Mehidy, Mominul secure emphatic victory for Rajshahi
Published: 10:31 PM, 9 January 2019 Updated: 10:37 PM, 9 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Rajshahi Kings recorded their first win in the Bangladesh Premier League T20 as they beat Khulna Titans by seven-wicket held on Wednesday at Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium at Mirpur.
Chasing a mediocre target of 118 runs set by Khulna, Rajshahi Kings comfortably reached home in 18.5 overs with seven wickets in hand.
With this win, Rajshahi Kings opened their account with two points from two matches while Khulna Titans which suffered their third consecutive defeats in the tournament is yet to open their account playing three outings.
After the departure of opener Mohammad Hafeez early in the chase, dependable batsman Mominul Haque and skipper Mehidy Hasan steadied the innings to take Rajshahi closer to the victory with a solid 89-run for the second wicket stand.
The diminutive batsman Mominul scored 43-ball off 44 runs with the help of four boundaries before he fell to Paul Stirling while Mehedy, who scored maiden BPL fifty, played a well knock half century smashing 45-ball off 51 runs hitting six boundaries and one over the boundary.
Soumya Sarkar and Laurie Evans completed the mere formality to remain unbeaten till the end of the innings.
Paul Stirling, Zahir Khan and Taijul Islam all shared one Rajshahi’s wicket conceding 9, 18 and 22runs respectively.
Earlier, Sri Lankan recruits Isuru Udana’s disciplined bowling display saw Rajshai Kings restricted Khulna Titans in a small total of 117 for 9 from their allotted 20 overs after Khulna Titans won the toss and decided to bat first.
However, the two Rajshahi openers – Junaid Siddique (23) and Paul Stirling (16) gave Rajshahi a good start contributing 40 runs for the opening stand before Mustafizur Rahman broke the pair removing Paul.
Junaid also lasted a little giving a catch to Fazle Mahmud off Udana’s delivery after the departure of two openers Rajshahi suffered little wobble in the middle.
Dawid Malan (22), David Wiese (14) and Ariful Haque (12) got off a good start in the middle but could not convert those into a big knock in the face of tight bowling attacks by the Rajshahi Kings bowlers.
Isuru Udana was the most successful bowler for Rajshahi as he claimed three wickets conceding 15 runs. He was well supported by pacer Mustafizur Rahman who captured two wickets giving away 18 runs.
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- Man killed in Paltan road crash
- Levitating objects with light
- Movement of Suprobhat, Jabal-e-Noor buses suspended
- 300 ‘Su-Probhat’ buses on road; appro70 only
- Cucsu polls to be held soon
- 2 buses collision kills 3 in Sirajganj
- 2 burnt in Ctg gas line explosion
- No exam till class-III
- 4yrs minor girl raped by ‘uncle’
- Biz ldrs oppose Govt’s gas price hike plan
- US-Bangla starts Chennai flights from March 31
- Ershad’s 90th Birthday celebrated
- 1,221 recommended for cadre posts
- Indian investors interested to energy sec
- HC bans making film, drama on Jaha Alam
- BIWTA thrashes 185 illegal structures
- 9th span of Padma Bridge to be installed tomorrow
- Students call off movement till March 28
- India beat Bangladesh to raced into SAFF final
- Doctor jailed using own sperm fertilizing more than 50 women
- Farhad, Saif powers Doleshwar to easy victory
- Ducsu AGS with student movement
- Suprobhat Paribahan driver put on 7-day remand
- Ardern calls for global anti-racism fight
- Arrest warrant issued against Khaleda in another case
- Fake notes of Tk 8 lakh seized: 4 held
- Not full adults until 30s: Sci
- Super worm moon to rise tmrw
- 4 to die for killing sibling farmers in M’singh
- All News »
- Ex-JaPa leader Mohsen Rashid joins Gono Forum
- Dhaka-Kolkata Ship service starts March 29
- Maize production likely bumper in Rangpur
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Man held with shotgun at Dhaka airport
- Hidden meaning of writing on the rifle..
- BCB has no problem with Shakib`s IPL participation
- Man’s mobile phone protects him from ‘arrow attack’
- PM invites newly elected Ducsu leaders
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- 7 incl presiding officer shot dead in Rangamati
- Dutch-Bangla service to be closed for 5 days
- ‘Send cricket team to ensure security in future’
- Attack suspect Brenton Tarrant appears in court
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- Monali’s Dhaka concert postponed
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- National SME fair begins
- Drug trader killed in Meherpur gunfight
- 100th birthday of Bangabandhu celebrated
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- VP Noor urges Rokeya’s Provost to resign
- 12th death anniversary of Rana today
- Rain with gusty wind likely
- NZ mosque attack leaves 27 dead, Tigers scattered
- Tigers left New Zealand