Mayor Hanif’s 12th death anniversary tomorrow
Published: 08:28 PM, 27 November 2018 Updated: 08:28 PM, 27 November 2018
The 12th death anniversary of Mohammad Hanif, the first elected mayor of Dhaka City Corporation (DCC) and former president of Dhaka City unit of Awami League (AL), will be observed tomorrow.
Hanif, who suffered critical splinter injuries in the August 21, 2004 grenade attack, died at the city’s Apollo Hospital on November 28, 2006, at the age of 62.
President Md Abdul Hamid, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and Speaker of the Jatiya Sangsad (JS) Dr Shirin Sharmin Chaudhury issued separate messages marking the death anniversary.
In his message, the president said Mohammad Hanif was an honest and sincere politician. No lure could deviate him from his ideology, Hamid added.
In her message, the Prime Minister said Mohammad Hanif will remain alive in the minds of the countrymen as a dedicated, sacrificing, tested and patriotic leader.
The President and the Prime Minister prayed for eternal peace of the departed soul of Mayor Hanif.
Dhaka South City Corporation (DSCC), Dhaka City AL, Mayor Mohammad Hanif Memorial Foundation, Mayor Mohammad Hanif Smriti Sangsad, associate bodies of the ruling AL and different socio-cultural organisations have chalked out elaborate programmes to observe Hanif’s death anniversary.
The programmes include offering ziyarah and holding doa mahfil at his grave at Azimpur Graveyard in the capital and organizing a photo exhibition, memorial meetings and two-week long free health camp.
DSCC will hold a discussion highlighting the life and works of Hanif at Nagar Bhaban at 12 pm tomorrow. Awami League will organize a memorial discussion at 4 pm at its central office in the city’s Bangabandhu Avenue while Dhaka South unit of AL will hold a milad and doa mahfil at its temporary office there after Asr prayers.
Hanif, a close aide to Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, was an elected parliament member from Dhaka-12 constituency in 1973 and also served as a whip of the national parliament. He contributed to every democratic movement such as 1969 Mass Upsurge.
He was born on April 1 in 1944 in a noble Muslim family of Dhaka. He got involved in the politics of Chhatra League and then Awami League and became personal secretary of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman in 1965. He was made president of Dhaka City Awami League in 1976.
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- Marium, a lovely animal dies after eating plastic
- New Indonesian capital to be in Jungle?
- How to cook meat faster
- Tourists unhappy over Teknaf`s odor-pollution
- Fatima: The Wonder Lady!
- Rail links with Khulna snapped
- Maududist modern era devil: Agriculture Minister
- ‘Blood Bank of Kaliganj’ saved thousand lives
- ‘Mayaboti’ release date scheduled
- Dressing room rift misinterpreted in media: Mahmudullah
- Humayun for all-side interest on rawhide issue
- Tannery owners to buy rawhide form tomorrow
- JKS for transport workers’ fixed work hrs rein road accident
- How long should Kashmiris wait for peace?
- JnU’s Olympiad winner dies
- Day laborer Dalip Singh became ‘Great Khali’
- Shirin Sharmin to join South Asian Speakers’ Summit
- 1 day after buying bike, youth killed in accident
- Happy birthday Mia Bhai
- Serious health risk in handling taka: research reveals
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- Cumilla road crash: 6 of a family among deceased
- Jumps from boat get a divorce!
- DMP files 4,780 cases over traffic violations
- Tk 120 cr allotted for flood recovery
- Writ seeking HC order to find out culprits in rawhide fall
- Man killed in Dhaka road crash
- How to advance in career when your boss won’t help
- Action against bribe payer too: PM
- All News »
- Truck driver rescues girl from rape on moving bus
- National Mourning Day Thursday
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Priyanka anxious over Nick’s diabetes!
- Karchi flood: Death toll rises to 11
- Immortal sayings of Bangabandhu
- Holly Eid-ul-Azha tomorrow
- Jacqueline stuns in yellow during birthday trip in Sri Lanka
- Kona disclosed her marriage 3 months later!
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- 60pc animal waste of Capital disposed
- PM visits conjoined twins Rabeya, Rukaya at CMH
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Removal of animal wastes almost completed: DSCC Mayor
- Nayan`s last SMS to Minni
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- Keep environment clean to prevent dengue: President
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- No foreign prog broadcast without permission
- Pak-India war! 8 soldiers killed on LoC
- Last Hajj ritual heralds Eid Al-Azha
- Tailback, heat forced passengers becomes ill
- 63 Bangladeshi Hajj pilgrims died in Saudi Arabia
- 2 gang rape accused killed in gunfight
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- Flood victims to get 24,000 houses
- `Our prayer for abolition of evil power`
- 8 births recorded during Hajj 2019
- Huge crowd at terminals
- BCB seek clarity from Mashrafe Mortaza about ODI future