Messi on target as Argentina beat Brazil
Published: 10:10 AM, 16 November 2019 Updated: 01:02 PM, 16 November 2019
Lionel Messi scored on his first Argentina appearance since July as they beat old rivals Brazil in Saudi Arabia on Friday.
Messi was returning from a three-month ban for saying the Copa America was "fixed for Brazil", with the hosts beating Argentina in the semi-final and Peru in the July final.
The Barcelona forward had a penalty saved by Alisson in the friendly but scored the rebound for his 69th international goal.
Brazil had earlier missed a penalty of their own by that point. Gabriel Jesus calmly rolled his spot-kick just wide after being brought down by Leandro Paredes minutes earlier.
There were no other goals in a sloppy first half, although Messi did force Alisson into another save with a low shot from distance just before half-time.
The second-half predictably saw a raft of substitutions. Arthur went off on 55 minutes and was replaced by Liverpool midfielder Fabinho.
Messi went close to grabbing his second with a free-kick on 66 minutes. The GOAT curled an effort over the ball but saw Alisson just manage to tip it over the crossbar.
The Liverpool goalkeeper also had to be alert to push a shot from Paredes over the bar after good work from Germán Pezzella, while Lautaro Martinez fired a good chance over shortly afterwards.
Brazil had a chance to grab a late equaliser in stoppage time when Rodrygo crossed for Wesley, but he was let down by a poor first touch as Argentina secured the win.
Argentina now goes on to face Uruguay in Tel Aviv on Monday, but the game could be cancelled due to fighting in Israel. Meanwhile, Brazil play South Korea in Abu Dhabi on Tuesday, their last game before the 2022 World Cup qualifiers begin in March.
Brazil have failed to win in the five games since winning the Copa America.
- Merkel visits Auschwitz for first time
- No change in post of AL president in next council: Quader
- Mithila-Srijit’s honeymoon to Switzerland
- Rebels kill 17 in eastern Congo
- Shakhawat, Rokeya win silver in SAG weightlifting
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- Myanmar Navy handed over 17 Bangladeshi fishermen
- Saudi Aramco raises $25.6 billion in biggest-ever IPO
- Cosmos Dialogue on Bangladesh-Canada trade tomorrow
- Gas supply to stay shut in Farmgate, Shukrabad tomorrow
- Radish’s ‘Jafrani kabab’
- Minister laid Press Club building foundation stone in Kaliakair
- ‘No one will be exempted involving corruption’
- Bogura Zilla Awami League council tomorrow
- BNP’s behaviour in court unpardonable: Quader
- RAB detained 3 members of snatcher cycle
- Bangladeshi archers shine on opening day
- Modi, Pranab, Sonia to join Bangabandhu`s birth centenary
- Agriculture Minister inaugurates ‘Krisoker Bazar’
- Three TV channels to broadcast BPL opening ceremony live
- Pancake without eggs!
- Language movement-liberation war’s colorful paintings on wall
- Child body recover from pond
- Giant ‘Tiger Shark’ caught in Chattogram
- ACC detained 2 civil aviation officials
- Pele’s last Brazil jersey sells for 30,000 euros in Italy
- 23 kidnapped from Mexican rehab clinic
- Bangladesh to honour 380 Indian soldiers: FM
- New South Wales bushfires condition worsen
- Hemayet 5th World Carrom rankings
- All News »
- ‘Bangla’ recognized as 2nd official language in London
- Mohammed Rezwan, floating school innovator named as ‘Earth Hero’
- Physician couple in Dr Baker’s place, serving poor people
- VP Nur’s phone talks leaked
- ‘No Dorai’ released at 8 halls
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- Get about newly elected Metropolitan AL leaders
- Trump makes surprise visit to Afghanistan
- 2 Jabale Nur drivers among 3 get life-term
- PM opens AL’s Dhaka City units council
- Messi bags Ballon d’Or for record sixth time
- 7 dead in small plane crash in Canada
- Adequate vegetables in market, onion prices still not fall
- ‘Bangabandhu Express’ to run from victory day
- Shaon in bridal dress!
- BD scientist photo likely in UK currency soon
- UN chief says humanity’s ‘war against nature’ must stop
- Video app TikTok unblocks teen who posted on China`s Muslims
- Sunny Leone’s ‘Hello G’
- Siam’s new look in ‘Ittefaq’
- Bridge attacker jailed for terror crimes: UK police
- Truck loaded with 40-ton onion missing
- PM flies to Spain on Sunday to join COP25
- ‘Daughter in admissions scandal’ Olivia returns to YouTube
- Kushtia double murder case: 4 to die, 7 get life term
- ‘Hotath Bristi’ actress June Malia gets married
- COP25 island nation in `fight to death`
- Shakib elected Player of the Year even after ban
- Euro-2020: Match schedule
- Flower blooms with Azan