Miami building collapse: Death toll climbs to 9; 150 missing
Published: 01:48 PM, 28 June 2021
The death toll from a 12-storey building collapsed in Miami, Florida state has risen to 9. So far, 150 people are still missing. They are trapped under the rubble of the building, told Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava reporters on Sunday.
“We hope all those trapped inside the rubble are not dead yet,” said Daniella Cava. “Our main goal is to rescue them.”
Half of the 12-story residential building, called Champlain Tower, collapsed in the Surfside area of northern Miami around 1 a.m. Wednesday. Most of the residents of the building were asleep at the time.
The building, built in 1980, had 130 units. Due to the building collapse, half of the 130 units, i.e., 65 units were destroyed.
Surfside Mayor Charles Barkett told a press conference Friday morning that at the back of the building, one-third or more had been completely destroyed.
While it is not yet clear exactly what caused the building to collapse on Miami’s beachfront, U.S. construction officials said residents “had been warned in advance” about the precarious condition of the Champlain Tower.
A report on this tower in 2018 has recently come to light. It said there was a “major flaw” in the building’s drainage system.
The report, by Frank Morabito, the building’s construction consultant engineer, said there were problems with the drainage system. The report further states that the original contract paper referred to this procedural issue, which is seen as the beginning of the whole incident.