Munier Chowdhury’s 93rd birthday today
Published: 11:57 AM, 27 November 2018 Updated: 11:57 AM, 27 November 2018
The 93rd birthday of martyred intellectual, educationist and playwright Munier Chowdhury is being celebrated in the country on Tuesday.
Born in Manikganj on November 27, 1925, his ancestral home was in Noakhali district. His father Khan Bahadur Abdul Halim Chowdhury was a district magistrate.
He completed his matriculation from Dhaka Collegiate School in 1941 and intermediate examination from Aligarh Muslim University. Munier then studied English literature for his bachelor’s degree (with honours) in 1946 and masters’ in 1947 at Dhaka University.
He was expelled from Salimullah Hall, his residential dorm, because of his involvement in leftist politics. He was imprisoned for two years in 1952 for his participation in the Bengali Language Movement. While in jail, in 1954, Munier appeared at the masters’ examination in Bengali literature and stood first in the first class.
Later, in 1958, Munier obtained his third masters degree in linguistics from Harvard University.
Munier Chowdhury taught for some time at a college located in Khulna (1947-1950) and at Jagannath College (1950). Then, he joined Dhaka University (1950-1971), teaching in both English and Bangla departments.
Munier was a staunch nationalist and stood up against all forms of cultural repression. In 1967, he protested against the Pakistan government’s directive to ban Tagore’s songs on Radio and TV. He also protested against the move to reform the Bangla alphabet.
Munier Chowdhury was associated with all contemporary national movements. He declared his solidarity with the non-cooperation movement called by Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman in March 1971.
Munier Chowdhury wrote a number of plays, including Kabar, Dandakaranya, Palashi Barrack O Anyanya, Raktakta Prantar and, Chithi.
He also translated a number of foreign plays into Bangla, and acted and directed plays for the stage, radio, television and cinema.
Munier was picked up on December 14, 1971, by local collaborators and later tortured and killed by the Pakistan Army.
- BNP is a failed political party: Quader
- 2 held over ‘rape’ of girl in N’ganj
- Srijit was hot-headed before marriage: Raima
- Ishita sings with son
- 11 held with marijuana-cash in Bhairab
- Facebook to boost site safety with 1,000 more UK staff
- Tigers’ Pak T20 series rescheduled
- Newborn baby found wrapped in lungi
- No alternative to eating alone to lose weight!
- Coronavirus: Everything you need to know
- 2 Indian soldiers killed in Kashmir gunfight
- Three-way traffic collision kills 4 in Keraniganj
- Child drowned in Faridpur
- Homemade way to blacken hair
- National Science and Technology Week begins in Gopalganj
- Illegal establishments abolished in Singair
- 68,000 families to get disaster-resistant home in Mujib Year
- De Kock to lead SA ODI team
- Baby dies after drowning in Faridpur
- Debtor stabbed farmer for Tk 200
- Bride’s mother elopes with groom’s father
- U-19 WC: Junior Tigers reach quarterfinals
- 2 detained with Indian cows in Roumari border
- Locals block road in protest of eve-teasing in Sunamganj
- 5 members of ‘Malam Party’ arrested
- Mushy placed in T20 innings of the year
- Duke of Sussex to start new chapter in Canada
- 2 crushed under train in Joypurhat
- Bird fair at Jahangirnagar University Friday
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF in Panchagarh
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Ticket price of BPL final increased
- Youth killed in road crash after returning home 24 yrs later
- ‘All coaching centers to remain shut from Jan 25’
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Video of man hugging, kissing pride of lions goes viral
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- 32% work of Bangabandhu Novo Theatre in Rajshahi completed
- 28 institutes named after Bangabandhu and family members
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- Russell hero as Rajshahi through final
- Apu Biswas to rock two shows in India
- Secrets of 1,000-year-old ginkgo trees unlocked
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- Bangabandhu BPL trophy arrives
- DU expels 63 students for life
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Khulna faces Rajshahi in BPL final today
- Flight operations at HSIA still halted today
- 39 killed in intense fighting in Syria’s Idlib
- New complexity in primary teacher recruitment
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- 5,000 camels shot dead in Australia
- Bangladesh on right track to attain SDGs: PM
- Razakar Kaiser’s death penalty upheld
- Verdict in Myanmar genocide case Jan 23
- Lawmaker Abdul Mannan in ICU
- Bus-ambulance collision kills 2 in Rangpur