Mayor Hanif’s 12th death anniversary tomorrow
Published: 08:28 PM, 27 November 2018 Updated: 08:28 PM, 27 November 2018
The 12th death anniversary of Mohammad Hanif, the first elected mayor of Dhaka City Corporation (DCC) and former president of Dhaka City unit of Awami League (AL), will be observed tomorrow.
Hanif, who suffered critical splinter injuries in the August 21, 2004 grenade attack, died at the city’s Apollo Hospital on November 28, 2006, at the age of 62.
President Md Abdul Hamid, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and Speaker of the Jatiya Sangsad (JS) Dr Shirin Sharmin Chaudhury issued separate messages marking the death anniversary.
In his message, the president said Mohammad Hanif was an honest and sincere politician. No lure could deviate him from his ideology, Hamid added.
In her message, the Prime Minister said Mohammad Hanif will remain alive in the minds of the countrymen as a dedicated, sacrificing, tested and patriotic leader.
The President and the Prime Minister prayed for eternal peace of the departed soul of Mayor Hanif.
Dhaka South City Corporation (DSCC), Dhaka City AL, Mayor Mohammad Hanif Memorial Foundation, Mayor Mohammad Hanif Smriti Sangsad, associate bodies of the ruling AL and different socio-cultural organisations have chalked out elaborate programmes to observe Hanif’s death anniversary.
The programmes include offering ziyarah and holding doa mahfil at his grave at Azimpur Graveyard in the capital and organizing a photo exhibition, memorial meetings and two-week long free health camp.
DSCC will hold a discussion highlighting the life and works of Hanif at Nagar Bhaban at 12 pm tomorrow. Awami League will organize a memorial discussion at 4 pm at its central office in the city’s Bangabandhu Avenue while Dhaka South unit of AL will hold a milad and doa mahfil at its temporary office there after Asr prayers.
Hanif, a close aide to Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, was an elected parliament member from Dhaka-12 constituency in 1973 and also served as a whip of the national parliament. He contributed to every democratic movement such as 1969 Mass Upsurge.
He was born on April 1 in 1944 in a noble Muslim family of Dhaka. He got involved in the politics of Chhatra League and then Awami League and became personal secretary of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman in 1965. He was made president of Dhaka City Awami League in 1976.
- People leaning to buy cold clothes
- Bangladesh move 8 notches on Democracy Index
- Child killed in Laxmipur road crash
- Bangladesh take on Burundi in 2nd semifinal tomorrow
- Greece elects first woman president
- S Korean army to discharge transgender soldier
- MP’s son hospitalised after drinking ‘Harpic’
- Paoli Dam in ‘Mahanayika’s role
- Man sentenced to 8 months in jail for killing dog
- Students’ love for Bangabandhu
- Court orders to publish ads asking SK Sinha, 10 others to appear
- Nightlong torture to DU’s 4 students in Abrar style
- Badda lynching case: Probe report Feb 20
- E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
- High levels of Uranium found in Cox’s Bazar
- 48 held in anti-narcotics drive in capital
- Two siblings among 3 electrocuted in Hazaribagh
- India’s SC refuses to stay Citizenship Act
- Mysterious virus: China warns against travel to Wuhan
- Bone-chilling cold in Kurigram, mercury falls to 7.2°C
- Rohingya Genocide: ICJ to announce verdict tomorrow
- Death toll hits 9 with 440 coronavirus cases: China
- 50 shops gutted in Ukhiya fire
- HC bans laminated posters in city polls
- Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
- One year of losing Imtiaz Bulbul
- China’s ‘Coronavirus’ now attacks US, one died
- Demolition of BGMEA building started
- E-passport to be launched today
- Paturia-Daulatdia ferry services resume
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Ticket price of BPL final increased
- Youth killed in road crash after returning home 24 yrs later
- Video of man hugging, kissing pride of lions goes viral
- ‘All coaching centers to remain shut from Jan 25’
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- 28 institutes named after Bangabandhu and family members
- 32% work of Bangabandhu Novo Theatre in Rajshahi completed
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- Russell hero as Rajshahi through final
- Bangabandhu BPL trophy arrives
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Apu Biswas to rock two shows in India
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- Khulna faces Rajshahi in BPL final today
- Flight operations at HSIA still halted today
- 39 killed in intense fighting in Syria’s Idlib
- Bangladesh on right track to attain SDGs: PM
- New complexity in primary teacher recruitment
- Verdict in Myanmar genocide case Jan 23
- Lawmaker Abdul Mannan in ICU
- Bus-ambulance collision kills 2 in Rangpur
- Top 5 batsmen in Bangabandhu BPL
- China’s new virus likely to spread around
- Gabtoli turmoil after throwing eggs
- Arrest warrant against Prothom Alo Editor