Mayor Hanif’s 12th death anniversary tomorrow
Published: 08:28 PM, 27 November 2018 Updated: 08:28 PM, 27 November 2018
The 12th death anniversary of Mohammad Hanif, the first elected mayor of Dhaka City Corporation (DCC) and former president of Dhaka City unit of Awami League (AL), will be observed tomorrow.
Hanif, who suffered critical splinter injuries in the August 21, 2004 grenade attack, died at the city’s Apollo Hospital on November 28, 2006, at the age of 62.
President Md Abdul Hamid, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and Speaker of the Jatiya Sangsad (JS) Dr Shirin Sharmin Chaudhury issued separate messages marking the death anniversary.
In his message, the president said Mohammad Hanif was an honest and sincere politician. No lure could deviate him from his ideology, Hamid added.
In her message, the Prime Minister said Mohammad Hanif will remain alive in the minds of the countrymen as a dedicated, sacrificing, tested and patriotic leader.
The President and the Prime Minister prayed for eternal peace of the departed soul of Mayor Hanif.
Dhaka South City Corporation (DSCC), Dhaka City AL, Mayor Mohammad Hanif Memorial Foundation, Mayor Mohammad Hanif Smriti Sangsad, associate bodies of the ruling AL and different socio-cultural organisations have chalked out elaborate programmes to observe Hanif’s death anniversary.
The programmes include offering ziyarah and holding doa mahfil at his grave at Azimpur Graveyard in the capital and organizing a photo exhibition, memorial meetings and two-week long free health camp.
DSCC will hold a discussion highlighting the life and works of Hanif at Nagar Bhaban at 12 pm tomorrow. Awami League will organize a memorial discussion at 4 pm at its central office in the city’s Bangabandhu Avenue while Dhaka South unit of AL will hold a milad and doa mahfil at its temporary office there after Asr prayers.
Hanif, a close aide to Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, was an elected parliament member from Dhaka-12 constituency in 1973 and also served as a whip of the national parliament. He contributed to every democratic movement such as 1969 Mass Upsurge.
He was born on April 1 in 1944 in a noble Muslim family of Dhaka. He got involved in the politics of Chhatra League and then Awami League and became personal secretary of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman in 1965. He was made president of Dhaka City Awami League in 1976.
- Ukraine`s new president Zelensky calls snap elections
- Flat wicket is good for Liton!
- Opposition could be stronger if Fakhrul would join JS: Quader
- JS body for buying paddy directly from farmers
- BCL dissidents suspend protest
- GM Quader meets Indian High Commissioner
- Moeen urges fans to not heckle Warner, Smith
- Ultrasound: The future of diabetes treatment?
- Everything will be done for farmer: Razzak
- South Korea to invest $6m in Mongla EPZ
- Condition of Khalid Hossain detrioates
- Adverse weather affects Litchi farming in Rangpur
- ‘No public transport run without tickets’
- Ex-husband files lawsuit against Mila
- Rhodes elated to see youngsters takes big stride
- Amir, Wahab named in Pakistan`s World Cup squad
- No traffic congestion in Sujanagar
- No contractual recruitment in edu institutions
- Tigers confidence in hands of expertise
- Life-Changing Lessons from the Quran (Part-2)
- HC seeks inquiry report on corruption at Rooppur plant
- Google restricts Huawei`s use of Android
- ‘Govt wants militancy free economic development’
- HC orders to monitor fruit markets
- Cabinet reshuffled to speed up work: Quader
- 20-points proposals from Jatri Kalyan for safe Eid journey
- Rumin Farhana gets BNP’s reserve seat nomination
- 32 dead in Tajikistan prison riot
- Five matches to be held at the Rose Bowl
- Results of 38th BCS written exam before Eid
- All News »
- Bangladesh easily chased down Ireland`s 292
- Magnitude 7.5 quake hits off Papua New Guinea
- Justice Salma Masud accused of changing court verdict
- People on Mars by 2033 or 2060
- Narayanganj’s Araihazar OC withdrawn
- Bringing flavor back to tomatoes
- Six killed as bus hits tree in Bagerhat
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- May agrees timetable to choose new UK PM
- Protik’s World Cup song ‘Banglar Damal Chelera’
- Poverty rate comes down
- BCL announced full-fledged committee
- Quader returns home this evening
- PM likely to visit 3 countries
- Eid advance bus ticket sale begins
- 3000 tubewells need to free from arsenic
- Quader to join his office today
- Thor actor Isaac Kappy commits suicide
- Two Rohingya human traffickers killed in gunfight
- HC bars use of phrase ‘fake freedom fighter’
- Secret of sensational Majed killings revealed
- Active bullock cart, crisis of day laborer
- World Telecommunication and Information Society Day today
- Man accused in 12 cases killed in gunfight
- Advanced train ticket sale begins May 22
- ‘AL not a political party only, organization also’
- President reaches London
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- Cabinet reshuffle: Murad moved to Info Ministry
- Magistrate`s car attacked in Ctg