Month-long Amar Ekushey Book Fair ends today
Published: 11:39 AM, 2 March 2019 Updated: 02:36 PM, 2 March 2019
The month-long Amar Ekushey Grantha Mela that brought together the country’s well-known writers, as well as authors, thinkers, and entertainers on one stage, will come to an end on Saturday following an extension of two-days.
The month-long Amar Ekushey Book Fair, an annual event arranged throughout February for bookworms, publishers and writers, is drawing to a close on Saturday despite all formalities were done on Thursday, the last day of February.
Some 770 stalls of 499 publishing houses and other institutions are taking part in the fair whose theme of this years’ is “from 52 to 71, from 71 to 19-new era”.
Bangla Academy Chairman Professor Emeritus Anisuzzaman chaired the formal closing ceremony on Thursday. State Minister for Cultural Affairs KM Khalid was present as the chief guest.
Academy’s director and Amar Ekushey Book Fair member secretary Jalal Ahmed presented the report of the fair while Bangla Academy director general Habibullah Siraji delivered the welcome speech.
Jalal Ahmed said that the academy has sold books worth Tk 2.15 crore. According to stall owners, the total book sale this year was 10 percent higher than the previous year.
A total of 4685 new books have hit the fair till the 28th day on Thursday, which has already surpassed last previous two year’s release of 4134 and 3646 books respectively.
Bangla Academy has handed over the ‘Kabi Jasimuddin Award-2019’ to poet Nirmalendu Goon who is an Ekushey Padak winning litterateur.
Besides, ‘Chittaranjan Saha Smriti Puroskar 2019’ was given to publishing house ‘Katha Prakash’ for publishing maximum numbers of quality books in 2018.
‘Prothoma Prakashani’, ‘Journeyman Books and Chandrabati Academy’ jointly won ‘Munier Chowdhury Smriti Puraskar 2019’ for publishing ‘Bidrohi Ranaklanto’, a biography of national poet Kazi Nazrul Islam, written by Golam Murshid, ‘Monorathe Shilper Pothe’ by Moinuddin Khaled and ‘Muthor Bhetor Rod’ by Maruful Islam respectively.
‘Rokonuzzaman Khan Dadabhai Smriti Puraskar 2019’ was given to ‘Panjeree Publications Limited’ for publishing maximum numbers of quality books on children in 2018.
‘Madhyama’, ‘Batighar’ and ‘Panjeree Publications Ltd’ were rewarded with ‘Qayyum Chowdhury Smriti Puraskar’ for the aesthetic decoration of their stalls.
Two cultural functions were also held on Bangla Academy premises and Suhrawardy Udyan to mark the formalities to close the month-long book fair.
On February 1, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina inaugurated the month-long fair that is arranged by Bangla Academy on the premises of the academy and its adjoining Suhrawardy Udyan.
- Greta slams `misleading` climate pledges at chaotic UN summit
- Afif seeks tips from Russell to be good power-hitter
- Six dead in hours-long New York-area shootout
- Momen leaves for India tomorrow
- Minority people are living in peace: Quader
- Three motorcycles suddenly on ablaze in front of High Court
- Avijit Roy killing: Court summons Bonya Dec 30
- BRAC, NF to build 50 learning centers for Rohingya children
- Dhaka pushes for support to deal with climate change
- Suu Kyi titles ‘Rohingya genocide’ as minor issue
- Govt works to increase trade ties with Belarus: Commerce Minister
- Myanmar people calling Suu Kyi a liar
- Premier Chess: Saif SC, Bangladesh Police maintain their lead
- Eat 2 Dates every day
- Access barred to National Memorial from Dec 12 to 15
- Cumilla starts BBPL with 105-run win
- ‘All registered parties should include ‘Joy Bangla’ slogan’
- Law enforcers will offset violence: Quader
- Kamal for low-cost net connections in Asia-Pacific region
- Bangladeshi among 5 killed in Saudi road accident
- US-Bangla Airlines with `Evelly Celluloid 71`
- 2 women detained with weed
- Mushy vows to keep up his good form in BBPL
- DNCC gets waste management system in 18 wards
- UGC orders all public universities to shut evening courses
- Internet blackout in Assam after Tripura
- Keraniganj factory fire under control, 1 dies
- Rohingyas’ acute detest on Suu Kyi
- 10 killed in Somalia hotel attack
- Khoka, Selim Osman elected JaPa’s Presidium Members
- All News »
- Salman-Katrina arrive Dhaka
- Bangladeshi student secures top position in Bar at law
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- Three TV channels to broadcast BPL opening ceremony live
- VP Nur’s phone talks leaked
- Mithila’s name changed after wedding
- Salman-Katrina to inebriate BPL stage
- Srijit-Mithila’s honeymoon picture goes viral
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- ‘Hotath Bristi’ actress June Malia gets married
- Rumpa’s ‘boyfriend’ Saikat on 4-day remand
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- Trump calls Canada`s Trudeau `two-faced`
- 4 killed in Florida police shootout over armed robbery
- Romantic song featuring Siam-Pori Moni’s chemistry!
- Former England captain Bob Willis dies
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- Mithila-Srijit’s honeymoon to Switzerland
- Rights groups call for Myanmar boycott
- 3 of same family incl couple killed in Tangail road crash
- US House passed sanctions on China over Uighur issue
- E-passport within 3 days!
- Storm over new black hole issue
- 58 dead as migrant boat sinks off Mauritania coast
- Pele’s last Brazil jersey sells for 30,000 euros in Italy
- France shuts down: Mass strike hits trains, Eiffel Tower
- North Korea conducts ‘very important test’
- Holy Fateha-e-Yazdaham today
- `Miss Pakistan` killed in a car crash