Mosque blast kills 2 in Pakistan
Published: 04:12 PM, 24 May 2019
Two people were killed and 15 were wounded in a blast inside Rehmania mosque in Quetta's Pashtoonabad in Pakistan during Friday prayers, according to Civil Hospital medical superintendent (MS) Dr. Saleem Abro.
The injured were shifted to Civil Hospital Quetta.
The area has been cordoned off by police and the nature of the blast is yet to be determined. There has been no claim of responsibility as yet.
Balochistan Chief Minister Jam Kamal Khan Alyani condemned the blast and summoned a report on the incident. He expressed grief over the deaths and multiple injuries caused by the blast.
"Those who make innocent people the target of terrorism in this blessed month and on this blessed day deserve a severe punishment," he said, while ordering security measures in the city to be further strengthened.
Alyani condoled with the family of the deceased and prayed for the speedy recovery of the injured.
In a post shared on Twitter, State Minister for States and Frontier Regions Shehryar Afridi condemned the attack, saying: "Another nefarious act by evil forces in Quetta".
Even in Ramazan they choose to target civilians praying in a masjid, Afridi wrote, adding: "It is so painful [and] astonishing to see that evil forces are targeting innocent civilians."
National Assembly Speaker Asad Qaiser and Deputy Speaker Qasim Suri also strongly condemned the attack and said that those who attack mosques and other places of worship are enemies of humanity and have no relation to any religion.
They ordered law enforcement agencies to bring those who were involved in the incident to justice while expressing grief over the deaths caused by the blast and praying for the speedy recovery of the injured.
This is the fifth attack in Balochistan since the beginning of Ramazan.
On May 11, at least five people lost their lives in a terror attack targeting the Pearl Continental in Gwadar, the army's media wing said in a statement, as it announced the conclusion of its clearance operation of the hotel.
Less than a week later, 14 passengers were offloaded from a passenger bus on the Makran Coastal Highway and shot dead by unidentified assailants.
On May 9, a tribal elder and two others were killed in a blast in Qilla Abdullah, and on May 10, two coal miners and three FC men were martyred in a blast in Khost.
On April 12, 20 people were killed and 48 others injured in the Hazarganji market blast targeting Quetta's Hazara community. The same day, two people were killed in a blast targeting a Frontier Corps vehicle in Chaman.
- Today’s Sports on TV
- Domestic flights in 3 routes resume today
- Two rickshaw puller brothers passed SSC exam
- Submerged paddy fields in Jamalpur
- ‘Covidiot’ Oxford dictionary’s new word
- Coronavirus death toll surging to 374,000
- Sweden passport ranked most powerful in world
- ASP of Police Academy tests COVID-19 positive
- Jordan reopens mosques, churches for prayer
- Italy’s Tower of Pisa reopens after 3 months
- Music director Wajid Khan dies
- US registered 960 new COVID-19 deaths in 1 day
- PM announces waving Tk 2000cr bank interest of COVID-hit people
- 21 more tested positive for coronavirus in Sunamganj
- 197 Bangladeshis died of coronavirus in Saudi Arabia
- Chattogram reports 118 new coronavirus cases
- Turkey’s domestic flights resume today
- Coronavirus cases surpass 6 million
- 10 killed as minibus hits roadside bomb in Somalia
- Elderly woman dies of COVID-19 in Chattogram
- Girls ahead in GPA-5, boys in pass rate
- La Liga clubs to resume full training from Monday
- 8 launches fined for taking extra passengers
- Poverty couldn`t stop Asmani
- Two more labs to detect coronavirus in Capital
- Girl commits suicide after failing in SSC exam
- 19 militants killed in military drive in Egypt
- Another 167 UK nationals leave Sylhet
- Lalmonirhat reports nine new coronavirus cases
- BNP does not think of toiling masses: Hasan Mahmud
- All News »
- Noble got married for 3rd time seven months ago!
- Noble made his wife Salsabil a model in music video
- Thousands offer Eid prayers in knee-deep water
- 4 cops charged for killing a black man in US
- Three killed as microbus falls into Munshiganj ditch
- 23 die, highest infection recorded in last 24 hrs
- Highest 1,975 COVID-19 cases in a day, 21 die
- Noble faces RAB interrogation
- 22 die, 1541 infected in last 24 hours
- Over 2000 infected in 24 hours, 15 dead
- Karate coach Humayun Kabir Jewel dies
- Fire at United Hospital: 5 COVID-19 patients die
- Offices resume from May 31
- SSC-equivalent results published, pass 82.87 pc
- 1166 new infected in 24 hrs, 21 die
- Record deaths, infections in 24 hours
- Electronic mask developed to prevent coronavirus!
- India backs hydroxychloroquine for coronavirus treatment
- Brazil’s COVID-19 deaths surge past Spain
- Former national footballer Salauddin passes away
- 26 Bangladeshis shot dead in Libya
- Happy birthday ‘Legendary Actor’ Humayun Faridi
- A thrilling operation by Police: 6 youths rescued from Sundarbans
- SSC result today: How to pre-register
- Xi Jinping asks Chinese military to prepare for battle
- Mahathir expelled from party
- Hong Kong `no longer autonomous`: Pompeo
- One dies, nine more test positive for coronavirus in Bhola
- Former AL MP Moqbul dies of coronavirus
- BRTA recommends to hike 80pc bus fare