Mintoo, Alal, Sohel out of election race as part of strategy: BNP
Published: 05:47 PM, 29 November 2018 Updated: 05:47 PM, 29 November 2018
BNP senior leader Nazrul Islam Khan on Thursday claimed their party leaders Abdul Awal Mintoo, Syed Moazzem Hossain Alal and Habibun Nabi Khan Sohel are not there in the election race as part of their election strategy.
"Our chairperson Khaleda Zia used to visit every constituency for electioneering in favour of our candidates during previous elections. But she is now in jail, and our leader Tarique Rahman is staying outside the country. Now our party's many leaders' involvement has become necessary to do that job," he said.
Speaking at a press conference at BNP's Nayapaltan central office, Nazrul further said, "Rizvi and I myself didn't even seek nomination. Our party has decided that those of us who aren't there in the election race will help the candidates. So, our some competent leaders didn't file nomination papers because of election strategy."
Though the trio got nominations from their party, BNP vice-chairman Abdul Awal Mintoo and joint secretaries general Syed Moazzem Hossain Alal and Habibun Nabi Khan Sohel -- refrained from filing nomination papers to contest the election.
Nazrul, a BNP standing committee member, alleged that their party candidates and their supporters were harassed and obstructed by the ruling party men at different parts of the country during their submission of nomination papers.
"Our leaders from the top to bottom are being implicated in different cases and arrested. Some of our leaders remained missing. These activities are barriers to holding a credible election," he said.
The BNP leader said the government has got crazy and it is indulging in foul games as BNP and its alliance partners joined the election. "But the Election Commission is playing a silent role."
He alleged that the Commission's statements and the ruling party's remarks are similar as it has been working as an auxiliary force of the government instead of exerting its constitutional power. "If it continues, holding a fair and credible election won't be possible."
Nazrul urged the EC to take steps to stop the arrest and harassment of their party leaders and activists and take action against those involved in such activities.
- BNP is a failed political party: Quader
- 2 held over ‘rape’ of girl in N’ganj
- Srijit was hot-headed before marriage: Raima
- Ishita sings with son
- 11 held with marijuana-cash in Bhairab
- Facebook to boost site safety with 1,000 more UK staff
- Tigers’ Pak T20 series rescheduled
- Newborn baby found wrapped in lungi
- No alternative to eating alone to lose weight!
- Coronavirus: Everything you need to know
- 2 Indian soldiers killed in Kashmir gunfight
- Three-way traffic collision kills 4 in Keraniganj
- Child drowned in Faridpur
- Homemade way to blacken hair
- National Science and Technology Week begins in Gopalganj
- Illegal establishments abolished in Singair
- 68,000 families to get disaster-resistant home in Mujib Year
- De Kock to lead SA ODI team
- Baby dies after drowning in Faridpur
- Debtor stabbed farmer for Tk 200
- Bride’s mother elopes with groom’s father
- U-19 WC: Junior Tigers reach quarterfinals
- 2 detained with Indian cows in Roumari border
- Locals block road in protest of eve-teasing in Sunamganj
- 5 members of ‘Malam Party’ arrested
- Mushy placed in T20 innings of the year
- Duke of Sussex to start new chapter in Canada
- 2 crushed under train in Joypurhat
- Bird fair at Jahangirnagar University Friday
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF in Panchagarh
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Ticket price of BPL final increased
- Youth killed in road crash after returning home 24 yrs later
- ‘All coaching centers to remain shut from Jan 25’
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Video of man hugging, kissing pride of lions goes viral
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- 32% work of Bangabandhu Novo Theatre in Rajshahi completed
- 28 institutes named after Bangabandhu and family members
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- Russell hero as Rajshahi through final
- Apu Biswas to rock two shows in India
- Secrets of 1,000-year-old ginkgo trees unlocked
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- Bangabandhu BPL trophy arrives
- DU expels 63 students for life
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Khulna faces Rajshahi in BPL final today
- Flight operations at HSIA still halted today
- 39 killed in intense fighting in Syria’s Idlib
- New complexity in primary teacher recruitment
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- 5,000 camels shot dead in Australia
- Bangladesh on right track to attain SDGs: PM
- Razakar Kaiser’s death penalty upheld
- Verdict in Myanmar genocide case Jan 23
- Lawmaker Abdul Mannan in ICU
- Bus-ambulance collision kills 2 in Rangpur