Myanmar trying to avoid ‘liability’ for Rohingya genocide
Published: 08:46 PM, 11 September 2020 Updated: 08:47 PM, 11 September 2020
Mass grave of Rohingyas killed in genocide
The Myanmar government is under extreme pressure after two members of the country’s military force admitted to the allegations of brutal repression and genocide against the Rohingya people in Rakhine state, as a result, they have counter-alleged in order to avoid the liability, saying that “the confession has been forcibly obtained from two army members.”
Myo Win Tun, 33, and Zaw Naing Tun, 30, both former members of the Myanmar army currently at The Hague in the Netherlands, confessed to the Rohingya genocide to the Arakan Army (AA) in Rakhine earlier this year.
The confessions of the two former army members have put new pressure on Myanmar in the international arena, especially, the position of the country’s State Counselor Aung San Suu Kyi has been further questioned.
Because, in the case filed by the Gambia in the International Court of Justice (ICJ), the apex court of the United Nations, she appeared in person and spoke on behalf of her country, denying all the allegations of “Rohingya genocide”. For this reason, many have called for a trial against Myanmar by taking into account the first confession of the Rohingya genocide.
Myanmar Army spokesman Brigadier General Zaw Min Tun told the BBC Burmese on Wednesday that Myo Win Tun and Zaw Naing Tun were former members of the army. “The Arakan Army took confession by torturing them after their capture,” he said.
However, the Arakan Army has rejected the Myanmar army’s claim. Khine Thu Kha, a spokesman for the rebel group, told AFP on Thursday that the two soldiers had voluntarily confessed that the Myanmar army had committed war crimes.
He said several other fugitives from the Myanmar army had made similar confessions before. Those confessions have been posted online in recent months.