Migratory birds arriving to northern water bodies
Published: 02:59 PM, 5 January 2018 Updated: 04:12 PM, 7 January 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Thousands of migratory birds have started arriving to the riverine areas and water bodies in the northern region of the country from the Himalayan and Siberian regions.
Locals and officials said the number of arriving migratory birds is higher in Char Narayanpur, Jatrapur, Noonkhawa, Astomirchar, Noyarhat, Mohanganj, Begumganj, Hatia and Kodalkati areas in the northern river basins.
They also said, a good number of Bali Duck, `Samukal`, Bright, Rose King, Bali Lenja, `Sorail`, `Boikal`, `Nilshir`, `Piyang`, `Pankouri`, `Rangamuri`, Pintail, `Pantamukhi`, `Chokha-chokhi` and `Khonjona` are now flocking to the northern region.
The number of migratory birds especially on the Brahmaputra riverbank in Kurigram is little higher this winter compared to the previous years. However, the migratory birds are not uncountable like 20 to 30 years back due to reduction of water bodies, said Shawkat Ali Sarker, Bir Bikram, Chairman of Chilmari upazila.
Mamunur Rashid, Agriculture and Environment Coordinator of RDRS Bangladesh, said birds coming here due to the falling temperature in the Himalayan, Siberian, Nepal, Xinxian and Mongolian regions during the winters.
Khandker Mesbahul Islam, Horticulture Specialist of the Department of Agriculture Extension, said the migratory birds usually consume here small fishes, insects, small snails and watery plants.
Officials, experts and commoners said, a limited numbers of the birds are flocking now and numbers will increase as the temperature dips in the Siberian regions in the coming weeks.
They also expressed concern as poachers have already started catching and selling migratory birds at many places and asked for strict application of prevailing laws to stop such acts.
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- Lightning kills 9 in 4 districts
- `Action against who discourage Rohingya `
- August 15 and 21 are in same knot
- First successful Air-raid in history
- Kashmir: Bone of contention between India-Pakistan
- Israel detains 16 Palestinians in West Bank raids
- Golden fibre makes farmer smile
- Govt to recruit 61 thousand primary teacher
- 15 houses fined having Aedes larvae in city
- Mother’s fight to fulfill daughter’s wish
- 3-day ‘Tree Fair’ begins in Manirampur
- ‘Sonar Bangla should be established to pay homage to Bangabandhu’
- Soroj Mehedi becomes BD Chief executive to MEDCOM-2020
- Big profit in little invest
- PEC exam schedule published
- Commerce Minister sought Brazil’s help to rise export
- Soumitra Chatterjee discharged from hospital
- Israel seeks to beat PTSD with ‘ecstasy’ therapy
- Mechanized farming in Bishwanath
- Mosharraf Karim flew to Canada on birthday!
- Air-ticket on mobile app
- Rohingya refused to go back
- Hardware security keys for Two-Factor Authentication!
- 2,549 dengue patients return home after recovery in Khulna
- 3 mobile operators gave Tk 9k crore to google-Facebook
- PM urges to improve Biman’s passenger services
- Nurse murdered over ‘triangle extra-marital affair’
- Rangpur farmers happy with better jute price
- Bubly wants to work with another instead of Shakib
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Truck driver rescues girl from rape on moving bus
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- Sabbir invites PM to his wedding
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- Kona disclosed her marriage 3 months later!
- Immortal sayings of Bangabandhu
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- Nayan`s last SMS to Minni
- App launches to prevent dengue
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Jyoti’s new film in Kolkata
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- DU increases registration time for 52nd convocation
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- BCB seek clarity from Mashrafe Mortaza about ODI future
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- Pak-India war! 8 soldiers killed on LoC
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves