Michelle Obama on book tour encourages girls at London school
Published: 07:05 PM, 4 December 2018 Updated: 07:05 PM, 4 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Michelle Obama on Monday returned to a London school she had visited as US first lady encouraging students to “practice sisterhood” as she presented a new memoir of her life.
Obama is in the British capital to promote her hotly anticipated book, “Becoming”, which has already sold more copies than any other book published in the United States this year.
She told some 300 students — mostly girls aged between 11 and 18 — at a north London school that her past visit there as first lady in 2009 had inspired her to work for better education.
“I was moved, touched and inspired as I always am by young people I meet around the world,” said the 54-year-old mother of two and first African American first lady.
“You reminded me of me, all the fears, the challenges you face. You guys gave me a sense of comfort.”
Obama confessed to facing numerous hurdles and confronting teachers who “underestimated me at every step”.
“I was told: ‘I don’t think you are Princeton material’. My dreams were too high.”
But Obama graduated from the select Ivy League university and went on to Harvard Law School before joining a Chicago law firm where she met her future husband and president Barack Obama.
She urged the London students to find strength in each other as they overcome their own doubters and naysayers.
“Practice that kind of sisterhood,” Michelle Obama said. “There are enough obstacles around.”
The students seemed amazed that such a famous speaker came to their school.
“It did not really sink in that it was her,” 11-year-old Emma said.
Michelle Obama has however cancelled book tour stops in Paris and Berlin to attend the funeral of former US president George H.W. Bush, who died Friday aged 94.
Later at the capital’s Southbank Centre, where she discussed her book with author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, she was asked what message she wanted to give to young black women.
“What happens to black women, you become a caricature … the size of her hips, her style… We are demonised,” she said.
“We are angry, too loud, too everything. My advice: start by getting those demons out of your head and tell yourself ‘I’m good enough’.”
- Catastrophic` breeding failure in emperor penguin colonies
- NASA`s InSight detects first likely `quake` on Mars
- 14-party to hold anti-drug rally tmrw
- Salman Khan accused of snatching mobile phone
- Two more countries in ICC ODI status
- Rana Plaza Volunteer dies after ‘setting himself on fire’
- Housewife ‘raped’ in Panchagarh
- Khulna reach final eliminating Chattogram
- BTRC to deactivate extra SIMs from early Friday
- Pakistan U-16 cricket team coming on Friday
- 35 govt job entry age rejected in JS
- Dhaka contributes $15,000 for OPCW ChemTech Center
- Govt trying to export food abroad
- 19th founding anniv of community clinic tmrw
- Bhutanese PM phones Sheikh Hasina
- World Intellectual Property Day tomorrow
- More Sub-cmte for Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- ‘Humayun Ahmed was a fan of his story’
- Nusrat murder: Shamim on 3-day remand
- Farm equipment subsidies will be extended: Ag Minister
- Nusrat murder: Ruhul Amin sent to jail
- BNP calls Zahidur a `mass enemy`
- Stop antibiotic sale without prescription: HC to govt
- BRAC University student killed in Dhaka road crash
- 76 bridges changes daily life
- Uncle-nephew possessed the school
- Nissan ex-boss Ghosn granted $4.5m bail
- Joe Biden launches 2020 presidential bid
- HC seeks report on mobile tower radiation
- Spicy raw mango juice in summer
- All News »
- ‘Bonolota Express’ to launch tomorrow
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- 2 dead in road crash near Motsho Bhaban
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Transport strike underway on various highways
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- PM visits residence of late Hamida Khanam
- Actor Saleh Ahmed dies at 83
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- PM returns home tomorrow
- New identity of Porimoni
- Shokh says ‘Goodbye’!
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- Terrorist killed in Gazipur gunfight
- Adele separates from husband
- Speak against militancy in Khutba: PM to Imams
- 4 killed in truck-auto rickshaw collision
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- UN top officials urged to pursue Myanmar for safe zone
- Shomi Kaiser faces criticism for her behavior
- Case filed over Shahenur’s death
- Nusrat murder: CID searching money grantor