Myanmar on financial surveillance!
Published: 10:53 PM, 19 February 2020
Myanmar’s name is going to be on the list of global financial surveillance agencies for money laundering. The country is being listed for drug trafficking opportunities and poor financial control, according to a report of Reuters, citing two sources.
Myanmar’s name in the gray list of the Paris-based Financial Action Task Force (FATF) means the intergovernmental organization has found a “Strategic deficiencies” in the country’s ability to tackle money laundering and financing terrorism.
Getting a name on the list does not mean imposing sanctions. But inclusion on the list will reduce Myanmar’s financial development, investment and trade flow. The decision is expected to be made this week.
Meanwhile, Myanmar’s head of the Financial Intelligence Unit, Kayo Win Thein, is attending a meeting of the FATF in Paris this week.
“Myanmar is not on the gray list yet,” he told Reuters. The decision will be taken at Thursday’s meeting.
Two officials involved in the investigation of FATF’s proceedings and Myanmar have said that the anti-money laundering action plan has not yet been fully implemented. And that’s why the country is on the gray list at this week’s meeting.
The FATF usually announced the decision Friday after the meeting.
Kayo Win Thein said the Myanmar government is working on a strategic plan to curb trafficking.
Earlier, Myanmar was exempted from the FATF’s list in 2016 in order to make progress in tackling money laundering and terrorist financing. But then again, in some cases, the country was once again grayed out for failure. At present, 12 countries are on the list.
- 3 more die from coronavirus, 54 new infected
- Hajj registration process extended till Apr 16
- Holy Shab-E-Barat tomorrow
- Rain likely, temperature may fall
- New IGP Benazir, Mamun as new RAB DG
- Jahanara’s `8` tips to prevent Coronavirus infection
- Trump threatens WHO
- Police provides foodstuffs to helpless people in Kotalipara
- Fire gutted 10 shops in Tangail
- Coronavirus death toll in India rises to 160
- Coronavirus kills 2,000 in a single day in US
- Lockdown lifted in Wuhan after 76 days
- Adequate stock of salt in country
- Mathbaria under lockdown
- Coronavirus: Death toll tops 82 thousand globally
- Ronaldinho released from prison after 32 days
- James Bond actress Honor Blackman dies
- Death toll exceeds 6,000 in UK
- World witnesses last Pink Superman of the year today
- 1st coronavirus case identified in Tangail
- Death toll exceeds 17000 in Italy
- 52 areas of Capital locked down
- Spain records 743 more coronavirus deaths today
- Emergency telehealth service to launch for BU students
- Coronavirus infection tops 1.4 mn; death toll surging to 80,000
- 6 families in Ctg put in quarantine
- Narayanganj lockdown
- Why today’s Supermoon `pink`
- 170 families on voluntary lockdown in Dinajpur
- Coronavirus death toll tops 78,000
- All News »
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- Sylhet records 1st coronavirus case
- Army to go tough from today
- BTV bringing back Humayun Ahmed’s ‘Bohubrihi’ ‘Kothao Keu Nei’
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- Bangabandhu’s killer Abdul Majed held
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- Indian-origin South African HIV researcher dies from coronavirus
- Soldiers get urgent medical equips from Army Aviation
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- Bashundhara, Wari lockdown
- 13-year-old dies of coronavirus in London
- Ban on public transport extended till April 11
- Coronavirus test in Rangpur Medical begins
- Prince Charles recovers from coronavirus
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- 5 more die from coronavirus, 41 fresh cases detected
- 9 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 70
- 33 coronavirus patients recovered
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 63,000
- Narsingdi house lockdown over coronavirus suspicion
- 4 more die from coronavirus, taking total to 13: Health Minister
- Philippines ambassador to Lebanon dies of coronavirus
- Bachchu’s “Shei Tumi” storms in online in India
- 29 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 117