Migratory birds arriving to northern water bodies
Published: 02:59 PM, 5 January 2018 Updated: 04:12 PM, 7 January 2018
Thousands of migratory birds have started arriving to the riverine areas and water bodies in the northern region of the country from the Himalayan and Siberian regions.
Locals and officials said the number of arriving migratory birds is higher in Char Narayanpur, Jatrapur, Noonkhawa, Astomirchar, Noyarhat, Mohanganj, Begumganj, Hatia and Kodalkati areas in the northern river basins.
They also said, a good number of Bali Duck, `Samukal`, Bright, Rose King, Bali Lenja, `Sorail`, `Boikal`, `Nilshir`, `Piyang`, `Pankouri`, `Rangamuri`, Pintail, `Pantamukhi`, `Chokha-chokhi` and `Khonjona` are now flocking to the northern region.
The number of migratory birds especially on the Brahmaputra riverbank in Kurigram is little higher this winter compared to the previous years. However, the migratory birds are not uncountable like 20 to 30 years back due to reduction of water bodies, said Shawkat Ali Sarker, Bir Bikram, Chairman of Chilmari upazila.
Mamunur Rashid, Agriculture and Environment Coordinator of RDRS Bangladesh, said birds coming here due to the falling temperature in the Himalayan, Siberian, Nepal, Xinxian and Mongolian regions during the winters.
Khandker Mesbahul Islam, Horticulture Specialist of the Department of Agriculture Extension, said the migratory birds usually consume here small fishes, insects, small snails and watery plants.
Officials, experts and commoners said, a limited numbers of the birds are flocking now and numbers will increase as the temperature dips in the Siberian regions in the coming weeks.
They also expressed concern as poachers have already started catching and selling migratory birds at many places and asked for strict application of prevailing laws to stop such acts.
- Merkel visits Auschwitz for first time
- No change in post of AL president in next council: Quader
- Mithila-Srijit’s honeymoon to Switzerland
- Rebels kill 17 in eastern Congo
- Shakhawat, Rokeya win silver in SAG weightlifting
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- Myanmar Navy handed over 17 Bangladeshi fishermen
- Saudi Aramco raises $25.6 billion in biggest-ever IPO
- Cosmos Dialogue on Bangladesh-Canada trade tomorrow
- Gas supply to stay shut in Farmgate, Shukrabad tomorrow
- Radish’s ‘Jafrani kabab’
- Minister laid Press Club building foundation stone in Kaliakair
- ‘No one will be exempted involving corruption’
- Bogura Zilla Awami League council tomorrow
- BNP’s behaviour in court unpardonable: Quader
- RAB detained 3 members of snatcher cycle
- Bangladeshi archers shine on opening day
- Modi, Pranab, Sonia to join Bangabandhu`s birth centenary
- Agriculture Minister inaugurates ‘Krisoker Bazar’
- Three TV channels to broadcast BPL opening ceremony live
- Pancake without eggs!
- Language movement-liberation war’s colorful paintings on wall
- Child body recover from pond
- Giant ‘Tiger Shark’ caught in Chattogram
- ACC detained 2 civil aviation officials
- Pele’s last Brazil jersey sells for 30,000 euros in Italy
- 23 kidnapped from Mexican rehab clinic
- Bangladesh to honour 380 Indian soldiers: FM
- New South Wales bushfires condition worsen
- Hemayet 5th World Carrom rankings
- All News »
- ‘Bangla’ recognized as 2nd official language in London
- Mohammed Rezwan, floating school innovator named as ‘Earth Hero’
- Physician couple in Dr Baker’s place, serving poor people
- VP Nur’s phone talks leaked
- ‘No Dorai’ released at 8 halls
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- Get about newly elected Metropolitan AL leaders
- Trump makes surprise visit to Afghanistan
- 2 Jabale Nur drivers among 3 get life-term
- PM opens AL’s Dhaka City units council
- Messi bags Ballon d’Or for record sixth time
- 7 dead in small plane crash in Canada
- Adequate vegetables in market, onion prices still not fall
- ‘Bangabandhu Express’ to run from victory day
- Shaon in bridal dress!
- BD scientist photo likely in UK currency soon
- UN chief says humanity’s ‘war against nature’ must stop
- Video app TikTok unblocks teen who posted on China`s Muslims
- Sunny Leone’s ‘Hello G’
- Siam’s new look in ‘Ittefaq’
- Bridge attacker jailed for terror crimes: UK police
- Truck loaded with 40-ton onion missing
- PM flies to Spain on Sunday to join COP25
- ‘Daughter in admissions scandal’ Olivia returns to YouTube
- Kushtia double murder case: 4 to die, 7 get life term
- ‘Hotath Bristi’ actress June Malia gets married
- COP25 island nation in `fight to death`
- Shakib elected Player of the Year even after ban
- Euro-2020: Match schedule
- Flower blooms with Azan