Modric wins Ballon d’Or, ends reign of Messi, Ronaldo
Published: 10:42 AM, 4 December 2018 Updated: 10:42 AM, 4 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Luka Modric ended the long reign of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo by winning the Ballon d'Or for the first time on Monday, while another first saw Norwegian forward Ada Hegerberg win the inaugural women's trophy.
Messi and Ronaldo had won every Ballon d'Or since 2008 and usually fought only each other for the greatest recognition among soccer's elite. Women's fight for recognition on the biggest stage took a big step with Hegerberg's award.
Modric won the Champions League with Real Madrid and then guided Croatia to the World Cup final in July. The midfielder was voted player of the tournament.
"As a kid we all have dreams. My dream was to play for a big club and win important trophies," Modric said. "The Ballon d'Or was more than just a dream for me and it is really an honor and a privilege to hold this trophy."
Ronaldo was second in the polling followed by France forward Antoine Griezmann. France's teen star, Kylian Mbappe, was fourth. Brazil star Neymar was third last year but only 12th this time. Messi was fifth in the voting, having been runner-up to Ronaldo the past two years and in the top three every year since 2007. Modric had never previously been in the top three.
"2018 is a dream year for me," the 33-year-old Modric said. "Throughout my career, I realized hard work, persistence and belief in yourself in difficult moments are the foundations of success."
Modric's father was shown on the big screen wiping away tears during the ceremony at the imperious Grand Palais in Paris.
Ronaldo missed out on a record sixth award, which would have moved him one ahead of Messi. The last player to win it before those two started dominating world soccer awards was Brazil midfielder Kaka with AC Milan in 2007.
Ronaldo also won the Champions League last season with Modric, before leaving to join Juventus. He scored a hat-trick against Spain at the World Cup but he failed to make an impression when Portugal lost to Uruguay in the round of 16.
Mbappe and Griezmann scored in the 4-2 World Cup final win against Croatia. Mbappe earned a domestic treble with Paris Saint-Germain. Griezmann also scored twice for Atletico Madrid in the Europa League final win against Marseille.
France coach Didier Deschamps said a France player should have won the award.
"They deserve it because of what they did with the national team at the World Cup and also because of the trophies they won with their clubs," Deschamps said.
The 19-year-old Mbappe, the youngest player to score in a World Cup final, won the Raymond Kopa Trophy awarded to the best young player.
France Football magazine has been awarding the Ballon d'Or since 1956, and created a women's award for the first time this year.
Hegerberg is a three-time Women's Champions League winner with French side Lyon and scored a tournament-record 15 times last season.
"I want to say thanks to France Football. It's a huge step for women's football," Hegerberg said. "I want to end this speech with a message to all young girls in the world. Believe in yourselves."
The outspoken 23-year-old Hegerberg said she won't play for Norway at the Women's World Cup in France next June.
Taking a stand against what she describes as a lack of respect for female players in Norway, she hasn't played for the national team since 2017 when it crashed out of the group stage of the Women's European Championship without scoring a goal.
Speaking in an interview shortly before collecting her Ballon d'Or, Hegerberg told The Associated Press on Monday she has no plans to reconsider her decision taken to preserve her "authenticity and my values, as a person, as a footballer."
"A lot of things need to be done to make the conditions better for women who play football," she said. "It's all about how we respect women's football. I don't think the respect has been there.
"Sometimes you have to take tough decisions to stay true to yourself. I let them know, quite clearly, what I found wasn't working."
- Kim in Russia for Putin summit
- Tarique’s friend Mamun gets 7-year jail
- PM visits residence of late Hamida Khanam
- PM to visit Sheikh Selim’s residence
- Adulterated sweets, no one to see!
- Zayan’s body arrives in Dhaka
- Two Netrokona ‘Rajakars’ to die
- Earthquake rattles northeast India, Tibet
- Bitter squash in office’s flowerpots
- Rain likely in next 72 hours
- 18 detains in hunt over Sri Lanka bombings
- 2 dies after being pushed out from train
- Toll in Sri Lanka bombings rises to 359
- Verdict on 2 Netrokona ‘Rajakars’ today
- Six years of Rana Plaza Tragedy
- Emirates to face Kyrgyzstan today
- 54 feared dead in landslide at Myanmar jade mine
- Second session of 11th JS today
- Drug trader killed in Teknaf gunfight
- Zayan’s body to arrive Dhaka today
- India warned Sri Lanka 2 hours before Suicide Attacks
- Hijra, a creature of Allah: Noor
- Online reg required for St. Martin visit
- Biman to resume Dhaka-Delhi flight from May 13
- Kim, Putin to hold first talks in Russia
- PM returns home from Brunei
- Shakib returns for SRH, CSK to bowl
- BNP on extinction boycotting JS says Tofail
- ACC interrogates Jhenaidah MP Mannan
- Special attention on Rohingyas; says CEC
- All News »
- Nusrat murder: Last accused Kader arrested
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Probe team of police going to Sonagazi
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- 2 dead in road crash near Motsho Bhaban
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- Probe report against Nowshaba on May 28
- Journalist Zafar Wazed new PIB DG
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- PM returns home tomorrow
- Sudan`s Bashir moved to prison as protesters rally
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- New identity of Porimoni
- Shokh says ‘Goodbye’!
- Terrorist killed in Gazipur gunfight
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- Nusrat murder: Moni put on 5-day remand
- Adele separates from husband
- 4 killed in truck-auto rickshaw collision
- Nusrat murder: CID searching money grantor
- Case filed over Shahenur’s death