Myanmar landslide kills 6
Published: 02:12 PM, 6 January 2018
Six people were killed in a landslide in Myanmar`s Kachin state. The incident happened on Thursday evening.
A local official said that six migrant workers were killed and another injured by a collapsing slag heap on Thursday as they scavenged jade remnants in a mine in Hpakant township in northern Myanmar’s Kachin state.
On Thursday, in a statement, Police Lieutenant Colonel Myo Thura Naung of the Kachin State Police said that the landslide occurred at around 3 pm in the mining area of the Jade Land Company.
Myanmar’s Hpakant is the region where up to 90 percent of the world’s jadeite is mined and there have been a significant number of deaths over the past few years from a string of deadly landslides where slag heaps have collapsed on scavengers, who search amid dangerous mountains of rubble and tailings in jade mines for pieces of the valuable gemstone left behind in mining operations.
At least 115 migrant miners died in November 2015 when a 200-foot mountain of dirt and mine was collapsed on a makeshift settlement of miners’ huts.
Hpakant, which lies about 400 miles (640 kilometers) north of Myanmar’s capital Naypyidaw, is the center of the country’s jade mining industry and produces some of the highest-quality jade in the world.
Much of the gem is exported or smuggled to neighboring China where demand for the precious stone is high.
- Cardi B returns to court over strip club brawl allegations
- Jersey City gun battle leaves 6 dead, including cop
- US tightens sanctions on Myanmar army chief
- Bangabandhu BPL’s opening match today
- All flights at Shahjalal to be closed for 2.2 hrs today
- 2.7-km to be visible
- ADB to provide US$ 540m for human resource development
- Bijoy Mela begins in Ctg
- Premier Div Chess: Saif SC, Police share top slot
- Both Challengers, Thunder upbeat to start BPL with victory
- Brazilian president hails launching of Sino-Brazilian satellite
- 18th span of Padma Bridge to be installed tomorrow
- Turkey says ready to send troops to back Libya unity govt
- What should be said while entering house
- No room for anti-liberation forces in AL: Quader
- HC summons Sakhipur UNO, OC
- Int’l badminton tournament dedicating to Bangabandhu begins
- Two children drown in Kurigram
- Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed receives Nobel Peace Prize
- ECNEC okays 7 projects
- BBPL will miss Shakib: Russell
- Kamal urges all to engage more in tax, VAT payment
- 1mn more jobs in ICT sector within 5 yrs: Palak
- Enjoy BPL in 10 countries apart from Bangladesh
- NASA chief gets latest look at new moon rocket
- Miraz braces for two challenges in BBPL
- RAB detained 5 brokers from hospital
- The old man died of heart attack during buy onions
- Qatar`s Emir Sheikh Tamim skips Gulf summit in Saudi Arabia
- Suu Kyi sat frozen in ICJ
- All News »
- Salman-Katrina arrive Dhaka
- Bangladeshi student secures top position in Bar at law
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- Three TV channels to broadcast BPL opening ceremony live
- VP Nur’s phone talks leaked
- Mithila’s name changed after wedding
- Salman-Katrina to inebriate BPL stage
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- Srijit-Mithila’s honeymoon picture goes viral
- ‘Hotath Bristi’ actress June Malia gets married
- Rumpa’s ‘boyfriend’ Saikat on 4-day remand
- Trump calls Canada`s Trudeau `two-faced`
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- 4 killed in Florida police shootout over armed robbery
- Romantic song featuring Siam-Pori Moni’s chemistry!
- Former England captain Bob Willis dies
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- Mithila-Srijit’s honeymoon to Switzerland
- 3 of same family incl couple killed in Tangail road crash
- E-passport within 3 days!
- US House passed sanctions on China over Uighur issue
- Rights groups call for Myanmar boycott
- Storm over new black hole issue
- 58 dead as migrant boat sinks off Mauritania coast
- Pele’s last Brazil jersey sells for 30,000 euros in Italy
- France shuts down: Mass strike hits trains, Eiffel Tower
- Holy Fateha-e-Yazdaham today
- `Miss Pakistan` killed in a car crash
- TikTok sued in US over alleged China data transfer