Mysterious virus: China warns against travel to Wuhan
Published: 01:19 PM, 22 January 2020 Updated: 01:53 PM, 22 January 2020
Authorities of China have advised people to stop travel into and out of Wuhan, the city at the centre of a new virus that has killed nine. Those living in the city of 11 million have also been told to avoid crowds and minimise public gatherings.
The new virus has spread from Wuhan to several Chinese provinces as well as the US, Thailand, and South Korea, reported BBC.
There are 440 confirmed cases, with the origin a seafood market that "conducted illegal transactions of wild animals".
Authorities admitted that the country was now at the "most critical stage" of prevention and control. Earlier, China had confirmed that human-to-human transmission of the virus had taken place.
Read More: Coronavirus: Everything you need to know
The virus, known also as 2019-nCoV, is understood to be a new strain of coronavirus that has not previously been identified in humans. Signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties.
In one of the first public briefings since the beginning of the outbreak, National Health Commission vice-minister Li Bin said there was evidence that the disease was "mainly transmitted through the respiratory tract".
But China has still not been able to confirm the exact source of the virus.
"Though the transmission route of the virus is yet to be fully understood, there is a possibility of virus mutation and a risk of further spread of the epidemic," said Mr Li.
He also added that there were 2,197 people who were known to have come into contact with infected patients.
No super spreader - a patient who has transmitted the virus to more than 10 people - has been discovered so far. At least 15 medical workers in Wuhan, presumably those who came into contact with patients, are known to be infected with the virus.
- Over 80,000 police personnel appointed
- Zimbabwe reeling after Mushfiqur`s 203*
- Bangladesh to field against India
- Bangladesh declare after Mushfiqur`s double ton
- 55 pc work of Elevated Expressway completed
- One to die, 11 get life term for murder in Kushtia
- Dhaka-Sylhet 6-lane work begins in July
- Probe report in BB reserve heist case on March 29
- 9 shops gutted in Chattogram fire
- 16 Turkish fighters killed in Libya
- Donald Trump arrives in India on 2-day visit
- Date of Shab-e-Meraj to be known today
- Mominul departs for 132, Tigers crossed 400
- Sri Lanka opt to bat
- Mahathir Mohamad resigns
- Salman Shah commits suicide, not murdered: PBI
- Rain likely at many places
- 3 ACME employees killed in Naogaon road crash
- Bubly will not make any mistakes like Apu: Shakib
- Neymar gets red card in PSG comeback win
- 2 yrs of losing Sridevi, Janhvi remembering mother with best picture
- GP to pay Tk 1,000cr within three months
- Mominul ton, Mushfiq fifty take Tigers past 300
- Shooting at flea market in Texas
- Youth hacked dead in Noakhali
- China reports 150 more coronavirus deaths
- Two doctors die of coronavirus within 24hrs
- Tigresses faces India today
- PM for integrated development plans
- South Africa level T20 series over Australia
- All News »
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Korea to provide scanners to diagnose coronavirus to Bangladesh
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Coronavirus: 10,844 discharged from hospital
- Good news to honey farmers
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Israeli soldiers duped by Hamas
- Coronavirus: Elderly and sick are most at risk
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 2000
- Mother with dead daughter in VR show
- Hundreds of thousands of mussels dead in New Zealand heatwave
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- 14 children among 22 killed in Cameroon massacre
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- CUET student Tahmid dies
- BUET avoids combined admission test
- Crowd erupted at Shaheed Minar
- Man City, Man United, Inter Milan to play today
- Ivanka Trump wears hijab for mosque visit
- PM hands over Ekushey Padak-2020
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- Coronavirus: 2363 died, nearly 78 thousand infected
- 3 children among 4 dead in ‘horrific’ Australia car fire