Merkel visits Auschwitz for first time
Published: 11:02 PM, 6 December 2019
Germany’s Angela Merkel crossed the gates of the former Auschwitz Nazi death camp in Poland on Friday for the first time in her 14 years as chancellor, promising to battle a new wave of anti-Semitism.
Merkel is only the third chancellor ever to visit the Nazi German camp where a million Jews were killed between 1940 and 1945 and which has come to symbolise the Holocaust as a whole.
Her trip, which comes ahead of the 75th anniversary of the camp’s liberation by Soviet troops on January 27, is being seen as an important political message.
On the eve of her visit, 65-year-old Merkel said that “the fight against anti-Semitism and against all forms of hate” was a priority for her government.
She also hailed a new 60-million-euro ($66-million) donation for the Auschwitz-Birkenau Foundation that was approved by Germany’s federal states on Thursday.
Merkel began her visit by walking under the Nazi slogan “Arbeit macht frei” (Work will set you free) that still hangs over the gates of the camp.
She will also hold a minute’s silence by the Death Wall where thousands of prisoners were shot dead and visit the site of a gas chamber and a crematorium.
The visit “is a particularly important signal of attention and solidarity at a time when Auschwitz survivors are victims of anti-Semitic insults and hate-filled emails,” said Christoph Heubner, deputy chairman of the Auschwitz International Committee.
Merkel was accompanied during the visit by a survivor of the camp, 87-year-old Bogdan Stanislaw Bartnikowski, as well as Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki.
Josef Schuster, head of the Central Council of Jews in Germany, and Ronald Lauder, head of the World Jewish Congress, also took part in the visit.
In total, 1.1 million people were killed at Auschwitz-Birkenau, including non-Jewish Poles, Soviet prisoners of war, Roma and anti-Nazi fighters. Many were killed the same day they arrived at the camp.
- Four poppy fields destroyed in Bandarban
- Sportsman of the year Ruman Sana, Cricketer Shakib
- Continuity of government made Bangladesh’s uplift visible: PM
- Jr Tigers becomes ‘C’ group champion
- Volleyball tournament in Sherpur on Mujib Year
- Trump to sign US-Mexico-Canada trade deal
- China shut down 13 cities as virus toll climbs
- Thai Exim Bank, JBIC keen to invest Bangladesh sugar mills
- Main accused of Sabujbagh child-rape case arrested
- What Mahmudullah said after losing to Pakistan
- UK welcomes ICJ ruling, asks Myanmar to comply
- ‘Dwitiyo Purush’ expected to release in Bangladesh
- ‘Occupied playground will be restored’
- Technical education to be compulsory
- Woman dies wrapping warm-clothes with auto
- ICJ’s verdict important: Nasima Begum
- `Steps will be taken to increase onion production`
- Merchant killed in Bogura, 1 arrested
- Cricket tournament in Meherpur on Mujib Year
- Elderly Body found in Sylhet
- Mimi got stuck in oil ad
- USA crackdown visas for pregnant foreigners
- 3 drug dealers fined in Mujibnagar
- Man dies fallen from petrol pump roof in Ashulia
- Bangladesh starts Pakistan tour with loss
- BNP, the worst opposition party: Quader
- 5,000 students get scholarship of Jahangir Alam Foundation
- DU to host special convocation for Bangabandhu Sep 5
- Katrina, Vicky chill together
- Anti-US demonstration protest in Iraq
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- ICJ orders Myanmar to protect Rohingya, to preserve evidence
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- China virus deaths rise to 17, heightening global alarm
- Coronavirus: Everything you need to know
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Two siblings among 3 electrocuted in Hazaribagh
- Khulna faces Rajshahi in BPL final today
- Gabtoli turmoil after throwing eggs
- Bride’s mother elopes with groom’s father
- Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
- Lawmaker Abdul Mannan in ICU
- Bangladesh meet Burundi in semifinal today
- Top 5 batsmen in Bangabandhu BPL
- High levels of Uranium found in Cox’s Bazar
- Ronaldo makes accidental kiss to Dybala
- World court’s four orders against Myanmar
- 5 held with marijuana in Sirajganj
- E-passport to be launched today
- DMP’s letter to EC to keep close trade fair for 2 days
- ‘Law enforcers will work under EC directives’
- E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
- SSC-equivalent exam rescheduled
- Over 100 killed in Yemen missile, drone attack