Munier Chowdhury’s 93rd birthday today
Published: 11:57 AM, 27 November 2018 Updated: 11:57 AM, 27 November 2018
The 93rd birthday of martyred intellectual, educationist and playwright Munier Chowdhury is being celebrated in the country on Tuesday.
Born in Manikganj on November 27, 1925, his ancestral home was in Noakhali district. His father Khan Bahadur Abdul Halim Chowdhury was a district magistrate.
He completed his matriculation from Dhaka Collegiate School in 1941 and intermediate examination from Aligarh Muslim University. Munier then studied English literature for his bachelor’s degree (with honours) in 1946 and masters’ in 1947 at Dhaka University.
He was expelled from Salimullah Hall, his residential dorm, because of his involvement in leftist politics. He was imprisoned for two years in 1952 for his participation in the Bengali Language Movement. While in jail, in 1954, Munier appeared at the masters’ examination in Bengali literature and stood first in the first class.
Later, in 1958, Munier obtained his third masters degree in linguistics from Harvard University.
Munier Chowdhury taught for some time at a college located in Khulna (1947-1950) and at Jagannath College (1950). Then, he joined Dhaka University (1950-1971), teaching in both English and Bangla departments.
Munier was a staunch nationalist and stood up against all forms of cultural repression. In 1967, he protested against the Pakistan government’s directive to ban Tagore’s songs on Radio and TV. He also protested against the move to reform the Bangla alphabet.
Munier Chowdhury was associated with all contemporary national movements. He declared his solidarity with the non-cooperation movement called by Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman in March 1971.
Munier Chowdhury wrote a number of plays, including Kabar, Dandakaranya, Palashi Barrack O Anyanya, Raktakta Prantar and, Chithi.
He also translated a number of foreign plays into Bangla, and acted and directed plays for the stage, radio, television and cinema.
Munier was picked up on December 14, 1971, by local collaborators and later tortured and killed by the Pakistan Army.
- Pollard, Bravo named in Windies` CWC19 reserves
- Farmers face Tk 11,000 loss per Bigha!
- Security to be beefed up for Eid-ul Fitr: HM
- World Metrology Day tomorrow
- Setaria farming to increase fertility
- Cabinet reshuffle: Murad shifted in Info Ministry
- How to pass 65 days?
- Bangladesh`s World Cup mission starts
- Second semifinal to be held at Edgbaston
- May plans ‘bold offer’ to get support deal
- 152,000 passed in NTRCA preli
- Life-Changing Lessons from the Quran (Part-1)
- Trump breaks silence amid Alabama abortion ban
- Saudi Arabia calls urgent meetings over Gulf tensions
- Telenor health observes World Hypertension Day 2019
- Bangladesh fretful over Gulf’s oil establishments attack
- Indictment hearing in Niko graft case deferred again
- Khaleda to be shifted at country’s first Women’s Prison
- Modi quits meditation finally
- Republican calls for Trump impeachment
- 5 Rohingyas held with Bangladeshi PP in Dhaka airport
- Eid holidaymakers’ sufferings to be reduced
- Procurement of Boro rice begins in Rajshahi
- One dies of Agargaon TV blast victims
- Rain likely till tomorrow morning
- InshaAllah I will play 2nd innings now: Quader
- Woman, son killed by lightning strike
- Actress Maya Ghosh dies
- Al leader’s brother shot dead
- PM hosts iftar for alem, war-wounded FFs today
- All News »
- Bangladesh easily chased down Ireland`s 292
- Magnitude 7.5 quake hits off Papua New Guinea
- Justice Salma Masud accused of changing court verdict
- Rajshahi mango to be available from May 15
- People on Mars by 2033 or 2060
- HC asks to remove 52 adulterated products by 10 days
- Narayanganj’s Araihazar OC withdrawn
- Bringing flavor back to tomatoes
- EVMs to be used in 6 UZs in last phases of polls
- May agrees timetable to choose new UK PM
- Six killed as bus hits tree in Bagerhat
- Six more Bangladeshi missing
- Protik’s World Cup song ‘Banglar Damal Chelera’
- No sabotage threat over ‘Buddha Purnima’ fest
- Poverty rate comes down
- BCL announced full-fledged committee
- Obaidul Quader to return home May 15
- Bangabandhu Satellites’ 1st launching anniv today
- PM likely to visit 3 countries
- Decomposed bodies of woman, son, daughter found
- Eid advance bus ticket sale begins
- Quader to join his office today
- Mahbubul A Khalid’s songs on Mother’s Day
- Two Rohingya human traffickers killed in gunfight
- Quader returns home this evening
- Thor actor Isaac Kappy commits suicide
- World Telecommunication and Information Society Day today
- 3000 tubewells need to free from arsenic
- ‘Steps taken to rehabilitate prisoners’
- Advanced train ticket sale begins May 22