Mayor Hanif’s 12th death anniversary tomorrow
Published: 08:28 PM, 27 November 2018 Updated: 08:28 PM, 27 November 2018
The 12th death anniversary of Mohammad Hanif, the first elected mayor of Dhaka City Corporation (DCC) and former president of Dhaka City unit of Awami League (AL), will be observed tomorrow.
Hanif, who suffered critical splinter injuries in the August 21, 2004 grenade attack, died at the city’s Apollo Hospital on November 28, 2006, at the age of 62.
President Md Abdul Hamid, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and Speaker of the Jatiya Sangsad (JS) Dr Shirin Sharmin Chaudhury issued separate messages marking the death anniversary.
In his message, the president said Mohammad Hanif was an honest and sincere politician. No lure could deviate him from his ideology, Hamid added.
In her message, the Prime Minister said Mohammad Hanif will remain alive in the minds of the countrymen as a dedicated, sacrificing, tested and patriotic leader.
The President and the Prime Minister prayed for eternal peace of the departed soul of Mayor Hanif.
Dhaka South City Corporation (DSCC), Dhaka City AL, Mayor Mohammad Hanif Memorial Foundation, Mayor Mohammad Hanif Smriti Sangsad, associate bodies of the ruling AL and different socio-cultural organisations have chalked out elaborate programmes to observe Hanif’s death anniversary.
The programmes include offering ziyarah and holding doa mahfil at his grave at Azimpur Graveyard in the capital and organizing a photo exhibition, memorial meetings and two-week long free health camp.
DSCC will hold a discussion highlighting the life and works of Hanif at Nagar Bhaban at 12 pm tomorrow. Awami League will organize a memorial discussion at 4 pm at its central office in the city’s Bangabandhu Avenue while Dhaka South unit of AL will hold a milad and doa mahfil at its temporary office there after Asr prayers.
Hanif, a close aide to Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, was an elected parliament member from Dhaka-12 constituency in 1973 and also served as a whip of the national parliament. He contributed to every democratic movement such as 1969 Mass Upsurge.
He was born on April 1 in 1944 in a noble Muslim family of Dhaka. He got involved in the politics of Chhatra League and then Awami League and became personal secretary of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman in 1965. He was made president of Dhaka City Awami League in 1976.
- Smith leads RR win in first game as captain
- School campaign on health held in Bhola
- Nusrat Murder: Ruhul Amin placed on 5-day remand
- BNP bins media reports on Khaleda’s parole
- Bangladesh face UAE in Bangamata Gold Cup opener
- Rubana takes office as BGMEA’s first female president
- Holy Shab-e-Barat tomorrow
- 8 JSTU students expelled
- Nusrat ‘Hero’: Pulitzer winner US journalist
- 495 foreigners in prison: HM
- Zidane`s reasons for wanting to sign Pogba
- CID finds money transaction link to Nusrat murder
- Paddy-garlic’s companion crop
- Two-day BPO Summit begins tomorrow
- Hales takes break due to `personal reasons`
- Paranormal investigator Lorraine Warren passes away
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Hardik, Rahul fined for ‘sexist’ chat show remarks
- DMP bans fireworks on Shab-e-Barat
- Snakes force Liberian President Weah out of office
- Bumper mango output expected in Rangpur
- “If cops negligence found, they to be trialed”
- Ministry building under attack in Kabul
- PM flies to Brunei tomorrow
- Adele separates from husband
- PM orders to send Subir Nandi’s medical papers to Singapore
- New identity of Porimoni
- ‘Amar Pita Sheikh Mujib’ festival to be inaugurated today
- Dry weather likely over country
- Gunmen attack party in Mexico, killing 13
- All News »
- Nusrat murder: Last accused Kader arrested
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Messi rested for United as Barca draws 0-0 at Huesca
- `First` 3D print of heart with human tissue, vessels unveiled
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Probe team of police going to Sonagazi
- Water transport workers’ strike detaches Bhola
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- PBI searching 12 people involved in Nusrat murder
- Google takes on ‘Africa’s challenges’ in Ghana
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Three robbers lynched in Feni
- Tofail asks DUCSU leaders to work for all students
- 3 to die for killing RU prof Shafiul
- Nation set to celebrate Pahela Baishakh tomorrow
- Nusrat murder: ‘Shampa’ Poppy arrested
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- Sudan`s Bashir moved to prison as protesters rally
- Swecchasebok League leader found dead in Savar
- Jute mill workers go on 96-hour strike
- Journalist Zafar Wazed new PIB DG
- Miscreants kill Bogura BNP leader
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- Mild quake jolts Ctg, Bandarban
- PM gives job to Nusrat’s brother
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- Pahela Baishakh being celebrated
- Nusrat murder: Suspect Moni held