Myanmar landslide kills 6
Published: 02:12 PM, 6 January 2018
Six people were killed in a landslide in Myanmar`s Kachin state. The incident happened on Thursday evening.
A local official said that six migrant workers were killed and another injured by a collapsing slag heap on Thursday as they scavenged jade remnants in a mine in Hpakant township in northern Myanmar’s Kachin state.
On Thursday, in a statement, Police Lieutenant Colonel Myo Thura Naung of the Kachin State Police said that the landslide occurred at around 3 pm in the mining area of the Jade Land Company.
Myanmar’s Hpakant is the region where up to 90 percent of the world’s jadeite is mined and there have been a significant number of deaths over the past few years from a string of deadly landslides where slag heaps have collapsed on scavengers, who search amid dangerous mountains of rubble and tailings in jade mines for pieces of the valuable gemstone left behind in mining operations.
At least 115 migrant miners died in November 2015 when a 200-foot mountain of dirt and mine was collapsed on a makeshift settlement of miners’ huts.
Hpakant, which lies about 400 miles (640 kilometers) north of Myanmar’s capital Naypyidaw, is the center of the country’s jade mining industry and produces some of the highest-quality jade in the world.
Much of the gem is exported or smuggled to neighboring China where demand for the precious stone is high.
- Bangladesh will be Asia’s highest economic growth nation: ADB
- Adequate foodstuffs reserved in the country: Quader
- Alamgir’s 70th birthday today
- Rakib’s horrific deposition of killing wife-children like Hindi drama
- Cricketer Salma distributes food of whole week to 60 families
- Woman gives birth newborn in ‘autorickshaw’
- Little Messi’s amazing video
- Magura patient dies in isolation
- US nurses protest over corona protective scarcity
- BCB announces monetary support for employees
- DMP spraying germicide to curb coronavirus
- 1 killed as truck overturned into ditch
- China to ban eating cats and dogs
- Corona test begins in Barishal tomorrow
- Coronavirus could be under control by late April
- Coronavirus: 150 bodies recovered from streets in Ecuador
- Five new signs of coronavirus infection found!
- Rain likely at many places
- No new death from coronavirus: Health Minister
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Over 1 million people infected with coronavirus
- National Film Day today
- Ireland works on preparing graves in advance
- US Captain who raised alarm over coronavirus removed
- Body found in roadside ditch in Noakhali
- Coronavirus claims 950 lives in Spain 24 hrs
- Shakib to provide coronavirus testing kits
- 12 Bangladeshis infected with coronavirus in Germany
- Trump again tests negative for coronavirus
- Peacock walks on road sensing lockdown
- All News »
- Coronavirus hospital to be built in Dhaka like China
- School holiday draws to Eid
- Actor Kazi Maruf, his wife infected with coronavirus
- 54 buildings of Mohammadpur under police surveillance
- British PM Boris Johnson infected with coronavirus
- British health secy Hancock test coronavirus positive
- Lawsuit filed against China for coronavirus outbreak
- Alibaba donates Bangladesh 30,000 Covid-19 testing kits
- US actor dies from coronavirus
- BD made ‘Spondon’ to save the life of critical patients
- AC land Sayma Hasan withdrawn
- Coronavirus measures could cause global food shortage, UN warns
- German minister commits suicide over ‘corona crisis worries’
- 15 of 48 corona patient recovered in Bangladesh; No new case
- Corona death mounts to 33,976, infected over .72m
- Cat found infected with coronavirus in Belgium
- First royal dies of coronavirus
- Dogs will detect Covid-19!
- Malaysia’s King and Queen in quarantine
- Lessons for secondary level students begins on Sangsad TV
- Padma Bridge’s last pillar work completed
- Corona death surpasses 24000 (update list)
- 101 yrs old Italian leaves hospital after healing from covid-19
- DSCC to provide one-month meal for 50,000 homeless
- England plans to return field by early May
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 51
- N Korea fires missiles amid coronavirus outbreak
- Thai King self-isolates with harem of 20 women!
- 5 killed, 11 injured as truck falls into ditch in Tangail
- Corona death toll crosses 40,000; infected over .8 million