understanding how Earth’s neighboring planet formed.
“The vehicle sits slightly tilted (about 4 degrees) in a shallow dust- and sand-filled impact crater known as a ‘hollow,'” NASA said in a statement.
InSight was engineered to operate on a surface with an inclination up to 15 degrees.
Therefore, experts are hopeful that its two main instruments — a quake sensor and self-hammering mole to measure heat below the surface — will work as planned.
“We couldn’t be happier,” said InSight project manager Tom Hoffman of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
“There are no landing pads or runways on Mars, so coming down in an area that is basically a large sandbox without any large rocks should make instrument deployment easier and provide a great place for our mole to start burrowing.”
The first pictures from the lander show just a few rocks in the vicinity, more good news since touching down right near a rocky area would have made deployment of the solar arrays and instruments tricky.
Better images are expected in the coming days once InSight sheds the dust covers on its two cameras.
“We are looking forward to higher-definition pictures to confirm this preliminary assessment,” said Bruce Banerdt, principal investigator of InSight at NASA.
“If these few images — with resolution-reducing dust covers on — are accurate, it bodes well for both instrument deployment and the mole penetration of our subsurface heat-flow experiment.”
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Marcelo lost his place due to bad display against Barca
- Reza directs CDA to gear up projects to improve services
- US Treasury Sec Mnuchin calls China trade talks `productive`
- Spanish PM calls snap polls after budget defeat
- PM leaves for Abu Dhabi tonight
- Swiss actor Bruno Ganz, who played Hitler, dies at 77
- `Acquire knowledge on literature`
- CTTC arrested two JMB men
- BCC receives two int’l awards
- Surplus potato will be exported: Tipu
- Surplus potato will be exported: Tipu
- Heroic Perera ton helps Sri Lanka to thrilling victory
- `Runa Laila` with new song
- Bus-autorickshaw clash kills 3 in Sylhet
- Diet drinks increase stroke risk
- DMP chief alert police against injustice
- SERG Zahurul Haque’s death anniversary observed
- All 49 reserved seats elected uncontested
- ‘Shahidullah Kaiser’ recall
- Sadhan urges officials to brighten up govt image
- One held over Lalmonirhat gang rape
- Farmers` profit in mustard
- Are Carbs good or bad?
- Samsung to launch US retail stores in smartphone push
- Hasan inducted `Bangladesh Film Festival` in Calcutta
- Zulfikar Ali will survive if he got your help
- Al Mahmud’s namaz-e-janaza held at Baitul Mukarram
- Maduro blasts US for ‘stealing’
- Pakistan backs group behind suicide bomb: Iran
- All News »
- ‘Work with history of country’s Language Movement’
- Trinamool Lawmaker shot dead in West Bengal
- WB to cooperate with Bangladesh: Qimiao Fan
- Spain teeters on brink of snap election
- Bangladesh, Indian Air Forces can work together: PM
- Net house potato farming gains ground in Rajshahi
- Which channel broadcast BAN vs NZ series
- Biswa Ijtema begins tomorrow
- Elderly couple among 3 killed in Munshiganj road crash
- Haunting beauty of ghost towns
- “AL not embarrassed of BNP’s case against polls”
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Mashrafe confident of BD`s chances despite Shakib`s absence
- 28 including drug traders held in Dinajpur
- Illusions about losing weight
- PM visits LGRD ministry
- Israel shoots dead two Palestinian teenagers
- College student killed in Madarganj road crash
- Pahela Falgun being celebrated
- Two drug traders held with phensedyl
- Speech-impaired college-girl raped, man held
- Seven yrs of Sagar-Runi murder
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- 3 motorcyclists killed in Gazipur road crash
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- 5 mayor aspirants get symbols
- Al Mahmud admitted to ICU
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Emergency declared in Russia over polar bear ‘invasion’