Mozambique ex-minister in S.Africa court over loan scandal
Published: 03:41 PM, 9 January 2019 Updated: 03:41 PM, 9 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Mozambique’s former finance minister Manuel Chang made a brief court appearance in Johannesburg on Tuesday after being arrested at the city’s airport over alleged secret loans to Mozambican state companies totaling $2 billion.
Chang sat in the dock as his lawyers argued that his detention on a US extradition request was illegal.
Since his arrest on December 29, three former employees of Credit Suisse bank have also been arrested in London.
Chang, who was finance minister between 2005 and 2015, is accused by US authorities of conspiracy to commit wire fraud, securities fraud and money laundering.
Between 2013 and 2014, Mozambique state-owned security companies borrowed about $2 billion (1.75 billion euros), but the government only disclosed most of the debt to the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in 2016.
The hidden debt plunged Mozambique into its worst financial crisis since independence in 1975.
“Detention of Mr. Chang is illegal because his arrest was effectively on terms of an ineffective warrant,” Willie Vermeulen, Chang’s lawyer, told the court.
Public prosecutor Elivera Dreyer applied for the case to be postponed. Judge Sagra Subroyen agreed, saying she would hand down a ruling on Wednesday.
US prosecutors allege that Chang received $12 million to agree to sign the loan agreements. About $200 million was spent on bribes and kickbacks, according to the US indictment.
Chang, dressed in a dark jacket, dark shirt and jeans, did not speak during Tuesday’s hearing.
Mozambique’s attorney general said Monday there were 18 defendants in their own investigations into the case, but no convictions have been made since the scandal was unearthed in 2015.
In addition to Chang, two other unnamed Mozambican citizens are accused by US prosecutors of being involved in fraud related to the $2 billion debt.
Lebanese businessman Jean Boustani, accused of helping coordinate the alleged fraud, was arrested at a New York airport on January 2.
- Say Alhamdulillah
- Young hacked to death for a hundred bucks
- Clean tech fair begins promoting environment friendly metals
- Balakot air strikes planner new R&AW chief now
- Gayle confirms retirement plans are on hold
- Democrats seeks $4.5bn aid for boarder migrants
- Nusrat murder case: Death threat to witnesses
- Two youth electrocuted in Bogura
- Expatriate to jail praying bail
- Trump warns any conflict with Iran `wouldn`t last long`
- President urged to protect rights of physically challenged people
- 1 kg heroin seized in Rajshahi, youth detained
- Ershad in ICU
- Surath Kumar made Chief Information Officer
- Bill before finishing project
- Pakistan restrict New Zealand to 237
- Breakfast miss! It rises risk of death: study
- Abahani making history beating India 1-0
- PM embarks on five-day China visit Monday
- Two to walk gallows for raping girl in Shariatpur
- Photos of drowned father and daughter spark global outrage
- PM fears safety disruption in Rohingya return dilatory
- Arrest warrant against 78 in DU question leak
- Rabindra University: HC bars VC, 3 other to run activities
- Bogura road crash kills schoolboy
- No resign letter received so far: Law minister
- Shaheen dismisses Latham, NZ 4 down
- Dialogs with US impossible: Iran
- SAU to observe Bangabandhu’s Birth Centenary
- Shaheen strikes again to remove Taylor
- All News »
- Sarafa Infotech’s new director Soroj Mehedi
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- General Aziz - A Dedicated Golfer Army Chief
- Bangladesh achieves fastest growth in Asia-Pacific
- Europe’s oldest person ‘Nonna Peppa’ died at 116
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- No exempt, although it is MP-Minister’s house: Rezaul
- ‘No Dorai’: Surfing base film with Chatgaiya language
- Ex-MP Rana gets bail
- 3 farmers killed in Natore road crash
- Hajj cost in Bangladesh less than India: Minister
- Happy birthday to football magician Messi
- 3 to die, 7 get life for Kishoreganj murder
- Take development schemes protecting environment: PM
- Boat capsizes at Sadarghat: two minors’ body recovered
- 2 female RMG workers’ bodies recovered in Ashulia
- Ayub Bachchu Chottor being built with Rupali Guitar
- Williamson ton, Grandhomme power New Zealand in thriller
- Gold, Diamond, Silver gets validation in fair
- Female UP member hacked to death in N’ganj
- Arrest warrant against Pran’s MD
- UN praises Bangladesh peacekeepers
- Fire at Cumilla EPZ
- Rainfall may increase in next 72 hrs
- PM’s China visit in July; plan to boost bilateral ties
- Habiganj municipality by-election underway
- ‘King of Pop’ Michael’s 10th death anniv today
- Birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal today