Munier Chowdhury’s 93rd birthday today
Published: 11:57 AM, 27 November 2018 Updated: 11:57 AM, 27 November 2018
The 93rd birthday of martyred intellectual, educationist and playwright Munier Chowdhury is being celebrated in the country on Tuesday.
Born in Manikganj on November 27, 1925, his ancestral home was in Noakhali district. His father Khan Bahadur Abdul Halim Chowdhury was a district magistrate.
He completed his matriculation from Dhaka Collegiate School in 1941 and intermediate examination from Aligarh Muslim University. Munier then studied English literature for his bachelor’s degree (with honours) in 1946 and masters’ in 1947 at Dhaka University.
He was expelled from Salimullah Hall, his residential dorm, because of his involvement in leftist politics. He was imprisoned for two years in 1952 for his participation in the Bengali Language Movement. While in jail, in 1954, Munier appeared at the masters’ examination in Bengali literature and stood first in the first class.
Later, in 1958, Munier obtained his third masters degree in linguistics from Harvard University.
Munier Chowdhury taught for some time at a college located in Khulna (1947-1950) and at Jagannath College (1950). Then, he joined Dhaka University (1950-1971), teaching in both English and Bangla departments.
Munier was a staunch nationalist and stood up against all forms of cultural repression. In 1967, he protested against the Pakistan government’s directive to ban Tagore’s songs on Radio and TV. He also protested against the move to reform the Bangla alphabet.
Munier Chowdhury was associated with all contemporary national movements. He declared his solidarity with the non-cooperation movement called by Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman in March 1971.
Munier Chowdhury wrote a number of plays, including Kabar, Dandakaranya, Palashi Barrack O Anyanya, Raktakta Prantar and, Chithi.
He also translated a number of foreign plays into Bangla, and acted and directed plays for the stage, radio, television and cinema.
Munier was picked up on December 14, 1971, by local collaborators and later tortured and killed by the Pakistan Army.
- Transplantation of boro paddy seedling gets momentum
- NASA greenlights SpaceX crew capsule test to ISS
- Two killed in Pekua clash
- We are on a rise as a team: Hetmyer
- UN Secy General condoles deaths in Chawkbazar fire
- Sadman, Riyad, Miraz strikes fifty in warm-up
- 7 drug traders among 30 held in Dinajpur
- Village doctor shot dead in Teknaf
- Dry weather with partly cloudy sky likely
- ‘Chemical godowns not removed despite drives is regretful’
- 1,482 bottles of Phensidyl recovered in Jashore
- Father, son among 4 killed in road crashes
- Sudan President declares year-long state of emergency
- PM at burn unit of DMCH
- 50 die after drinking poisonous liquor in India
- 5 decades of Bangabandhu title
- PM to visit Chawkbazar fire victims at DMCH today
- La Liga: Barcelona to face Sevilla tonight
- 1 killed as tree fall in capital, 7 injured
- Saudi Arabia strikes $10bn China deal
- Students’ council formed in 8,684 schools
- Fire broke in Cumilla Moon Hospital
- Evidence of ‘chemical’ connection to Churihatta fire found
- Wazed Mia works for humanity: Speaker
- Ultra-processed foods links cancer risk
- 10 shops gutted in Melandaha
- None would be able to destroy Bengali culture: PM
- Kartoa land more fertile for tea: Experts
- BNP’s anti-govt comts over city fire improper: Hasan
- Chelsea banned from signing new players
- All News »
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Another spell of gas suspension in Capital Tuesday
- 16 burnt, 50 injured in Churihatta fire
- JnU BCL committee dissolved
- BCL factional clash hurt 45 in JnU
- Daily Bangladesh mourns death in Chawkbazar fire
- 1 killed as tree fall in capital, 7 injured
- Drug trader hurt in Chatmohor gunfight
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Gas supply shutdown in Dhaka including Savar
- Nation set to pay homage to language martyrs
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- Japan probe Hayabusa2 makes asteroid landing
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Death toll in Nigeria attack doubles to 130
- Samsung to launch US retail stores in smartphone push
- Prominent poet Al Mahmud dies
- Last tributes to poet Al Mahmud at Bangla Academy
- 1st phase of nomination withdrawal ends today
- General Osmani’s 35th death anniversary today
- Sadhan urges officials to brighten up govt image
- Zulfikar Ali will survive if he got your help
- SERG Zahurul Haque’s death anniversary observed
- No pardon for drug traders: IGP
- India shouldn`t play Pakistan in World Cup: Harbhajan
- Maduro blasts US for ‘stealing’
- BNP chalks out 2-day programme to mark Feb 21
- Shop gutted in Sylhet fire