Matarbari Deep Sea Port’s construction work begins soon
Published: 05:05 PM, 6 February 2020 Updated: 07:15 PM, 6 February 2020
The Matarbari Deep Sea Port is finally being constructed at a cost of Tk 17,000 crore which is expected to be opened by the end of 2026, in the meantime, the government is hoping to start the construction of two large jetties soon.
Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) will provide a loan of Tk 13,253 crore for the ‘Matarbari Port Development’ project at Dhalghat area in Moheskhali Upazila of Cox’s Bazar and Tk 2740 crore will provide from government’s funds and the rest will be provided from other companies.
The Ministry of Shipping has recently forwarded the Development Project Proposal (DPP) to the Planning Commission. The proposal states that Bangladesh’s cargo handling capacity will be increased through the project titled ‘Matarbari Port Development’ which will play a role in meeting the future international trade demand and ensuring rapid port service with neighboring countries.
According to DPP, two jetties — one is the 300-meter length and another is 460-meter length — will be constructed at Matarbari Sea Port under the project. These jetties will be able to handle 8,000 TEU container ships at a depth of 16-meters.
At Chittagong port, ships of more than 9.5 meters depth could not be handled, as a result, mother vessels could not enter the port jetty. The containers are being transported by feeder ships.
According to the data of Chittagong port, 3500 to 3800 imported TEU containers are being handled on a daily basis where only one ship of maximum 2000 TEU containers can be crowded. But Colombo, India, Chennai, and Karachi ports can handle more than twice the capacity of ships. In view of this, the Matarbari seaport would be a better option for Bangladesh in transporting more seaport containers through vessel drafts.
Shipping Secretary Abdus Samad said deep seaport would bring a radical change in the overall economy of the country. The new port will be the milestone in the path of development from underdeveloped countries to developing countries. “The Fast Track Project Monitoring Committee of the Prime Minister’s Office is overseeing the project directly. We hope that this project will be implemented quickly and successfully.”
Besides the construction of two jetties under the project, cargo handling equipment will also be purchased, he also said adding, “In addition, relevant equipment and link roads will be constructed. With the approval of the project this year, work will be completed by 2026,”
According to the DPP, two key gantry cranes, one multi gantry crane, six RTGs, two Rich Stackers, and 12-yard tractor chassis will be purchased under the project. At the same time, three tugboats, a pilot boat, a survey boat will be purchased for the relevant benefit. Apart from this, four-lane roads of 26.7 km will be constructed.
The country’s imports and exports are increasing. Container handling at the Chittagong port also increasing rapidly. Even the port is also importing and exporting. So there is no alternative to building one more seaport for handling a large number of ships and containers.
With the launch of the port, on the one hand, the import and export of the country will increase, while on the other hand, the pressure on the Chittagong port will be reduced. Such a deep seaport will help the economy of Bangladesh.
In February last year, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina laid the foundation stone of a coal-fired power plant with a production capacity of 1,200 MW at Matarbari.
The likelihood of building a deep seaport using the same channel was seen for importing power plant coals and for channels and terminals that will be built upto 16-meters depth and 20-meters width for the release of coal from the ship. Depending on this channel, the deep seaport will be built so that no new channel does not need to build.
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 87,000
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 87,000
- Lockdown imposed in Khulna
- Infected physician sent to Dhaka from Sylhet
- 3 more infected with coronavirus in Chattogram
- Dengue claims 254 Indonesian lives amid coronavirus
- PM’s gift distributed among 1150 auto-rickshaw drivers
- Six reasons to why men prefer living alone
- Jamalpur under complete lockdown
- Another infected with coronavirus in Jamalpur
- Red flags on 20 houses in Chandpur
- All Rohingya camps ‘lockdown’
- Erdogan tweeted greeting for Shab-e-Barat
- 15-member medical team arriving from China
- 7 samples collected for coronavirus test in Kazipur
- Narsingdi set to lockdown from tomorrow
- 29 fined for violating ‘stay home’ rules in capital
- Agrani Bank officer infected; principal branch locked down
- Youth held for spreading rumors over coronavirus on Facebook
- Over 3 lakh people recovered from coronavirus
- Kopotakkho entering locality by breaching embankment
- Stokes becomes Wisden leading cricketer of the year
- Uthappa eyeing India WC team comeback
- COVID-19 patient escapes from Dhaka now at Rajbari isolation
- ‘Do not visit cemetery, shrines on Shab-e-Barat night’
- Chhatak Youth missing on his way to Turkey
- Popular singer John Prine dies from coronavirus
- Now Cox’s Bazar lockdown
- COVID-19 death toll surpasses 83,000
- 34 samples collected for corona test from Bogura
- All News »
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- Sylhet records 1st coronavirus case
- Army to go tough from today
- BTV bringing back Humayun Ahmed’s ‘Bohubrihi’ ‘Kothao Keu Nei’
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- Bangabandhu’s killer Abdul Majed held
- Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Soldiers get urgent medical equips from Army Aviation
- Indian-origin South African HIV researcher dies from coronavirus
- Why today’s Supermoon `pink`
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- Bashundhara, Wari lockdown
- 13-year-old dies of coronavirus in London
- 5 more die from coronavirus, 41 fresh cases detected
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- Ban on public transport extended till April 11
- Coronavirus test in Rangpur Medical begins
- Narsingdi house lockdown over coronavirus suspicion
- Prince Charles recovers from coronavirus
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- 4 more die from coronavirus, taking total to 13: Health Minister
- 33 coronavirus patients recovered
- 9 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 70
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 63,000
- 29 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 117
- Bachchu’s “Shei Tumi” storms in online in India