Myanmar not working as per commitment: PM
Published: 10:24 PM, 25 February 2019
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has said Myanmar is not working as per its commitment with Bangladesh on the repatriation of their Rohingya nationals to their homeland.
“We held talks and signed agreements with Myanmar on the repatriation of Rohingyas. But the Myanmar government is not acting in this regard,” she said.
The prime minister made the remarks when Dr Paul Connet and Ellen Connet, the recipients of “Friends of Bangladesh’s Liberation War Honour”, paid a courtesy call on her at her Jatiya Sangsad Office here this evening.
After the meeting, PM’s Press Secretary Ihsanul Karim briefed reporters.
Referring to the influx of over 11 lakh Rohingyas into Cox’s Bazar, the prime minister said they outnumbered the local people.
In this connection, Sheikh Hasina said her government is developing an island named Bhashanchar in Noakhali to give temporary shelter to the forcibly displaced Rohingyas.
“We’re developing the island with all facilities so that the Rohingyas can live in the island in a better condition and at this moment, 25,000 Rohingya families could be shifted there,” she said.
The prime minister recalled that over one crore Bangladeshi refugees took shelter in neighbouring India during the Liberation War in 1971.
Sheikh Hasina also remembered her and her younger sister Sheikh Rehana’s refugee life after the assassination of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman in 1975.
- Suhrawardy`s death anniv observed
- AG minister wants to export agricultural products
- Fire in Tongi factory: 11-unit firefighter on operation
- Accused dies in court praying for bail
- Bridges on Bhola-Barishal route by 2025
- Local population at risk for Rohingyas presence: TIB
- Shithi Saha hospitalized
- Banned player to play Bangabandhu BPL
- Discard ‘negative mindset’ about disabled people: PM
- Bangladesh wins by 249 runs as Maldives wrapped for 6
- Don`t ruin the court environment: Chief Justice
- Kaushik in Bangabandhu’s role
- 14 missing in deadly Ukraine fire: president
- Four cows looted, owner killed
- Militants brought three caps from prison
- 2 day-labourers electrocuted in Bhandaria
- Local AL leader hacked dead in C’nawabganj
- 58 dead as migrant boat sinks off Mauritania coast
- Malayalam actress Anjali facing death threat from live-in partner
- CUET ready to welcome President
- Magnitude quake hits China’s Xinjiang
- ‘Befitting reply to be given if creates unrest over case’
- 8 BUET students expelled for life from Titumir Hall
- Romantic song featuring Siam-Pori Moni’s chemistry!
- Light to moderate fog likely
- Int’l Volunteer Day being ovserbed
- Satyen Sen’s death anniv today
- DiCaprio among celebrities backing new climate initiative
- Neymar, Mbappe score in PSG win over Nantes
- 69 trains schedule changing
- All News »
- ‘Bangla’ recognized as 2nd official language in London
- Mohammed Rezwan, floating school innovator named as ‘Earth Hero’
- Physician couple in Dr Baker’s place, serving poor people
- OC Moazzem gets 8-yr jail
- VP Nur’s phone talks leaked
- Get about newly elected Metropolitan AL leaders
- Singer Asif turns actor
- 2 Jabale Nur drivers among 3 get life-term
- ‘No Dorai’ released at 8 halls
- Messi bags Ballon d’Or for record sixth time
- PM opens AL’s Dhaka City units council
- Trump makes surprise visit to Afghanistan
- Adequate vegetables in market, onion prices still not fall
- 7 dead in small plane crash in Canada
- ‘Bangabandhu Express’ to run from victory day
- BD scientist photo likely in UK currency soon
- Shaon in bridal dress!
- Video app TikTok unblocks teen who posted on China`s Muslims
- Trump signs Hong Kong human rights act
- Sunny Leone’s ‘Hello G’
- Siam’s new look in ‘Ittefaq’
- PM flies to Spain on Sunday to join COP25
- Kushtia double murder case: 4 to die, 7 get life term
- UN chief says humanity’s ‘war against nature’ must stop
- Truck loaded with 40-ton onion missing
- Flower blooms with Azan
- Bridge attacker jailed for terror crimes: UK police
- PM opens 4 dev schemes incl 5 new ships
- Barca, Man United, Juventus to play tonight
- Euro-2020: Match schedule