Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
Published: 10:52 PM, 19 May 2019
Lionel Messi scored two goals in two minutes but champions Barcelona had to settle for a draw against an impressive Eibar side in the final La Liga match of the season.
Marc Cucurella, on loan from Barcelona, grabbed the home side's opener when his low shot beat Jasper Cillessen.
Messi fired in the equaliser from a tight angle before he clipped his second past Marco Dmitrovic.
Pablo de Blasis equalised just before the break with a superb 20-yard strike.
The Argentine was as impressive as his compatriot Messi in an entertaining conclusion to the 2018-19 campaign.
Aside from the two goals, Barcelona rarely troubled Eibar's keeper, although Messi should have tested the Serb with a late effort from 15 yards that sailed over the bar.
Dutchman Cillessen had a busier time at the other end and did well to block shots from Charles and Sergi Enrich.
Cucurella also had a golden opportunity to score his second late in the game, but he blazed over from only six yards out.
Barcelona - who finished on 87 points, 11 more than second-placed Atletico Madrid - will now prepare for next Saturday's Copa del Rey final against Valencia in Seville.
- 50th World Standards Day today
- Plane hits birds, makes emergency landing at Shahjalal
- Attacks on Cops: 2 Neo JMB men held
- 10 killed in India gas cylinder blast
- BUET admission test underway
- Sourav Ganguly set to be president of BCCI
- Voting in 8 Upazilas underway
- Portugal, France, England to play tonight
- Woman given ‘Talaq’ for alcohol, short dress!
- Muhammad (PBUH) urges people for marriage
- Woman gives birth to 5 babies simultaneously!
- US Gymnast Simone breaks World Championships medals record
- FB researchers using Maths for better translations
- Golakata Mosque: Where tenants were beheaded
- Neymar gets injured again as Brazil draw with Nigeria
- Ecuador protest talks set for Sunday as capital locks down
- Minister warns boosting surveillance in every edu inst
- IU admission tests schedule published
- CUET admission test held
- India set new record with test series over Proteas
- Quader opposes ban on student politics
- Kamal askes ADB help on Rohingya issue
- 4,000 cases filed over traffic irregularities
- GM accused in 54 cases arrested
- Ministry declares 22 days coaching shut
- 28 arrested in anti-drug drive
- ‘Banking sector needs urgent reformation’
- Bangladesh U-19 seal series 4-1
- Two buses race claim pedestrian life
- Delicious ‘Quail roast in coconut milk’
- All News »
- Unseen ‘Miss World Bangladesh’ Rafah
- Abrar murder: First confession by Ifti
- Unrest in BUET over Abrar murder
- Abrar murder: BUET students place 8-point demand
- Zion gives 2nd confessional statement in Abrar murder case
- One held over Buet student Abrar murder
- Abrar murder: 9 BCL men held, case filed against 19
- Abrar laid to rest
- Abrar’s roommate Mizan held
- Execrable ‘Hope Diamond’
- The king who rose from the dead
- Abrar murder: Amit, Toha on 5-day remand
- Abrar murder: 10 accused remanded for five days
- Abrar Murder: Amit Shaha of room-2011 held
- A tale of Titanic survivor Elsie Bowerman
- Buet students place fresh 10-point demand
- MBBS admission test today
- The female Pharaoh who ruled by wearing false beards
- BUET VC at campus in students protest
- Pakistan faces Sri Lanka in 2nd T20I today
- China`s first polar observation satellite supports polar research
- Serial killer Samuel murdered at least 50: FBI
- The lake that turns life to stone!
- Typhoon Hagibis: 11 killed in Japan
- Bangladesh face Qatar in FIFA WC Qualifying
- Swedish King removes grandchildren from royal house
- Lake of No Return: A trap of death
- Bluewater cannot enter Shah Bukhari’s shrine
- Buet’s Sher-e-Bangla Hall provost resigns
- S.Africa court rules Zuma must face corruption trial