Munier Chowdhury’s 93rd birthday today
Published: 11:57 AM, 27 November 2018 Updated: 11:57 AM, 27 November 2018
The 93rd birthday of martyred intellectual, educationist and playwright Munier Chowdhury is being celebrated in the country on Tuesday.
Born in Manikganj on November 27, 1925, his ancestral home was in Noakhali district. His father Khan Bahadur Abdul Halim Chowdhury was a district magistrate.
He completed his matriculation from Dhaka Collegiate School in 1941 and intermediate examination from Aligarh Muslim University. Munier then studied English literature for his bachelor’s degree (with honours) in 1946 and masters’ in 1947 at Dhaka University.
He was expelled from Salimullah Hall, his residential dorm, because of his involvement in leftist politics. He was imprisoned for two years in 1952 for his participation in the Bengali Language Movement. While in jail, in 1954, Munier appeared at the masters’ examination in Bengali literature and stood first in the first class.
Later, in 1958, Munier obtained his third masters degree in linguistics from Harvard University.
Munier Chowdhury taught for some time at a college located in Khulna (1947-1950) and at Jagannath College (1950). Then, he joined Dhaka University (1950-1971), teaching in both English and Bangla departments.
Munier was a staunch nationalist and stood up against all forms of cultural repression. In 1967, he protested against the Pakistan government’s directive to ban Tagore’s songs on Radio and TV. He also protested against the move to reform the Bangla alphabet.
Munier Chowdhury was associated with all contemporary national movements. He declared his solidarity with the non-cooperation movement called by Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman in March 1971.
Munier Chowdhury wrote a number of plays, including Kabar, Dandakaranya, Palashi Barrack O Anyanya, Raktakta Prantar and, Chithi.
He also translated a number of foreign plays into Bangla, and acted and directed plays for the stage, radio, television and cinema.
Munier was picked up on December 14, 1971, by local collaborators and later tortured and killed by the Pakistan Army.
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- Lightning kills 9 in 4 districts
- `Action against who discourage Rohingya `
- August 15 and 21 are in same knot
- First successful Air-raid in history
- Kashmir: Bone of contention between India-Pakistan
- Israel detains 16 Palestinians in West Bank raids
- Golden fibre makes farmer smile
- Govt to recruit 61 thousand primary teacher
- 15 houses fined having Aedes larvae in city
- Mother’s fight to fulfill daughter’s wish
- 3-day ‘Tree Fair’ begins in Manirampur
- ‘Sonar Bangla should be established to pay homage to Bangabandhu’
- Soroj Mehedi becomes BD Chief executive to MEDCOM-2020
- Big profit in little invest
- PEC exam schedule published
- Commerce Minister sought Brazil’s help to rise export
- Soumitra Chatterjee discharged from hospital
- Israel seeks to beat PTSD with ‘ecstasy’ therapy
- Mechanized farming in Bishwanath
- Mosharraf Karim flew to Canada on birthday!
- Air-ticket on mobile app
- Rohingya refused to go back
- Hardware security keys for Two-Factor Authentication!
- 2,549 dengue patients return home after recovery in Khulna
- 3 mobile operators gave Tk 9k crore to google-Facebook
- PM urges to improve Biman’s passenger services
- Nurse murdered over ‘triangle extra-marital affair’
- Rangpur farmers happy with better jute price
- Bubly wants to work with another instead of Shakib
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Truck driver rescues girl from rape on moving bus
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- Sabbir invites PM to his wedding
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- Kona disclosed her marriage 3 months later!
- Immortal sayings of Bangabandhu
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- Nayan`s last SMS to Minni
- App launches to prevent dengue
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Jyoti’s new film in Kolkata
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- DU increases registration time for 52nd convocation
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- BCB seek clarity from Mashrafe Mortaza about ODI future
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- Pak-India war! 8 soldiers killed on LoC
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves