Mintoo, Alal, Sohel out of election race as part of strategy: BNP
Published: 05:47 PM, 29 November 2018 Updated: 05:47 PM, 29 November 2018
BNP senior leader Nazrul Islam Khan on Thursday claimed their party leaders Abdul Awal Mintoo, Syed Moazzem Hossain Alal and Habibun Nabi Khan Sohel are not there in the election race as part of their election strategy.
"Our chairperson Khaleda Zia used to visit every constituency for electioneering in favour of our candidates during previous elections. But she is now in jail, and our leader Tarique Rahman is staying outside the country. Now our party's many leaders' involvement has become necessary to do that job," he said.
Speaking at a press conference at BNP's Nayapaltan central office, Nazrul further said, "Rizvi and I myself didn't even seek nomination. Our party has decided that those of us who aren't there in the election race will help the candidates. So, our some competent leaders didn't file nomination papers because of election strategy."
Though the trio got nominations from their party, BNP vice-chairman Abdul Awal Mintoo and joint secretaries general Syed Moazzem Hossain Alal and Habibun Nabi Khan Sohel -- refrained from filing nomination papers to contest the election.
Nazrul, a BNP standing committee member, alleged that their party candidates and their supporters were harassed and obstructed by the ruling party men at different parts of the country during their submission of nomination papers.
"Our leaders from the top to bottom are being implicated in different cases and arrested. Some of our leaders remained missing. These activities are barriers to holding a credible election," he said.
The BNP leader said the government has got crazy and it is indulging in foul games as BNP and its alliance partners joined the election. "But the Election Commission is playing a silent role."
He alleged that the Commission's statements and the ruling party's remarks are similar as it has been working as an auxiliary force of the government instead of exerting its constitutional power. "If it continues, holding a fair and credible election won't be possible."
Nazrul urged the EC to take steps to stop the arrest and harassment of their party leaders and activists and take action against those involved in such activities.
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- Lightning kills 9 in 4 districts
- `Action against who discourage Rohingya `
- August 15 and 21 are in same knot
- First successful Air-raid in history
- Kashmir: Bone of contention between India-Pakistan
- Israel detains 16 Palestinians in West Bank raids
- Golden fibre makes farmer smile
- Govt to recruit 61 thousand primary teacher
- 15 houses fined having Aedes larvae in city
- Mother’s fight to fulfill daughter’s wish
- 3-day ‘Tree Fair’ begins in Manirampur
- ‘Sonar Bangla should be established to pay homage to Bangabandhu’
- Soroj Mehedi becomes BD Chief executive to MEDCOM-2020
- Big profit in little invest
- PEC exam schedule published
- Commerce Minister sought Brazil’s help to rise export
- Soumitra Chatterjee discharged from hospital
- Israel seeks to beat PTSD with ‘ecstasy’ therapy
- Mechanized farming in Bishwanath
- Mosharraf Karim flew to Canada on birthday!
- Air-ticket on mobile app
- Rohingya refused to go back
- Hardware security keys for Two-Factor Authentication!
- 2,549 dengue patients return home after recovery in Khulna
- 3 mobile operators gave Tk 9k crore to google-Facebook
- PM urges to improve Biman’s passenger services
- Nurse murdered over ‘triangle extra-marital affair’
- Rangpur farmers happy with better jute price
- Bubly wants to work with another instead of Shakib
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Truck driver rescues girl from rape on moving bus
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- Sabbir invites PM to his wedding
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- Kona disclosed her marriage 3 months later!
- Immortal sayings of Bangabandhu
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- Nayan`s last SMS to Minni
- App launches to prevent dengue
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Jyoti’s new film in Kolkata
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- DU increases registration time for 52nd convocation
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- BCB seek clarity from Mashrafe Mortaza about ODI future
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- Pak-India war! 8 soldiers killed on LoC
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves