Melania Trump obtained Einstein EB 1 Visa!
Published: 05:06 AM, 3 March 2018
According to a report in the Washington Post, Melania Trump obtained US citizenship on a visa reserved for immigrants with `extraordinary ability` and `sustained national and international acclaim`.
The visa is known as ` Einstein Visa`, the EB-1 is in theory reserved for people who are highly acclaimed in their field. For example, the government cites Pulitzer, Oscar, and Olympic winners as well as respected academic researchers and multinational executives.
According to the post, Mrs. Trump began applying for the visa in 2000, when she was Melania Knauss, a Slovenian model working in New York and dating Donald Trump. She was approved in 2001, one of just five people from Slovenia to win the coveted visa that year.
After becoming a citizen in 2006, her parents Viktor and Amalija Knavs, who are now in the US and in the process of applying for citizenship.
There is some criticism on how Mrs. Trump obtained her EB-1 visa will rankle with some, at a time when her husband is railing against immigrants and attempting to scrap the right of new citizens to sponsor family members.
According to her lawyer, Mrs. Trump came to the US in 1996, first on a tourist visa then later a string of working visas for skilled immigrants. She was working as a model in New York when she met Mr. Trump at a party in 1998, a relationship that considerably raised her celebrity profile.
A specialist US visa lawyer at the Gudeon and McFadden law firm in London, Susan McFadden said the government guidance for applicants cites Nobel prizes and international acclaim, but the reality is often more prosaic.
Susan also said you do not have to be a Nobel prize winner to get the extraordinary ability visa. I`ve gotten EB-1 visas for people you`ve never heard of and never will.
It is noted that to obtain an EB-1 for extraordinary ability, an immigrant has to provide evidence of a major award or meet three of 10 criteria proving excellence in their field.
The criteria include coverage of the applicant in major publications, original and significant contributions to a field and work displayed at artistic exhibitions.
Daily Bangladesh /Adnan
- JnU BCL committee dissolved
- BEXIMCO buys 8 US FDA products from Sandoz
- `People want continuation of Sheikh Hasina’s leadership`
- PM returns home tomorrow morning
- India reject Pakistan PM`s claims on Kashmir attack
- Masakadza retained as Zimbabwe captain
- Two major UAE firms keen to invest in Bangladesh
- Integrity is our driving force: Yeafesh Osman
- Man Utd knock Chelsea out of FA Cup
- Bernie Sanders runs for president again
- AL chalks out programmes to mark Int’l Mother Language Day
- HC summons editor of Bangladesh Bank’r Itihash
- Fashion designer Lagerfeld dead at 85
- Pakistan warns India against military action
- Injury-hit Bangladesh seek consolation win
- BNP chalks out 2-day programme to mark Feb 21
- Boro rice seedling transplantation nearing completion
- Drug trader hurt in Chatmohor gunfight
- India shouldn`t play Pakistan in World Cup: Harbhajan
- 7 burnt in Khagrachhari gas cylinder blast
- 69 including drug traders held in Satkhira
- Day temperature may rise by (1-2)°C
- Mystery of ‘Skeleton Lake’!
- Kuddus Boyati hospitalized
- Katrina reveals she wants a boyfriend!
- Biswa Ijtema ends through Akheri Munajat
- World cannot leave us, says Huawei’s founder
- Get ready for Super Snow Moon tonight!
- Google search shows Pakistan flag as ‘best toilet paper’
- 8th span of Padma Bridge to be installed tomorrow
- All News »
- ‘Work with history of country’s Language Movement’
- Spain teeters on brink of snap election
- Net house potato farming gains ground in Rajshahi
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Another spell of gas suspension in Capital Tuesday
- BCL factional clash hurt 45 in JnU
- Biswa Ijtema begins tomorrow
- “AL not embarrassed of BNP’s case against polls”
- Drug trader hurt in Chatmohor gunfight
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- 28 including drug traders held in Dinajpur
- Gas supply shutdown in Dhaka including Savar
- Pahela Falgun being celebrated
- Two drug traders held with phensedyl
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Hong Kong stocks open lower
- Samsung to launch US retail stores in smartphone push
- Prominent poet Al Mahmud dies
- Tomorrow’s SSC exam deferred to March 2
- Last tributes to poet Al Mahmud at Bangla Academy
- 1st phase of nomination withdrawal ends today
- Bangladesh set 233-run target for NZ
- Bangladesh faces New Zealand in 1st ODI today
- General Osmani’s 35th death anniversary today
- Sadhan urges officials to brighten up govt image
- Navy Chief in UAE arms exhibition
- Robber killed in Jashore gunfight