Mehidy looking for consistency as top-order batsman
Published: 08:08 PM, 29 December 2019
Mehidy Hasan Miraz
Bangladesh all-rounder Mehidy Hasan Miraz aims to be consistent as a top-order batsman, seizing the opportunity that his side Khulna Tigers gave him in the ongoing Bangabandhu Bangladesh Premier League (BBPL).
In the national team, Mehidy is considered as an off-spinner who is a handy batsman lower down the order. So he didn’t get much opportunity in the national team to play as a top-order batsman. But in the ongoing BBPL, Khulna used him as an opener as part of a team strategy that eventually works.
After failing to prolong the innings for a couple of time in this position, Mehidy finally blasted an unbeaten 87 off just 62 to help Khulna romp to an eight-wicket victory over Sylhet Thunder in the last match.
He now aims to keep that consistency to force his case stronger as a top-order batsman in the national team and become a genuine all-rounder like Shakib Al Hasan by doing so.
“If you see the last matches of Bangladesh, we played really well, especially in one-day matches. It is not possible to bat at any moment. Because the batsmen who are performing consistently, they are playing in top orders,” Mehidy said after his career-best T20 knock on Saturday.
“But I have not got the opportunity properly. I believe that, if I get the chance, I can use it properly. I had a chance to bat in the top order in Asia Cup and I scored 30-35 runs,” he added.
Mehidy said after getting the start against Sylhet Thunder, he planned to finish the game on his own and he eventually could do this, which made him confident further.
“It is really important to remain not out. I really liked that I have had such an opportunity after a lot of days. I scored 87 runs, especially in the tournament like BPL,” he said.
“This is definitely a big achievement for me. My confidence level has also increased. I used to believe that I am not able to bat. But today I got the confidence back. If I manage to continue, then I can bat well,” he revealed.
Mehidy added that he is more comfortable scoring runs in the power play than in the slog overs as his batting is based on timing than the power.
“When I bat in power-play, I always try to bat with good timing. And if you see in slog overs, the team cannot expect me to score 30 off 15 balls like a big hitter. I can’t do that. I don’t have that ability,” he remarked.
“I can score 20-25 runs from 15 balls. And that happens mostly when I bat in power-play. And if the gap is there, it becomes a boundary. Then I have more chances. So if I bat at the top order, I think I could be handier for the team,” he concluded.
- Father shots lightning bird, son takes responsibility to cure
- AL leader shot dead in Bandarban
- 2 drug traders held in Dinajpur
- Teenager electrocuted in Chakaria
- Top terrorist Zisan’s close aide Shakil held
- Worshiping Trump’s idol!
- FBCCI favor trade with China continues
- Naeem credits Taijul for his success
- ‘Very enthusiastic people aggravating coronavirus’
- Harsh condition of healthcare in Sarankhola
- Elderly man killed in Noakhali road accident
- Cristiano Ronaldo set to make 1,000th
- Shakib Khan’s new actress Salwa!
- Elderly man killed in tractor-nachimon collision
- Nirbhaya case convicts to be hanged on March 3
- Bangladesh emerges as self-dignified country under Sheikh Hasina
- Road reformed with kerosene spray!
- Daulatdia brothel gets namaz-e-janaza for third time
- Sammy to receive honorary citizenship of Pakistan
- Schoolgirl takes poison for lover’s weeding
- Sri Lanka win by 1 wicket in vacillate 1st ODI
- Ryanair boss criticized for Muslim profiling comments
- Maulana Mehmood Madani to visit Dhaka
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- Bangabandhu Book Corner for all primary schools
- Pension within 3-day of bill submission
- Man detained with large number yaba
- 9 hospitalized for drinking tea in Manikganj
- Govt decides to declare 2021 as Tourism Year
- Myanmar army plans trials for abuses on Rohingyas
- All News »
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Korea to provide scanners to diagnose coronavirus to Bangladesh
- Good news to honey farmers
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666
- Coronavirus: 10,844 discharged from hospital
- Srijit’s anger over Tahsan
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- CUET student Tahmid dies
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!
- 19 case accused killed in two groups’ gunfight
- Coronavirus infected more than 67,000 globally
- Death toll in China surges past 1,500
- Technical students to get more financial assistance: PM
- Ivanka Trump wears hijab for mosque visit
- Man City, Man United, Inter Milan to play today
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 2000
- Wuhan hospital chief dies of coronavirus
- Another Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in Singapore
- BUET avoids combined admission test
- Mother with dead daughter in VR show
- 14 children among 22 killed in Cameroon massacre
- Padma Bridge’s 25th span to be installed on Language Day
- Dhaka-10 by-polls; Those who are in talks