N Korea `could be great power`, says Trump
Published: 07:05 PM, 25 February 2019
North Korea could become one of the world's "great economic powers" if it relinquishes its nuclear weapons, US President Donald Trump has said.
Writing on Twitter, Mr Trump said the nation had "more potential for rapid growth than any other".
His comments came hours after his secretary of state Mike Pompeo said Pyongyang remained a nuclear threat.
Mr Trump will meet North Korean leader Kim Jong-un for the second time on the 27-28 February in Hanoi, Vietnam.
"We both expect a continuation of the progress made at first summit in Singapore," Mr Trump tweeted, referencing the high-profile meeting between the two leaders last June.
Speaking at the Governors' Ball - a black-tie event for US state governors - on Sunday evening, the president also said he had developed a "very very good relationship" with Mr Kim.
He reiterated that he was "in no rush" to press for North Korea's denuclearisation. "I don't want to rush anybody. I just don't want testing. As long as there's no testing, we're happy," he said.
The Singapore summit was historic as the first meeting between a sitting US president and a leader of North Korea, but the agreement the two men signed was vague on detail. Little has been done since about their stated goal - finding a way to get nuclear weapons off the Korean peninsula.
The president's latest remarks come on the eve of his departure for Vietnam and are being seen as a bid to manage expectations.
- Sun yields its secrets to Parker Solar Probe
- DMP detained 49 in anti-narcotics drive
- ‘Government will take legal action against chaos in court’
- 9 killed in India’s Madhya Pradesh
- College girl dies in Gazipur train accident
- ACC recovers 125 sacks of rice in Cumilla
- E-Passport to be introduced on Dec 15: Momen
- 50 Yrs of naming ‘Bangladesh`
- Vice chairman’s three-storey house demolished
- 2 arrested with firearms in Rupganj
- 1 in 8 afford out for nutritious diet: Report
- 4 killed in Poland gas blast, 4 missing
- Bangladesh beats Sri Lanka
- NBR’s extensive prog to observe VAT DAY, VAT Week
- Do not waste the environment in courtroom; says CJ
- Youth killed at in-law’s house after love-marriage
- Suhrawardy`s death anniv observed
- AG minister wants to export agricultural products
- Fire in Tongi factory: 11-unit firefighter to douse
- Accused dies in court praying for bail
- Bridges on Bhola-Barishal route by 2025
- Local population at risk for Rohingyas presence: TIB
- Shithi Saha hospitalized
- Banned player to play Bangabandhu BPL
- Discard ‘negative mindset’ about disabled people: PM
- Bangladesh wins by 249 runs as Maldives wrapped for 6
- Don`t ruin the court environment: Chief Justice
- Kaushik in Bangabandhu’s role
- 14 missing in deadly Ukraine fire: president
- Four cows looted, owner killed
- All News »
- ‘Bangla’ recognized as 2nd official language in London
- Mohammed Rezwan, floating school innovator named as ‘Earth Hero’
- Physician couple in Dr Baker’s place, serving poor people
- OC Moazzem gets 8-yr jail
- VP Nur’s phone talks leaked
- Get about newly elected Metropolitan AL leaders
- Singer Asif turns actor
- ‘No Dorai’ released at 8 halls
- 2 Jabale Nur drivers among 3 get life-term
- Messi bags Ballon d’Or for record sixth time
- PM opens AL’s Dhaka City units council
- Trump makes surprise visit to Afghanistan
- Adequate vegetables in market, onion prices still not fall
- 7 dead in small plane crash in Canada
- ‘Bangabandhu Express’ to run from victory day
- BD scientist photo likely in UK currency soon
- Shaon in bridal dress!
- Video app TikTok unblocks teen who posted on China`s Muslims
- Trump signs Hong Kong human rights act
- Sunny Leone’s ‘Hello G’
- Siam’s new look in ‘Ittefaq’
- UN chief says humanity’s ‘war against nature’ must stop
- PM flies to Spain on Sunday to join COP25
- Kushtia double murder case: 4 to die, 7 get life term
- Truck loaded with 40-ton onion missing
- Flower blooms with Azan
- Bridge attacker jailed for terror crimes: UK police
- PM opens 4 dev schemes incl 5 new ships
- Shakib elected Player of the Year even after ban
- Barca, Man United, Juventus to play tonight