Mintoo, Alal, Sohel out of election race as part of strategy: BNP
Published: 05:47 PM, 29 November 2018 Updated: 05:47 PM, 29 November 2018
BNP senior leader Nazrul Islam Khan on Thursday claimed their party leaders Abdul Awal Mintoo, Syed Moazzem Hossain Alal and Habibun Nabi Khan Sohel are not there in the election race as part of their election strategy.
"Our chairperson Khaleda Zia used to visit every constituency for electioneering in favour of our candidates during previous elections. But she is now in jail, and our leader Tarique Rahman is staying outside the country. Now our party's many leaders' involvement has become necessary to do that job," he said.
Speaking at a press conference at BNP's Nayapaltan central office, Nazrul further said, "Rizvi and I myself didn't even seek nomination. Our party has decided that those of us who aren't there in the election race will help the candidates. So, our some competent leaders didn't file nomination papers because of election strategy."
Though the trio got nominations from their party, BNP vice-chairman Abdul Awal Mintoo and joint secretaries general Syed Moazzem Hossain Alal and Habibun Nabi Khan Sohel -- refrained from filing nomination papers to contest the election.
Nazrul, a BNP standing committee member, alleged that their party candidates and their supporters were harassed and obstructed by the ruling party men at different parts of the country during their submission of nomination papers.
"Our leaders from the top to bottom are being implicated in different cases and arrested. Some of our leaders remained missing. These activities are barriers to holding a credible election," he said.
The BNP leader said the government has got crazy and it is indulging in foul games as BNP and its alliance partners joined the election. "But the Election Commission is playing a silent role."
He alleged that the Commission's statements and the ruling party's remarks are similar as it has been working as an auxiliary force of the government instead of exerting its constitutional power. "If it continues, holding a fair and credible election won't be possible."
Nazrul urged the EC to take steps to stop the arrest and harassment of their party leaders and activists and take action against those involved in such activities.
- Catastrophic` breeding failure in emperor penguin colonies
- NASA`s InSight detects first likely `quake` on Mars
- 14-party to hold anti-drug rally tmrw
- Salman Khan accused of snatching mobile phone
- Two more countries in ICC ODI status
- Rana Plaza Volunteer dies after ‘setting himself on fire’
- Housewife ‘raped’ in Panchagarh
- Khulna reach final eliminating Chattogram
- BTRC to deactivate extra SIMs from early Friday
- Pakistan U-16 cricket team coming on Friday
- 35 govt job entry age rejected in JS
- Dhaka contributes $15,000 for OPCW ChemTech Center
- Govt trying to export food abroad
- 19th founding anniv of community clinic tmrw
- Bhutanese PM phones Sheikh Hasina
- World Intellectual Property Day tomorrow
- More Sub-cmte for Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- ‘Humayun Ahmed was a fan of his story’
- Nusrat murder: Shamim on 3-day remand
- Farm equipment subsidies will be extended: Ag Minister
- Nusrat murder: Ruhul Amin sent to jail
- BNP calls Zahidur a `mass enemy`
- Stop antibiotic sale without prescription: HC to govt
- BRAC University student killed in Dhaka road crash
- 76 bridges changes daily life
- Uncle-nephew possessed the school
- Nissan ex-boss Ghosn granted $4.5m bail
- Joe Biden launches 2020 presidential bid
- HC seeks report on mobile tower radiation
- Spicy raw mango juice in summer
- All News »
- ‘Bonolota Express’ to launch tomorrow
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- 2 dead in road crash near Motsho Bhaban
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Transport strike underway on various highways
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- PM visits residence of late Hamida Khanam
- Actor Saleh Ahmed dies at 83
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- PM returns home tomorrow
- New identity of Porimoni
- Shokh says ‘Goodbye’!
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- Terrorist killed in Gazipur gunfight
- Adele separates from husband
- Speak against militancy in Khutba: PM to Imams
- 4 killed in truck-auto rickshaw collision
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- UN top officials urged to pursue Myanmar for safe zone
- Shomi Kaiser faces criticism for her behavior
- Case filed over Shahenur’s death
- Nusrat murder: CID searching money grantor