Mintoo, Alal, Sohel out of election race as part of strategy: BNP
Published: 05:47 PM, 29 November 2018 Updated: 05:47 PM, 29 November 2018
BNP senior leader Nazrul Islam Khan on Thursday claimed their party leaders Abdul Awal Mintoo, Syed Moazzem Hossain Alal and Habibun Nabi Khan Sohel are not there in the election race as part of their election strategy.
"Our chairperson Khaleda Zia used to visit every constituency for electioneering in favour of our candidates during previous elections. But she is now in jail, and our leader Tarique Rahman is staying outside the country. Now our party's many leaders' involvement has become necessary to do that job," he said.
Speaking at a press conference at BNP's Nayapaltan central office, Nazrul further said, "Rizvi and I myself didn't even seek nomination. Our party has decided that those of us who aren't there in the election race will help the candidates. So, our some competent leaders didn't file nomination papers because of election strategy."
Though the trio got nominations from their party, BNP vice-chairman Abdul Awal Mintoo and joint secretaries general Syed Moazzem Hossain Alal and Habibun Nabi Khan Sohel -- refrained from filing nomination papers to contest the election.
Nazrul, a BNP standing committee member, alleged that their party candidates and their supporters were harassed and obstructed by the ruling party men at different parts of the country during their submission of nomination papers.
"Our leaders from the top to bottom are being implicated in different cases and arrested. Some of our leaders remained missing. These activities are barriers to holding a credible election," he said.
The BNP leader said the government has got crazy and it is indulging in foul games as BNP and its alliance partners joined the election. "But the Election Commission is playing a silent role."
He alleged that the Commission's statements and the ruling party's remarks are similar as it has been working as an auxiliary force of the government instead of exerting its constitutional power. "If it continues, holding a fair and credible election won't be possible."
Nazrul urged the EC to take steps to stop the arrest and harassment of their party leaders and activists and take action against those involved in such activities.
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Marcelo lost his place due to bad display against Barca
- Reza directs CDA to gear up projects to improve services
- US Treasury Sec Mnuchin calls China trade talks `productive`
- Spanish PM calls snap polls after budget defeat
- PM leaves for Abu Dhabi tonight
- Swiss actor Bruno Ganz, who played Hitler, dies at 77
- `Acquire knowledge on literature`
- CTTC arrested two JMB men
- BCC receives two int’l awards
- Surplus potato will be exported: Tipu
- Surplus potato will be exported: Tipu
- Heroic Perera ton helps Sri Lanka to thrilling victory
- `Runa Laila` with new song
- Bus-autorickshaw clash kills 3 in Sylhet
- Diet drinks increase stroke risk
- DMP chief alert police against injustice
- SERG Zahurul Haque’s death anniversary observed
- All 49 reserved seats elected uncontested
- ‘Shahidullah Kaiser’ recall
- Sadhan urges officials to brighten up govt image
- One held over Lalmonirhat gang rape
- Farmers` profit in mustard
- Are Carbs good or bad?
- Samsung to launch US retail stores in smartphone push
- Hasan inducted `Bangladesh Film Festival` in Calcutta
- Zulfikar Ali will survive if he got your help
- Al Mahmud’s namaz-e-janaza held at Baitul Mukarram
- Maduro blasts US for ‘stealing’
- Pakistan backs group behind suicide bomb: Iran
- All News »
- ‘Work with history of country’s Language Movement’
- Trinamool Lawmaker shot dead in West Bengal
- WB to cooperate with Bangladesh: Qimiao Fan
- Spain teeters on brink of snap election
- Bangladesh, Indian Air Forces can work together: PM
- Net house potato farming gains ground in Rajshahi
- Which channel broadcast BAN vs NZ series
- Biswa Ijtema begins tomorrow
- Elderly couple among 3 killed in Munshiganj road crash
- Haunting beauty of ghost towns
- “AL not embarrassed of BNP’s case against polls”
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Mashrafe confident of BD`s chances despite Shakib`s absence
- 28 including drug traders held in Dinajpur
- Illusions about losing weight
- PM visits LGRD ministry
- Israel shoots dead two Palestinian teenagers
- College student killed in Madarganj road crash
- Pahela Falgun being celebrated
- Two drug traders held with phensedyl
- Speech-impaired college-girl raped, man held
- Seven yrs of Sagar-Runi murder
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- 3 motorcyclists killed in Gazipur road crash
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- 5 mayor aspirants get symbols
- Al Mahmud admitted to ICU
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Emergency declared in Russia over polar bear ‘invasion’