Mintoo, Alal, Sohel out of election race as part of strategy: BNP
Published: 05:47 PM, 29 November 2018 Updated: 05:47 PM, 29 November 2018
BNP senior leader Nazrul Islam Khan on Thursday claimed their party leaders Abdul Awal Mintoo, Syed Moazzem Hossain Alal and Habibun Nabi Khan Sohel are not there in the election race as part of their election strategy.
"Our chairperson Khaleda Zia used to visit every constituency for electioneering in favour of our candidates during previous elections. But she is now in jail, and our leader Tarique Rahman is staying outside the country. Now our party's many leaders' involvement has become necessary to do that job," he said.
Speaking at a press conference at BNP's Nayapaltan central office, Nazrul further said, "Rizvi and I myself didn't even seek nomination. Our party has decided that those of us who aren't there in the election race will help the candidates. So, our some competent leaders didn't file nomination papers because of election strategy."
Though the trio got nominations from their party, BNP vice-chairman Abdul Awal Mintoo and joint secretaries general Syed Moazzem Hossain Alal and Habibun Nabi Khan Sohel -- refrained from filing nomination papers to contest the election.
Nazrul, a BNP standing committee member, alleged that their party candidates and their supporters were harassed and obstructed by the ruling party men at different parts of the country during their submission of nomination papers.
"Our leaders from the top to bottom are being implicated in different cases and arrested. Some of our leaders remained missing. These activities are barriers to holding a credible election," he said.
The BNP leader said the government has got crazy and it is indulging in foul games as BNP and its alliance partners joined the election. "But the Election Commission is playing a silent role."
He alleged that the Commission's statements and the ruling party's remarks are similar as it has been working as an auxiliary force of the government instead of exerting its constitutional power. "If it continues, holding a fair and credible election won't be possible."
Nazrul urged the EC to take steps to stop the arrest and harassment of their party leaders and activists and take action against those involved in such activities.
- Ukraine`s new president Zelensky calls snap elections
- Flat wicket is good for Liton!
- Opposition could be stronger if Fakhrul would join JS: Quader
- JS body for buying paddy directly from farmers
- BCL dissidents suspend protest
- GM Quader meets Indian High Commissioner
- Moeen urges fans to not heckle Warner, Smith
- Ultrasound: The future of diabetes treatment?
- Everything will be done for farmer: Razzak
- South Korea to invest $6m in Mongla EPZ
- Condition of Khalid Hossain detrioates
- Adverse weather affects Litchi farming in Rangpur
- ‘No public transport run without tickets’
- Ex-husband files lawsuit against Mila
- Rhodes elated to see youngsters takes big stride
- Amir, Wahab named in Pakistan`s World Cup squad
- No traffic congestion in Sujanagar
- No contractual recruitment in edu institutions
- Tigers confidence in hands of expertise
- Life-Changing Lessons from the Quran (Part-2)
- HC seeks inquiry report on corruption at Rooppur plant
- Google restricts Huawei`s use of Android
- ‘Govt wants militancy free economic development’
- HC orders to monitor fruit markets
- Cabinet reshuffled to speed up work: Quader
- 20-points proposals from Jatri Kalyan for safe Eid journey
- Rumin Farhana gets BNP’s reserve seat nomination
- 32 dead in Tajikistan prison riot
- Five matches to be held at the Rose Bowl
- Results of 38th BCS written exam before Eid
- All News »
- Bangladesh easily chased down Ireland`s 292
- Magnitude 7.5 quake hits off Papua New Guinea
- Justice Salma Masud accused of changing court verdict
- People on Mars by 2033 or 2060
- Narayanganj’s Araihazar OC withdrawn
- Bringing flavor back to tomatoes
- Six killed as bus hits tree in Bagerhat
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- May agrees timetable to choose new UK PM
- Protik’s World Cup song ‘Banglar Damal Chelera’
- Poverty rate comes down
- BCL announced full-fledged committee
- Quader returns home this evening
- PM likely to visit 3 countries
- Eid advance bus ticket sale begins
- 3000 tubewells need to free from arsenic
- Quader to join his office today
- Thor actor Isaac Kappy commits suicide
- Two Rohingya human traffickers killed in gunfight
- HC bars use of phrase ‘fake freedom fighter’
- Secret of sensational Majed killings revealed
- Active bullock cart, crisis of day laborer
- World Telecommunication and Information Society Day today
- Man accused in 12 cases killed in gunfight
- Advanced train ticket sale begins May 22
- ‘AL not a political party only, organization also’
- President reaches London
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- Cabinet reshuffle: Murad moved to Info Ministry
- Magistrate`s car attacked in Ctg